Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Local Hero - musical  (Read 168737 times)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Re: Local Hero - musical
« Reply #600 on: April 08, 2019, 12:47:03 PM »
Many thanks, jbaent, for your wonderful review!   Roll on Wednesday!    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineskydiver

• Camerado
« Reply #601 on: April 08, 2019, 12:49:13 PM »
Thanks for your report!
Yes, hopefully the London run will have the same cast.
Were there any souvenirs available at the theatre besides the programm?
Were any posters available to buy?

Onlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #602 on: April 08, 2019, 12:56:24 PM »
Thanks for your report!

Just the programmes, posters and a bag... very handy specially if it rains, as happened on saturday.

About the programmes. Now they cost 6 pounds, so they are probably bigger than the programms solds at the previews, that costed 3.5 pounds.

In the new programe, ths song "I hope you hadnt change on me" is not listed anymore. If someone has a copy of that first programme, please send me a pm as I would like to have it too!
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #603 on: April 08, 2019, 02:34:31 PM »
Thanks for your report!

Just the programmes, posters and a bag... very handy specially if it rains, as happened on saturday.

About the programmes. Now they cost 6 pounds, so they are probably bigger than the programms solds at the previews, that costed 3.5 pounds.

In the new programe, ths song "I hope you hadnt change on me" is not listed anymore. If someone has a copy of that first programme, please send me a pm as I would like to have it too!

I remember we discussed the changes to the programme due to the price increase.  Seems they've taken something away and increase the cost!  Still, I didn't have the option of posters and tote bags - lol.

Thanks for your review, it was great to meet up again and to meet your friends too. Now looking forward to Wednesday, meeting some more AMITers and going to the evening show!

P.S.  Check your PM's for a scan of my programme.

"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Onlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #604 on: April 08, 2019, 02:37:47 PM »
The new program has a lot of pages and pictures, I'd say that 6 pounds is cheaper than MK programs having the same or less information but more expensive!

I wonder how many pages had the original program.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #605 on: April 08, 2019, 02:43:51 PM »
The new program has a lot of pages and pictures, I'd say that 6 pounds is cheaper than MK programs having the same or less information but more expensive!

I wonder how many pages had the original program.

27 Pages.  Good biographies of the cast, creative team, musicians and list of the songs.  Only really one picture of Mark which is in the lobby anyway.  Pictures of the cast in Pennan and at rehearsals.  Possible future collectors item...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 05:18:50 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinegoon525

• Camerado
« Reply #606 on: April 08, 2019, 04:51:54 PM »
I'd agree that by modern standards the programme is very fair value, it's well produced and informative.

OfflineKris-b

• Camerado
« Reply #607 on: April 08, 2019, 05:27:46 PM »
I'm just back from my trip to Edinburgh...

I was a nice travel, where I had a lovely time with one amiter that I know from very long time, Mr DMG, who shared some hours with us, digging in the misty Edinburgh, thanks for your company mate, may many interesting facts about Edinburgh, I just wished my English would had been better to understand the 100% of it, LOL

The musical was quite a great experience, I was totally delighted with it. The first half is just amazing. Funny, emotive... I cried during some parts and I realized how right was when I decided to buy tickets for it. The best decision ever.

The second half was more relaxed but with some funny moments as well, more emotive and reflexive than the first part but great too.

The songs... if you concentrate in the music played by the band, all of them are clearly written by MK. You can hear very familiar melodies specially from the MK solo career, and the lyrics, and the singing, there are some tracks that you can clearly see MK singing them when he did the demos as they have that touch, that feeling, that special way of singing the melodies, and the songs sung by the company, some of them typical musical numbers, they still have a certain MK touch and they made me feel very proud about MK being able to write something so different to his usual style and at the same time, being as good as one could expect from a musical.

The cast was splendid. I specially loved the actor that played GORDON, he did a great job, and also MAC and STELLA, but also the other members of the cast were so great that I hope they will be in the London cast as well.

I had decided that I went to London next year as well. I loved it so much!

You really expressed all oft my thoughts!

And yes, I will see it in London too!

Onlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #608 on: April 08, 2019, 05:33:36 PM »
I still laugh when recall that tango dance during "in an ideal world"  :lol

OfflineKris-b

• Camerado
« Reply #609 on: April 08, 2019, 06:50:28 PM »
Would be great to be able to listen to all those songs again. There were so many that it is hard to recall them all.

OnlineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #610 on: April 09, 2019, 07:40:57 PM »
I'm just back from my trip to Edinburgh...

I was a nice travel, where I had a lovely time with one amiter that I know from very long time, Mr DMG, who shared some hours with us, digging in the misty Edinburgh, thanks for your company mate, may many interesting facts about Edinburgh, I just wished my English would had been better to understand the 100% of it, LOL

The musical was quite a great experience, I was totally delighted with it. The first half is just amazing. Funny, emotive... I cried during some parts and I realized how right was when I decided to buy tickets for it. The best decision ever.

The second half was more relaxed but with some funny moments as well, more emotive and reflexive than the first part but great too.

The songs... if you concentrate in the music played by the band, all of them are clearly written by MK. You can hear very familiar melodies specially from the MK solo career, and the lyrics, and the singing, there are some tracks that you can clearly see MK singing them when he did the demos as they have that touch, that feeling, that special way of singing the melodies, and the songs sung by the company, some of them typical musical numbers, they still have a certain MK touch and they made me feel very proud about MK being able to write something so different to his usual style and at the same time, being as good as one could expect from a musical.

The cast was splendid. I specially loved the actor that played GORDON, he did a great job, and also MAC and STELLA, but also the other members of the cast were so great that I hope they will be in the London cast as well.

I had decided that I went to London next year as well. I loved it so much!

Thanks jbaent :thumbsup
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlineskydiver

• Camerado
« Reply #611 on: April 10, 2019, 10:41:37 AM »
While waiting for some news concerning live recordings of the DTRW tour I am wondering...

if it is really such a good idea to postpone an official CD release of the musical.
If Guy says he is the one who will make the (cast) recording, it won't see the light of day before autumn 2020 at the earliest.
The run at the Old Vic starts in June 2020 and he won't do a recording till they have a few weeks of performances behind them (then mixing, pressing, etc.).
Unless the Old Vic has a considerably longer run of the show than Edinburgh, the release will fall into the later half of the run and therefore most people won't be able to buy the CD when they have seen the show. I think this will considerably reduce album sales.

For me a major reason for Bleecker Street not meeting their expected sales lies in their delayed offering of live recordings after the shows (and I emailed them about it back then).
I think they sell best immediately after people have seen the show.
So I can't stop thinking how MK management will go about things this tour and with the musical.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 10:51:19 AM by skydiver »

Onlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #612 on: April 11, 2019, 12:14:04 PM »
I liked so much the new songs during the representation and I burned the songs from the audience recording in a cd and I have it in the car all the week and I have to say that I'm loving them more and more... A commercial release would be great specially for all the people that attended the Edinburgh representations and to all that will attend the London ones.

Actually, many fans that attended Edinburgh told me that they probably will go to London next year as well. I will if I can.

The songs are, most of them, beautiful. Very typical MK melodies and the lyrics are what MK uses to call "portrait songs", portraits of the characters, their feelings etc, some of them quite touching. "Houston We Have A Problem" is a favorite to me, also "Rocks And Water", "I wonder If I Come Home Again" and "Game Over", that songs are between my MK whole career favorites.

I know that being part of a musical will make some fans won't listen to them or doing with prejudice, but I only can be sorry for them. They are beautiful songs.

Even the musical numbers have emotional moments, very well composed and sung, that totally worth to be listened and they are very enjoyable by themselves.

I find that it's a mistake to wait so much until a commercial release, they should had recorded before they started to rehearse for the tour, or just after the press night, and be selling it right now with all the good critics the musical is having, but, at least, there is an audience recording to listen and enjoy the songs until the commercial release goes out, that we all going to buy for sure.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #613 on: April 11, 2019, 01:03:23 PM »
I liked so much the new songs during the representation and I burned the songs from the audience recording in a cd and I have it in the car all the week and I have to say that I'm loving them more and more... A commercial release would be great specially for all the people that attended the Edinburgh representations and to all that will attend the London ones.

Actually, many fans that attended Edinburgh told me that they probably will go to London next year as well. I will if I can.

The songs are, most of them, beautiful. Very typical MK melodies and the lyrics are what MK uses to call "portrait songs", portraits of the characters, their feelings etc, some of them quite touching. "Houston We Have A Problem" is a favorite to me, also "Rocks And Water", "I wonder If I Come Home Again" and "Game Over", that songs are between my MK whole career favorites.

I know that being part of a musical will make some fans won't listen to them or doing with prejudice, but I only can be sorry for them. They are beautiful songs.

Even the musical numbers have emotional moments, very well composed and sung, that totally worth to be listened and they are very enjoyable by themselves.

I find that it's a mistake to wait so much until a commercial release, they should had recorded before they started to rehearse for the tour, or just after the press night, and be selling it right now with all the good critics the musical is having, but, at least, there is an audience recording to listen and enjoy the songs until the commercial release goes out, that we all going to buy for sure.

100% agree with all you've said....The music is nothing but exceptional. 
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineMillionaire Blues

• Camerado
« Reply #614 on: April 13, 2019, 10:16:00 PM »
Blown away by this project...mark's talent is beyond imagination...

Rocks and water a personal highlight..

Just wish we could hear Mark singing these tunes..

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 38 queries.