Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: 3 Chord Trick (Legacy)  (Read 88687 times)

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: 3 Chord Trick (Legacy)
« Reply #435 on: January 22, 2018, 11:38:48 PM »
Guys, I don’t know about other countries but I think I’m qualified to talk about Brazil...

People are going to these gigs thinking they’re about to see DS with a new frontman. That’s the way it’s sold and the band knows it. If they didn’t they wouldn’t have a logo with Dire Straits written in huge capitol letters with a tiny legacy reference below it. What they’re doing is outrageous, disgusting, putrid.

My friend who went to the show sent me that photo, he truly thought he’d just seen a Dire Straits concert. Keep in mind that Mark hasn’t been here in 17 years, nobody apart from true fans and guitar players knows he’s got a solid solo career. Brazil is not in Europe... that’s the price you pay for ignoring an entire continent for so long. You get forgotten! If at least he released Blu-rays maybe general audiences would still be familiar with his name and his face but we know that’s not the case.

There’s a reason why these guys have come to Brazil twice in less than a year. And I’ve just told you what it is.

Love your reasonable style of writing man. And also because the situation in Russia is quite the same... And you made me think and I just realised that on my channel I have most of the views (25% almost) from the only two countries Mark "tours" properly — US and Germany (sorry German folks, but the amount of MK concerts in Germany always makes me sick, and I know I'm not the only one).

And The Legacy guys also tours in Russia a lot maybe for this exact reason you described. Because we're also the "third world" country :'(

Oh, sorry, gotta go now, there's a Dire Straits concert's here soon and I can't miss on that one :-X

Offlinepeterromer

• Camerado
« Reply #436 on: January 23, 2018, 10:40:14 AM »
I also believe that promoters and journalists may have got it wrong or dont even care.   

The bottom line for me is that the album "3 Chord Trick" is a quite good album. The song "Looking For America" is a great song. I wish MK would write a song like that. MK´s guitar on that track would have made it a big hit.

Does anyone know much the album has sold ?

« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 10:44:12 AM by peterromer »
Cheers Peter

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #437 on: January 23, 2018, 10:52:58 AM »
I also believe that promoters and journalists may have got it wrong or dont even care.   

No Peter... promoters and journalist made it because the band members, as evil as they are, ordered to them to do that under menaces... promoters, as angelical they are, that they never do such things to sell the gigs whatever is done, had to do it... their life was under risk.

The bottom line for me is that the album "3 Chord Trick" is a quite good album. The song "Looking For America" is a great song. I wish MK would write a song like that. MK´s guitar on that track would have made it a big hit.

Does anyone know much the album has sold ?

The album is quite good in my opinion, it gets played at least once a week in my car stereo, sometimes all the week in repeat.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineDS

• Local Hero
« Reply #438 on: January 23, 2018, 11:08:15 AM »
No Peter... promoters and journalist made it because the band members, as evil as they are, ordered to them to do that under menaces... promoters, as angelical they are, that they never do such things to sell the gigs whatever is done, had to do it... their life was under risk.

Of course this comes from promoters, but I think the issue here is that the Legacy members are ok with it (or at least they give this impression). And why would they be okay with it? Oh, right...
Tracker - Lucca 2015
DTRW - Lucca 2019

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #439 on: January 23, 2018, 11:13:44 AM »

Of course this comes from promoters, but I think the issue here is that the Legacy members are ok with it (or at least they give this impression). And why would they be okay with it? Oh, right...

They were announced in Italy once as Dire Straits, with no other mention of Legends/LEgacy etc and they had an argument with the promoters about it but all was done so there was nothing they could do. They talk about this incident from time to time.

John Illsley and David Knopfler got announced with Dire Straits even bigger than its own names too frequently. You can't control all the promoters in the world, and in the end you know they are going to do whatever they can to sell the shows...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #440 on: January 23, 2018, 02:01:28 PM »
Is it that hard to consider that maybe promoters AND band are to blame?

There is a huge difference between David Knopfler of Dire Straits or Dire Straits' founder John Illsley and DIRE STRAITS legacy, don't you think?

Come on, interviews have been posted here. The TV host announces them as Dire Straits and they never deny or correct it. They know what's going on, they are part of the problem. If they really wanted to avoid any misleading promotion they wouldn't have adopted the band name they 'chose'.

Regarding their album, its quality is irrelevant in the given context. I particulary liked it despite the atrocious vocals. Of course Mark's songs are far superior, the difference is huge, and the tune Peter mentioned is the worst one in my opinion. And if that's so good with so much effort and passion invested in it why not tour promoting it under the name Legacy instead of acting like scavengers? Make no mistake, they know what they are doing and they know people are being fooled.

If that's ok or not it depends on a number of things I won't list here. To me they are just 'shadows passing through'.

And last but not least, it's Mark's fault as well. If he hadn't ignored South America for so long people would know this band is a fraud. But since he doesn't seem to care about us I don't think he will mind what Alan and his gang are doing. At least he shouldn't.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 02:18:05 PM by Eddie Fox »
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #441 on: January 23, 2018, 02:12:24 PM »
Pavel, cancelling those Russian concerts was a huge mistake. Mark punished the fans, not the government or any institution. Just really bad management and lack of sensibility.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #442 on: January 23, 2018, 02:31:02 PM »
These are David and John promoting their tours:

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #443 on: January 23, 2018, 02:34:38 PM »
Now the DSL way... if not bigger make it red! The funniest bit is that when they write they are former members they do it in English... Honestly...

OfflineD44mu

• Guitar George
« Reply #444 on: January 23, 2018, 04:58:29 PM »
For me it is an big differnce: John Illsley of Dire Straits or Dire Straits Legacy.
When i saw the poster of Dire Straits Legacy the first thing that came in my mind:
"On the road again in cabaret
Grey hair and Fenders
Old ghosts revisited today
No original members"

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #445 on: January 23, 2018, 05:43:31 PM »
Eddie Fox  :thumbsup

D44mu   :thumbsup
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #446 on: January 23, 2018, 06:13:36 PM »
Mark has a very loose attitude to all this. Danny Cummings plays on  new album MK 8)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #447 on: January 23, 2018, 09:00:58 PM »
Mark has a very loose attitude to all this. Danny Cummings plays on  new album MK 8)

But he doesn't have a choice. Telling something = free advertising, telling something bad = free advertising and anti-advertising on himself.
Danny's situation is a great demonstration of MK being not a despot at all. As long as you can play and love music, nothing is stopping you.

Pretty sure if Alan and Co. would be somewhat useful for Mark, they'd play whatever they want with whoever they want. But they're not.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 09:05:23 PM by quizzaciously »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 38 queries.