Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Interview with Bill Schnee (producer, engineer)  (Read 1876 times)

hunter

Interview with Bill Schnee (producer, engineer)
« on: August 27, 2020, 07:52:08 PM »
The user Dan on Guy's forum linked to a YouTube interview with producer veteran Bill Schnee. Some interesting anecdotes. Bill was also "dumped" by Mark for several years, and he explains how he felt hurt by that.

The Mark-related part starts at 2:54:00 to 3:16:55.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 08:15:25 PM by hunter »

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: Interview with Bill Schnee (producer, engineer)
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 08:04:32 PM »
Use the full link, like youtube.com/whatever

hunter

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 08:15:33 PM »
Use the full link, like youtube.com/whatever

Thanks!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 08:38:36 PM »

Thanks hunter, I was hanging on Bill's every word - it was so long and drawn out too, but very enjoyable.   I could just picture them both sipping tea very gentilly - I had to smile!   ;D
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2020, 08:45:33 PM »

Thanks hunter, I was hanging on Bill's every word - it was so long and drawn out too, but very enjoyable.   I could just picture them both sipping tea very gentilly - I had to smile!   ;D

Great interview, yes. I like how everybody who worked with Mark has this sort of grotesque admiration, clearly showing huge respect to the guy, but at the same time always hinting that "he's kinda strange sometimes". Like here, Bill was so upset about Mark's decision of not letting him mix On Every Street record, that he tracked him on tour! Quite insane. What I learn about all these stories, is that with Mark you got to think real fast. Or else he outruns you and leaves you on the side of the road, for which I can't blame him actually.

And I always knew Vince Gill regrets not joining Dire Straits. Another sign of not thinking too fast with Mark. Vince probably thought it would be a bad career move for him, but for all we know, he plays in Eagles now. If I were him, I would prefer Dire Straits :lol

Come on people, if Mark asks you to do something, just do it!

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2020, 07:57:46 AM »
"i have my reasons and they don't need to concern you..." sounds like mark....
great guy though, love these stories.
also, i hate oatmeal.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2020, 09:00:58 AM »

And I always knew Vince Gill regrets not joining Dire Straits. Another sign of not thinking too fast with Mark. Vince probably thought it would be a bad career move for him, but for all we know, he plays in Eagles now. If I were him, I would prefer Dire Straits :lol

I kind of disagree here. Vince Gill did a very clever move, if he had said yes to DS he would had been stuck with them for two years, instead he had that time to raise his career to a high level.

He plays now with the Eagles as a kind of "guest star", he still has his career, releasing records and touring under his name, and the Eagles thing, he's doing it now as someone who has a big and successful career behind him, something he didn't have when Mk asked him to join Dire Straits.

I also think The Eagles suits his music better than DS one. But he would do a terrific job in MK nowadays band, adding more country rock sound to the sometimes too celtic sound MK music of these days...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 09:16:18 AM by jbaent »
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2020, 10:27:52 AM »

I kind of disagree here. Vince Gill did a very clever move, if he had said yes to DS he would had been stuck with them for two years, instead he had that time to raise his career to a high level.

He plays now with the Eagles as a kind of "guest star", he still has his career, releasing records and touring under his name, and the Eagles thing, he's doing it now as someone who has a big and successful career behind him, something he didn't have when Mk asked him to join Dire Straits.

I also think The Eagles suits his music better than DS one. But he would do a terrific job in MK nowadays band, adding more country rock sound to the sometimes too celtic sound MK music of these days...

Makes sense. I would add, that in my world, you can play anywhere and still become great. Like Glen Campbell, who played for The Beach Boys and in countless sessions for other artists, but after all, made it to the top. Not that I would call playing for The Beach Boys and Frank Sinatra low, but in interviews he was always harsh about these times, as if playing for The Beach Boys is like playing for Backstreet Boys :lol

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.03 seconds with 41 queries.