Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Any songs you skip?  (Read 37260 times)

hunter

Re: Any songs you skip?
« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2020, 08:43:56 AM »
 ;D

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2020, 10:32:56 AM »
One World is one of those straight-ahead rockers (apart from the baroque-style bridge) that really is bonus disc material. "Can't get no antidote for - blu-u-u-ues. Oh, yea-ah." Horrible, to be honest.

One World is the most opportunistic track on the album. While the title track offers virtually no signs of the time period, One World just screams "eighties". Time tested it and indeed Mark still plays "Brothers In Arms", and I think One World is the least expected song in his setlist for the last 30 years. But I actually like this duality on the album... You have something from the 80s, in the other hand you have real drums, real sounds, so it's a great mix.

One World is a great example of Mark as a songwriting magpie given that the chords are a straight lift from Dylan's Blind Willie McTell.

I often wonder how Sir Bob felt about that, although he's stolen enough tunes in his time!

These parts are similar:

OW:
... my blue guitar
I can't get no antidote for [blues]

BWM:
... from New Orleans
To Jerusalem.

Hardly theft, I'd say :) It's a very common chord progression, plus, I don't think Dylan would have cared one bit.

I did an online lesson recently with my students about the two songs. You can literally sing one over the other. Mark just changed the tempo and hence syncopation.

It's not that common as a sequence, can you think of another tune with those chords, especially in a minor key?

hunter

« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2020, 10:48:26 AM »
One World is one of those straight-ahead rockers (apart from the baroque-style bridge) that really is bonus disc material. "Can't get no antidote for - blu-u-u-ues. Oh, yea-ah." Horrible, to be honest.

One World is the most opportunistic track on the album. While the title track offers virtually no signs of the time period, One World just screams "eighties". Time tested it and indeed Mark still plays "Brothers In Arms", and I think One World is the least expected song in his setlist for the last 30 years. But I actually like this duality on the album... You have something from the 80s, in the other hand you have real drums, real sounds, so it's a great mix.

One World is a great example of Mark as a songwriting magpie given that the chords are a straight lift from Dylan's Blind Willie McTell.

I often wonder how Sir Bob felt about that, although he's stolen enough tunes in his time!

These parts are similar:

OW:
... my blue guitar
I can't get no antidote for [blues]

BWM:
... from New Orleans
To Jerusalem.

Hardly theft, I'd say :) It's a very common chord progression, plus, I don't think Dylan would have cared one bit.

I did an online lesson recently with my students about the two songs. You can literally sing one over the other. Mark just changed the tempo and hence syncopation.

It's not that common as a sequence, can you think of another tune with those chords, especially in a minor key?

No, I can't think of an example off the top of my head, but a song like House of New Orleans is kind of similar.

Not sure which keys the songs are in, but say Am for the sake of it. BWM goes Am / E7 / Am, etc. (before the part I mentioned earlier), whereas OW goes Am / G / Am, don't they?

At any rate, I don't think there's any case for calling it theft/plagiarism.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 11:00:24 AM by hunter »

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #78 on: August 04, 2020, 11:33:59 AM »
No, I can't think of an example off the top of my head, but a song like House of New Orleans is kind of similar.

Not sure which keys the songs are in, but say Am for the sake of it. BWM goes Am / E7 / Am, etc. (before the part I mentioned earlier), whereas OW goes Am / G / Am, don't they?

Mark has a lot of songs that are basically a tribute to something. King Of The Road inspired Quality Shoe, Wichita Lineman inspired Hard Shoulder, Bob Dylan inspired It Never Rains, there's no such thing as a truly original song, everyone beg, steal and borrow and Mark is an absolute master of that. He borrows the idea so accurately, that nobody will notice it if not with the help of a microscope. And with him saying in every interview that he's Bob Dylan fan from age 11 and reading the lyrics of his songs in his radio show no wonder, that he ended up using some ideas from Bob here and there.

hunter

« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2020, 12:07:47 PM »

Mark has a lot of songs that are basically a tribute to something. King Of The Road inspired Quality Shoe, Wichita Lineman inspired Hard Shoulder, Bob Dylan inspired It Never Rains, there's no such thing as a truly original song, everyone beg, steal and borrow and Mark is an absolute master of that. He borrows the idea so accurately, that nobody will notice it if not with the help of a microscope. And with him saying in every interview that he's Bob Dylan fan from age 11 and reading the lyrics of his songs in his radio show no wonder, that he ended up using some ideas from Bob here and there.

It's a big difference between, on the one side, using the same chord progression or fragments of a melody and, on the other side, using an identical hook (MFN riff, Whatever You Want (Status Quo), Smoke On the Water, etc.) or ripping off a complete song.

Everyone is influenced by someone, but it's in most cases clear when a song is influenced by or hints to another song and with it's pure plagiarism.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #80 on: August 04, 2020, 12:13:16 PM »

But if I am correct they were a bit short of extra stuff for the BIA album  :think
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #81 on: August 04, 2020, 11:26:10 PM »

Thanks quizzaciously.

That was exactly the point I was trying to make. The best songwriters in history will pinch bits and pieces from here there and everywhere. The greatest classical composers directly lifted folk tunes, Dylan took bits from Woody Guthrie and others, music history is littered with examples, anyone who's ever written a 12 bar!! and let's face it, especially in regards to Western music, we are rather limited by our 12 tones.

There are good examples of it with Mark, OW, R&J, to name 2. It's not a bad thing. It's part of the art, and I'm sure a highly intelligent songwriter like MK knew exactly what he was doing....

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #82 on: August 05, 2020, 12:31:29 AM »

Thanks quizzaciously.

That was exactly the point I was trying to make. The best songwriters in history will pinch bits and pieces from here there and everywhere. The greatest classical composers directly lifted folk tunes, Dylan took bits from Woody Guthrie and others, music history is littered with examples, anyone who's ever written a 12 bar!! and let's face it, especially in regards to Western music, we are rather limited by our 12 tones.

There are good examples of it with Mark, OW, R&J, to name 2. It's not a bad thing. It's part of the art, and I'm sure a highly intelligent songwriter like MK knew exactly what he was doing....
;D
Highly intelligent? lol, i never met one.
Gifted? Who knows i never practiced?

Let's put it this way, if Mark played your song perhaps is not your at all.
I'm a six foot three albion but you can adjust the seat

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2020, 06:44:12 PM »
I have just listened 500 times in few days to Heavy Fuel, is that considered a skip ?
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2020, 10:59:10 PM »
I have just listened 500 times in few days to Heavy Fuel, is that considered a skip ?
now that's the way you do it  :thumbsup
I'm a six foot three albion but you can adjust the seat

hunter

« Reply #85 on: August 18, 2020, 01:32:57 AM »

I'd consider that heavy fuel  :o

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #86 on: August 18, 2020, 12:54:03 PM »

I don't skip it.  It's not the best song he's ever written but it's good fun and certainly not as boring as most of his output these days.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #87 on: August 18, 2020, 02:56:43 PM »

I don't skip it.  It's not the best song he's ever written but it's good fun and certainly not as boring as most of his output these days.

Oooh 'Heavy Fuel' - deffo a skipper for me.....not a great fan of 'OES' as an album.....
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

hunter

« Reply #88 on: August 18, 2020, 03:04:14 PM »

Oooh 'Heavy Fuel' - deffo a skipper for me.....not a great fan of 'OES' as an album.....

It holds a special place for me because I was a teenager when it was released. I was already a fan, but it had been years since DS had released anything new, and I remember the excitement. It's got some great tracks, but I listen rarely to it. The ones I return to are the first two albums. It never got better :)

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #89 on: August 19, 2020, 01:07:57 AM »

I'd consider that heavy fuel  :o

I am so screwed that I need it in large dosage
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 49 queries.