Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The Long Highway - Studio version  (Read 12696 times)

Love Expresso

Re: The Long Highway - Studio version
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2017, 07:52:14 AM »
Ok folks next time I will use pm, promised!  :lol

LE

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2017, 07:54:20 AM »
Ok folks next time I will use pm, promised!  :lol

LE

It's been fun to turn this into a Babel tower for a while LOL
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2017, 09:14:39 AM »
Those were the times... put out  as an appetizer for the STP album, that maxi-CD had four tracks on it: What It is, Let's See You, Long Highway and Camerado.. pure quality!

I also fell in love with The Long Highway studio Version immediately with the first listen and agree that it is one of his very best songs! Connecting it live with Going Home back in 1996 was really a brilliant idea and a phantastic  show closer. How surprised I was at the Hamburg show to get a new song at the end of an already more-than-phantastic concert! June 8th 1996 best concert I ever attended, I guess...  Hey joko Servus und Moin!

LE

Yeah, great times. But no reason to be overly nostalgic, in my opinion. Actually, I reacted to "Follow the Ribbon" the same way as I reacted to "Long Highway" back then – with tears. The similarities are striking: Both fantastic songs, both very emotional, both released as bonus tracks, only, for whatever strange reason ... Anyway, I'm glad that they exist and shouldn't complain.

Did I complain? :hmm

LE

No, I did, this was me trying to keep myself from complaining. About the fact that he sometimes excludes his greatest songs from the albums. We can be glad to get them at all, that's what I was trying to say. No offense.

Love Expresso

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2017, 09:45:24 AM »
We now have more songs than ever, even if some of them turn up in silly boxes...  ;)
But I remember very well my fears how I should handle a "normal"  album after Privateering. .. and then the Tracker had nearly as many songs.. on one CD.. really a long and rich journey. I hope he keeps it this way. I know discussions about quantity vs. quality. I just love to have so much stuff to delve into and make discoveries sometimes even one year after release...

LE
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 09:48:16 AM by Love Expresso »

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2017, 10:03:39 AM »
I know discussions about quantity vs. quality.
LE

Tracker has both.    It's my favourite MK album and I haven't tired of listening!     :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Love Expresso

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2017, 10:50:07 AM »
Same here! 

LE

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2017, 03:37:39 PM »
Eu me enganei, eu tinha a versão estendida em uma coletânea pirata que eu fiz em casa, o meu cd original tem a versão normal...

Entiendo, muchas gracias por comprobarlo  :thumbsup

You're welcome:) I got confused cos I remember very clearly driving to a gig in a city nearby listening to the longer version. As soon as my girl handed me my long lost friend I opened it and there was the proper disc and... my compilation. There used to be a fair two or three-week delay after an album was released in Europe and North America before we could buy it over here so we would download everything we could before buying the real thing. Somehow I got that version. Lucky me... I had no idea that was from a mexican promo single until you mentioned that. Mistery solved. I love this forum.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlineprimi

• Camerado
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2017, 11:23:13 PM »
A wonderful song indeed, but personally I am not too fond of the rhythmical accents on 1 and 2 in the studio version, still very good though.

There also is the DVD-A version which got hi-res stereo and a 5.1 surround mix (containing the 8 extra bars at the start of the STP solo, as on the PI compilation). Furthermore, there is the STP maxi single which got live in the studio versions of Baloney Again, Going Home (both very good, just MK+Guy) and El Macho (not so good, usual promo band).
Is it known where this Going Home live version came from by any chance? It'm guessing it's the Wild theme if it's just MK + Guy?

Offlinemschaap

• Camerado
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2017, 09:43:09 AM »
If I remember well they came from a session for German radio WDR.
The question of it being Wild Theme or Going Home seems not so easy to answer. On the Local Hero record Wild Theme directly starts at that main melody the two titles share, the chorus if it was a song. Going Home is of course the full band version but that one exclusively has that whole build up towards that main melody, to me that is a major compositional part. That part being present in a live version technically makes it Going Home for me, although being it performed in an arrangement like Wild Theme.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 09:48:32 AM by mschaap »

OfflineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2017, 09:56:44 AM »
If I remember well they came from a session for German radio WDR.
The question of it being Wild Theme or Going Home seems not so easy to answer. On the Local Hero record Wild Theme directly starts at that main melody the two titles share, the chorus if it was a song. Going Home is of course the full band version but that one exclusively has that whole build up towards that main melody, to me that is a major compositional part. That part being present in a live version technically makes it Going Home for me, although being it performed in an arrangement like Wild Theme.

On the Encores EP this variant is listed as 'Local Hero (Wild Theme)', this is also how it was played during the 91/92, 2001 and 2005 tours. I don't think Wild Theme was ever played live as it was recorded on the soundtrack.

Offlinemschaap

• Camerado
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2017, 12:23:21 PM »
I believe the live versions always have been the same somekind of hybrid version played stripped down to keys and guitar or with full band. The encores/OTN version is also used on the SOS compilation and listed as 'Local Hero / Wild Theme'. On the contrary on the official STP single it is listed as 'Going Home'. And I have to correct myself as it was recorded for Taratata, Italy in november 2000. The other two tracks were indeed recorded at WDR 2 studios, Cologne in october 2000. Another odd thing about this particular Local Hero version is that although played stripped down MK used the Les Paul instead of a strat (at least that is what my ears tell me), the only other time that happened I know of is Music for Montserrat 1997.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 12:26:42 PM by mschaap »

Offlinebinone

• Lady writer
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2017, 12:26:47 PM »
Any of you have any of this official material?

Mark Knopfler   Remembrance day   1CD-single   Vertigo   REMEMBERCJ1   2009   2 track, promotion CD-single, slimline jewel case, UK edition
Mark Knopfler   Cleaning my gun   1CD-single   Reprise   PRO-CDR-524023   2010   1 track, promotion CD-single, jewel case, USA edition
Mark Knopfler   Hard shoulder   1CD-single   Universal   -   2010   1 track, promotion CD-single, slimline jewel case, CD-R release, Dutch edition
Mark Knopfler   Redbud tree   1CD-single   Universal   -   2012   1 track, promotion CD-single, slimline jewel case, CD-R release, Dutch edition
Mark Knopfler   Redbud tree   1CD-single   Mercury   -   2012   1 track, promotion CD-single, plastic sleeve, CD-R release
Mark Knopfler   Redbud tree   1CD-single   Mercury   -   2012   1 track, promotion CD-single, plastic sleeve, CD-R release

Mark Knopfler   Privateering   1CD-single   Mercury   -   2012   3 track, promotion CD-single, plastic sleeve, CD-R release
Mark Knopfler   Privateering - Sampler   1CD-single   Mercury   -   2012   5 track, promotion CD-single, jewel case, CD-R release

Mark Knopfler   Corned beef city   1CD-single   Universal   -   2013   1 track, promotion CD-single, slimline jewel case, CD-R release, Dutch edition
Mark Knopfler   Going Home (Theme of the Local Hero) Live 2014   Digital download   UMC   -   2014   Official track, not released on CD or DVD, issued for the Great North Run 2014
Mark Knopfler   Beryl   1CD-single   Universal   -   2015   2 track, promotion CD-single, plastic sleeve, CD-R release, UK edition
Mark Knopfler   Beryl   1CD-single   Universal   -   2015   1 track, promotion CD-single, slimline jewel case, CD-R release, Dutch edition

Mark Knopfler   Skydiver   1CD-single   Virgin EMI Records   -   2015
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 12:36:18 PM by binone »

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2017, 01:28:19 PM »
I have some, easy to find in eBay or discogs. Some of them are quite rare.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2017, 02:33:46 PM »
Never been a collector of these.  If they released different versions like the so-called Mexican Promo WII then they would be worth buying, but frankly I just don't see the point.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2017, 04:03:41 PM »
Collections doesn't have a point  :lol

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 44 queries.