Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Guitars used on songs  (Read 5477 times)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
Re: Guitars used on songs
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2018, 03:39:45 PM »
On Every Street? Check Ingo's site, I'm pretty sure it's the Schecter.

thanks for saying to me to ckeck Ingo's site, but it's me who wrote the main stuff in the gear section  ;) ;D

I think it's the schecter for the outro riff, but Ingo told me that the Super 400 was used jsut for the lick at the end of the verse jsute after the line "...one every street..."

Jeroen read on a MK guitar style book that the Fender 61 was used on the song, so the outro riff would be the 61 ? (But I find it sounds more schecter, and at this time I think that Mark used more the schecter than the 61)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2018, 03:41:03 PM »
I wonder if he has two ES-5's? The one pictured in the 2018 diary is the same as the one from the Tracker diary but it's not the same ES-5 as the one used in the 80s, right? The one used in the 80s had a Bigsby bridge and this one has no whammy bar.

it could be the same guitar, and some pieces might have be changed over the years  :think

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2018, 05:16:27 PM »
thanks for saying to me to ckeck Ingo's site, but it's me who wrote the main stuff in the gear section  ;) ;D

I think it's the schecter for the outro riff, but Ingo told me that the Super 400 was used jsut for the lick at the end of the verse jsute after the line "...one every street..."

Jeroen read on a MK guitar style book that the Fender 61 was used on the song, so the outro riff would be the 61 ? (But I find it sounds more schecter, and at this time I think that Mark used more the schecter than the 61)

Super400 ? impossible

MK guitar style book mentions Fender 1960 sn 68354 as "brought out of retirement for the recording of 'on every street'", literally could be the song or the album, but it's the album
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2018, 06:08:59 PM »

Super400 ? impossible

MK guitar style book mentions Fender 1960 sn 68354 as "brought out of retirement for the recording of 'on every street'", literally could be the song or the album, but it's the album
I'm pretty certain he used the Schecter for the title track. It sounds just like it. Besides, by then, Mark had stopped using his red Fenders for the most part.

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2018, 07:00:41 PM »

Super400 ? impossible

I'm pretty certain he used the Schecter for the title track. It sounds just like it. Besides, by then, Mark had stopped using his red Fenders for the most part.

Yes, Schecter On Every Street, Fender My Parties
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2018, 09:11:41 AM »
Super400 ? impossible

there are at least 3 guitars on the song

- lead and outro riff (starts at 00:32) --> schecter
- outro riff (starts at 2:52) --> schecter

and that lick at the end of each verse, with tremolo, and likely played with a pick
I don't know if this guitar is the super 400 or not, and I don't know where Ingo got this info, but I don't see why it would be "impossible"

http://www.mk-guitar.com/gear-on-all-songs-for-all-albums-wiki/gear-on-album-on-every-street/

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2018, 01:26:58 PM »
Super400 ? impossible

and that lick at the end of each verse, with tremolo, and likely played with a pick
I don't know if this guitar is the super 400 or not, and I don't know where Ingo got this info, but I don't see why it would be "impossible"

http://www.mk-guitar.com/gear-on-all-songs-for-all-albums-wiki/gear-on-album-on-every-street/

Because ingo is good but not perfect

from the link you provided he can't even recognize if it's a fender or the schecter on both On Every Street and My Parties,
while it's clearly the schecter on on every street and clearly the fender on My Parties
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 01:30:42 PM by PensaGhost »

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2018, 04:25:22 PM »

from the link you provided he can't even recognize if it's a fender or the schecter on both On Every Street and My Parties,
while it's clearly the schecter on on every street and clearly the fender on My Parties

it's not him who wrote these page, but me (like all other "gear on all songs" pages on his site)
I admit that I can't recognize clearly that it's the Fender on My Parties, but if you say so

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2018, 06:20:55 PM »

it's not him who wrote these page, but me (like all other "gear on all songs" pages on his site)
I admit that I can't recognize clearly that it's the Fender on My Parties, but if you say so
I didn't know you had written those pages, JF, amazing job by the way. The only way we know for sure what guitar was used on My Parties is ask either Guy or Mark himself.
Regarding On Every Street, I'm with PensaGhost as it seems pretty certain he used the Schecter and this is more evident by the fact that he used that guitar to play it live.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2018, 06:26:15 PM »

I didn't know you had written those pages, JF, amazing job by the way. The only way we know for sure what guitar was used on My Parties is ask either Guy or Mark himself.
Regarding On Every Street, I'm with PensaGhost as it seems pretty certain he used the Schecter and this is more evident by the fact that he used that guitar to play it live.

Was Ron Eve still His guitar tech then?

sent from my Samsung galaxy 7edge via tapatalk

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2018, 07:01:57 PM »

asking Guy or even Mark does not always give you a 100% right answer

I remember for the KTGC album, Guy provided some infos on his site, and Chuck provided infos on Mk news, and there were subtle differences. Who was right ?
another example, Chuck forgot to mention Mark's guitar on sucker row, that's why I firstly tought it was Richard who played the solo, but it was a Chick ommition
and last but not least, I have an interview where Mark says that Trawlerman song is the 54 strat, and we all know it's the 58 LP. (strange though , he played that song live on the 54 in 2004, so maybe he tried different guitars, on different takes in studio ?)

so, even people who contribute themselves to the recordings can be wrong, and don't blame them, it's impossible to remember exactly what gear they used on all of these recordings

so appart from ou ears and some speculation, it's sometimes hard to be 100% sure

as for the song OES, maybe I was misunderstood, but of course I also think that it's the schecter on most of the song (lead licsk and outro riff), but the lick at the end of each verse (with tremolo, and played with a pick) is a different guitar track (I have listened all albums on headphones to write these pages), so maybe it's the same guitar (the schecter) but maybe not, that's all

And imho, we will never know for sure, even asking Mark or Guy  :)

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2018, 07:13:43 PM »
Super400 ? impossible

I know the licks you’re talking about and you seem to be right, that’s clearly a different guitar. I don’t know if it’s the 400 but certainly not the Schecter. For all the other guitar tracks that’s the Red Schecter, no doubt about it.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2018, 11:10:26 PM »
Was Ron Eve still His guitar tech then?

Yes Ron Eve was his guitar tech until end of OES tour

OfflineStiglar

• Local Hero
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2018, 04:00:36 AM »
I always thought the lick after "on every street" was a telecaster kinda sounds like it to me, But wouldn't surprise me too much if it was the Gibson Super 400, he was using it a lot at the time and sounds like a middle position type sounds.

OfflineIngo

• Camerado
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2018, 08:49:07 AM »
>>I don't know if this guitar is the super 400 or not, and I don't know where Ingo got this info, but I don't see why it would be "impossible"

This is from some interview from that time, where Mark told it. He referred to these particular notes [after 'on every street'] as the Duane Eddy sound ... I think  he said he played it with a pick on the Super 400  through the '61 Vibrolux with the tremolo of the amp turned on

>>Because ingo is good but not perfect
Thank you very much :)
Actually those gear pages were a mix of all the info found somewhere - which too often turn out as incorrect - and sometimes it was just a good guess based on how it sounds, which guitar he favoured at the time for similar jobs etc. I think we indicated where we had info and what was guessing.

>>I didn't know you had written those pages, JF,
We did it together but it was indeed JF who brought in most of the work ... he is incredible in compiling great lists with info also ... I cannot thank him enough for his contribution :thumbsup  :wave

I am actually not sure if the Strat riff was the Schecter or the '61 Strat - in other words does 'was used on OES' mean the song or the album... it sounds more like the Schecter to me but with some EQ you can hardly judge this on a recording (I was often soo wrong with guessing in the past  ...)

Live it was the Schecter, but when it was the Fender on the album Mark would probably nevertheless have used the Schecter on a tour at that time.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 12:24:12 PM by Ingo »
my Mark Knopfler guitar style website:
http://www.mk-guitar.com/

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 38 queries.