Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Question from an old DS fan  (Read 8073 times)

OfflinePierre

• Camerado
    • Youtube channel
Re: Question from an old DS fan
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2020, 04:57:52 PM »

Very true. In fact, does mark like any of his work ever? Lol...

Yes he does!

Read that Mark have to say about The Bug, Wild West End, songs like that. The But probably got the worst treatment by Mark so far, I get a feeling he’s not satisfied with this song at all. Sometimes you’re the windshield, sometimes you’re the bug...

At least he played the Bug live a lot which cannot be said for all of his compositions, that must mean he is not so dissatisfied with it as to shelve it for good. 

What about all the songs that are fan favourites but never seem to be considered for concerts?
MK certainly has his selection, I would really like to know how he perceives his song, how is it from the inside, from his side. I'm sure that some songs that are landmarks for us Mark has simply "forgotten".

hunter

« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2020, 06:17:35 PM »

Very true. In fact, does mark like any of his work ever? Lol...

Yes he does!

Read that Mark have to say about The Bug, Wild West End, songs like that. The But probably got the worst treatment by Mark so far, I get a feeling he’s not satisfied with this song at all. Sometimes you’re the windshield, sometimes you’re the bug...

At least he played the Bug live a lot which cannot be said for all of his compositions, that must mean he is not so dissatisfied with it as to shelve it for good. 

What about all the songs that are fan favourites but never seem to be considered for concerts?
MK certainly has his selection, I would really like to know how he perceives his song, how is it from the inside, from his side. I'm sure that some songs that are landmarks for us Mark has simply "forgotten".

Has he played The Bug after the OES tour?

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2020, 06:30:52 PM »
Yes it was a personal  highlight from the Golden Heart tour.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

hunter

« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2020, 07:16:30 PM »

Ah! Thank you.

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2020, 11:09:53 PM »

Ah! Thank you.
don't hurry hunter  :lol
three cracked vertebrae mighty man

hunter

« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2020, 01:31:58 AM »

He-he. I know many of you know a lot of the setlists from the various tours by heart. I don't, I'm afraid. (But it doesn't really bother me :) )

Ah! Thank you.
don't hurry hunter  :lol

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2020, 01:48:02 AM »
I know songs are often talked about as the children of the songwriter, but really they are a snapshot of the songwriter himself at a certain point in time. As you grow and age, you often acquire new tastes and inclinations, you mature, and you view your younger self sometimes with a bit of pride, but often with quite a bit of embarrassment. You're just not that person anymore, and I think it's the same with songs.

I think it also depends on what the song means to the songwriter. There are different kinds of song. Some deep, full of meaning, some shallow and mundane. Some literally take 10 minutes to write, some years. Some "borow' from elsewhere, some seem completely melodically original until you realise they're not (gutting moment for a songwriter - especially if you're a Gallagher brother and have yet again managed to unknowingly rewrite all the young dudes for the 15th time!),  and some seem to come from a completely unique place. It's only the writer who explicitly knows these origins, which is perhaps why they may show some distain/dislike for their creations.

The average listener won't hear true love will never fade or TOL and instantly hear Pachebel for example. They won't hear BIA and hear Snowy White, or R&J and think Springsteen Jungle land. They won't necessarily know that their most liked Knopfler song took 5 minutes to write whilst half asleep or that their most hated took 25 years to gestate.

Fascinating discussion....
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 01:55:46 AM by 2manyguitars »

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2020, 10:33:19 AM »
I like every song Mark has ever written, some more than others, but there is something good in every song, I don't skip any song either, why would I? It's Mark Knopfler!!! One of the many great things about Mark is how he has and still does develop as a song writer, he has said many times that he considers himself a song writer, not a guitar player, which I would agree with, in the same way, I think of Eric Clapton as a guitar player, not a song writer. It's no surprise that someone of his age is not into the song writing he did when starting out as a person in their 20's he is a master craftsman now, and has been for some time, he is extremely respected by people and artists in the music industry. I have read interviews with guitar players in metal bands who say how much they love his guitar playing, I have watched classical guitarists play versions of Mark's music. I remember in an interview from about 1992 with Mike Oldfield, he said "I feel, all the music I have made, and all the albums I have made, has not really taught me anything, It's taught me a lot of things to avoid" and I feel Mark could relate to that.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineChrisGlastonbury

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2020, 11:54:15 AM »
It's interesting, whenever I see those questions on Facebook or Twitter which say things like 'name an album you never skip a track on' my immediate reaction is 'who skips tracks?'. Albums are albums, and clearly not all tracks are as good as each other, but skipping tracks has always made me uncomfortable. But it has happened a couple of times.

But, by coincidence, there is a MK-related angle to this.

When I bought Sailing to Philadelphia a few months back I listened a couple of times and generally enjoyed it, but on about the third listen the track 'Do America' was really annoying me. I often look up details about an album online as I'm listening, and stumbled across the track listing which showed only 13 tracks, not including Do America. So I looked a bit closer and found that was only an 'extra' track for the US market. So I, legitimately in my head, deleted it and listened to the rest of the album as originally released.

OfflinePierre

• Camerado
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2020, 11:55:08 AM »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 43 queries.