Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: MFN rights  (Read 1690 times)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
MFN rights
« on: August 31, 2017, 11:17:10 AM »
I saw Despicable Me 3 at the movies yesterday with my daughters and at the end there's the MFN riff.
I wonder : as the music is credited by MK and Sting, does Sting get money back of the use of the song in the film ?

if so, it's a litlle bit unfair imho. I would understand he would get money back for the "don't stand so close to me / I want my MTV" line, but for the guitar riff...

in general, if the MFN guitar riff is used in miovies or in adds, do you think that each time Sting get royalties for that ?

of course songs rights can not be divided in chorus/verses/bridge sections, it would be too much tricky, but in this case, knowing that Sting "owns" rights on a music that he did not really composed...

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: MFN rights
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 11:56:28 AM »
But he's the composer anyway. It's like Nick Mason is the official composer of Speak to Me, but you know this is not entirely true.

The best part about it all is when I read this interview with Sting one day, about his time on Montserrat and Brothers In Arms being recorded... He said some remarkable lines, something like, "I thought there was going to be a battle" about the rights for Money For Nothing, but it turned out that there was no battle at all and he just received the rights with zero resistance from MK and his attorneys. I want to find this interview again.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.024 seconds with 39 queries.