Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: TOL demo?  (Read 4181 times)

Offlineybot

• Camerado
TOL demo?
« on: February 16, 2018, 06:34:32 PM »

In case it is not, it must be their inicial live gigs
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 06:39:17 PM by Dutchessy »

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
Re: TOL demo?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 06:40:17 PM »
that's only a live

the demo exists with MK guitar intro instead of the piano
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 06:46:01 PM »
Yes, this one

Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlineybot

• Camerado
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 10:07:06 PM »
Old grey Whistle 1980 concert was in nov 29th 1980, he played the schecter strato red, next week he played in Dormont, by dic 10th 1980
He played the schecter sunburst .
We know mark's Sunburst was stolen and after thet he played another replica instead
But, these 2 gigs were done within 10 days
Do you know the cause?

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 10:43:22 PM »
Old grey Whistle 1980 concert was in nov 29th 1980, he played the schecter strato red, next week he played in Dormont, by dic 10th 1980
He played the schecter sunburst .
We know mark's Sunburst was stolen and after thet he played another replica instead
But, these 2 gigs were done within 10 days
Do you know the cause?

The stolen guitar was quite different looking to the Sunburst we know and love.  Not sure about specs though - out of my depth here!

"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineybot

• Camerado
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 10:50:43 PM »
As he played with the old stolen guitar few songs ( telegraph road, TOL, which else?) I guess he bought it by 1979.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 10:51:57 PM »
as always, when you need accuate infos about Mark's gear, there's only one site : Ingo's one
http://www.mk-guitar.com/mark-knopfler-gear-database/schecter-dream-machine-sunburst-1980-stolen/

The orignal sunbrst schecter strat was stolen before the promo tour started. (in august 80 ?)
this guitar was probably bought (with other schecters) in NY in spring 80 (we don't see it on Arena documentary, in march 80), so around april-may 80
I don't know exactly when the sunburst replaced one was bought. was it between these two dates ? or was it before, i.e just at the start of the tour ?

On promo TV tour, I guess he brought not all his gear, so maybe only one guitar for all songs being played (TOL, but also skateaway, expresso love, etc..)
 I think That's why he played TOl with the red strat here. But maybe it also could be because the sunburst replaced one was bought after...
in this case it would mean that TOl was played on the red strat on firts gigs of the OL tour (Portland, San Francisco, LA...all gigs during octobre-november)

Ingo any ideas ?

Offlineybot

• Camerado
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 11:19:28 PM »
About the new Sunburst: was it played the last time at Sidney 1986?
It could be played in 1987 and 1988 but by june 1988 Mark started his brand new MK1 to the ende of OES tour 1992

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 11:32:10 PM »
About the new Sunburst: was it played the last time at Sidney 1986?
It could be played in 1987 and 1988 but by june 1988 Mark started his brand new MK1 to the ende of OES tour 1992

not to the end of the OES tour. The MK1 was played in 96 (sultans, TR, gravy train...)

Sydney wasn't the last gig with the new sunburst. he played it at the prince trust in june 86
After that I don't know, maybe for session stuff in 87 ?

Offlineybot

• Camerado
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 11:54:17 PM »
Prince trust 86 he played MFN and yes he played a song with Tina Turner.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 12:00:06 AM »
Prince trust 86 he played MFN and yes he played a song with Tina Turner.
yes and also the last song with McCartney (and Tina) : Mark plays the sunburst, doing the duckwalk

OfflineIngo

• Camerado
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 11:15:29 AM »

The stolen guitar was quite different looking to the Sunburst we know and love.  Not sure about specs though - out of my depth here!

Right, it was stolen after a rehearsal in Greenwich in 1980. It had the serial number S8136, a two-tone sunburst on a flamed birch body, a F400T loaded pickguard, a brass tremolo, and a birdseye maple neck with dots. The output jack was on the body top, not on the side as on the S8001 replacement Schecter.

It was played on Tunnel of Love and probably on some more songs of the Making Movies album. I recently build replicas of Mark's dream machines with mahogani, ash and birch bodies and can for this reason state that Expresso love also sounds like the birch Strat to my ears.

There are only a handful of pictures of this guitar available, and only two in colour, all from the same photo session in the rehearsal room, shot by Adrian Boot.

my Mark Knopfler guitar style website:
http://www.mk-guitar.com/

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2018, 08:45:12 PM »
Ingo, when do you think the new sunburst was bought ?

was it at the start of the tour ? in this case, why Mark used the red strat for TOL in late november ? was it, as I suggested, because he brought not all his guitars for TV promo ?

or was it in late november / early december ? this would explain why he used the red one on 29th november, and the sunburst in Dortmund few days later

do we have some pictures from october/november 80 ? with the new sunburst strat ?

OfflineBrunno Nunes- (Universo Dire Straits)

• Camerado
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 12:16:34 AM »
I was checking my 1980 photo files and found no picture of Mark with the guitar that was stolen, (in addition to the sessions that Ingo mentioned), as well as his replacement-schecter sunburst-dream machine. I believe that after the original was stolen, it took some time to make the schecter sunburst-dream machine that came to replace. So most likely the American tour in 1980, Mark still did not have his schecter sunburst-dream machine, he played TOL with the schecter strato red. The first image of the schecter sunburst-dream machine seems to be that of the show in Dortmund 9.12.1980.
Visit my Blog- Universo dire Straits (Since 2007) http://universodirestraits.blogspot.com.br/

Offlineybot

• Camerado
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2018, 12:28:57 AM »
He could probably buy it within nov 30th to dec 8th 1980

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 38 queries.