Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Change in personnel for On every Street  (Read 7149 times)

Offlineboriszhukov

• Camerado
  • We need the headband back!!
Change in personnel for On every Street
« on: March 21, 2018, 09:43:00 PM »
Any stories to why Terry and Jack were not a part of OES and the tour?  I seem to remeber they have both given interviews through the years, but did they ever mention anything about this?

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
Re: Change in personnel for On every Street
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 10:08:36 PM »
I did read that Terry wanted more money though I'm not sure if that story is true.

Offlineboriszhukov

• Camerado
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 08:42:42 AM »
Would have been very interesting with Terry on Drums on OES tour though. I think Calling Elvis and other tunes would have been better with him on drums. Jack for sure would have made the stage show seems more energetic than the bland Phil Palmer.

Love Expresso

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 09:24:30 AM »
I guess Chris Whitten is probably the most unpopular drummer among DS/MK fans but I always thought he was perfect live. I attended two of the early 1991 Sept/Oct shows and was absolutely blown away by his fast crispy sound. Also he got a good chemistry with Danny's percussion. Sultans from the Stadium leg 1992 with the extra Kit was phantastic.

Agree about Phil Palmer but I think that Jack's stage show was maybe TOO much for Mark and that this was the reason to skip him. Perfect for the 80's though.

LE

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 10:50:38 AM »
Liz Whatley said in one of the dsis newsletters that Jack Sonni was busy growing up their twins and that he was no longer part of the band, that's the official reason...

Terry Williams, I don't know if there is any official reason. The own Terry said to a fan, who is a friend of him, that he found out that DS was doing a new record and tour and that there was no plans to call him...

Joop de Korte said to me that MK wanted OES record and tour the most proffesional as possible, so he decided to hire session players to everything, that's why Phil Palmer was called to play guitar and Jeff Porcaro and Manu Katche to play drums in the record. They both said no to tour with DS so MK called the next session player available, that happened to be Chris Whitten. Also by the same reason, Joop de Korte was said not to play percussion with the band, a job that he was doing since 1980 as they will calling Danny Cummings, another session player, to fill in the percussion shoes, and remain just as technician.

In my opinion, his playing didn't fit the classic sound of Dire Straits live. But that was what MK wanted for that record and tour, and if you think about it, it's what he did in his solo career, call session players to his records and band touring members.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 10:58:05 AM »
Would have been very interesting with Terry on Drums on OES tour though. I think Calling Elvis and other tunes would have been better with him on drums. Jack for sure would have made the stage show seems more energetic than the bland Phil Palmer.

Terry drums didn't fit at all with the grooves of songs like, let's say, Calling Elvis. Most of the OES songs were written (songs are king) to have very technical drumming on it. Terry Williams always said that he doesn't even knows to read music, he always played drums by heart, and his drumming was perfectly ok for rock and roll straight style, OES record and tour wasn't straight rock at all.

I think in this interview Terry Williams talks abou it. It's a long interview and I never heard it in full...

https://soundcloud.com/simon-vine-podcaster/terry-williams-interview-march

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 12:17:28 PM »
I remember listening to that interview from some time ago.  Very interesting indeed and Terry come across as a really nice person.  Highly recommended.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 12:20:55 PM »
I remember listening to that interview from some time ago.  Very interesting indeed and Terry come across as a really nice person.  Highly recommended.

Do you recall what Terry said about OES album and tour?

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 12:45:57 PM »

Do you recall what Terry said about OES album and tour?

I was hoping no one would ask that!  About all I can remember was that he said he couldn't read music so bands used to play him the song and he could do the drum track first time leading to his nickname "one take Tel."  Always remember that and that he seemed a really nice guy.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineboriszhukov

• Camerado
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 01:39:04 PM »
I agree Chris Whitton and Phil Palmer were much better musicians technically. But Jacks stage show brought something to DS and I think both him and Terry had much more personality in their playing though.

But ofcourse MK seems always to seek to play with the best possible musicans and I guess Terry was already was in trouble in that regard during the recording of the BIA album.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 01:50:51 PM »
I agree Chris Whitton and Phil Palmer were much better musicians technically. But Jacks stage show brought something to DS and I think both him and Terry had much more personality in their playing though.

But ofcourse MK seems always to seek to play with the best possible musicans and I guess Terry was already was in trouble in that regard during the recording of the BIA album.

To me, Jack and Terry did a great job during a tour that was a great rock show.

OES tour was technically very well played by all the musicians, but to me, it lacks of that magic, it's too cold, with no soul, not a rock show anymore but a great tecnical performance.

Also, to me, the OES is the tour in which MK Played guitar at his best.

Offlineboriszhukov

• Camerado
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2018, 01:55:43 PM »
OES would certainly seem different both musically and performance wise with them in the band. I tend to agree the tour would have been much more exciting with their stage presence.

OfflineDon70

• Banned
  • Guitar George
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2018, 04:10:25 PM »

To me, Jack and Terry did a great job during a tour that was a great rock show.

OES tour was technically very well played by all the musicians, but to me, it lacks of that magic, it's too cold, with no soul, not a rock show anymore but a great tecnical performance.

Also, to me, the OES is the tour in which MK Played guitar at his best.

My sentiments, exactly.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2018, 04:37:04 PM »
Mark was on fire during the OES tour, that was scary! Technically superb yet subtle and sensitive.

Regarding Chris Whitten he's too square to my taste, at least playing DS songs. I don't know if Terry would suit that tour but I'd like to have seen that. Phil Palmer, on the other hand, is a master guitarist. Jack is great but nothing compared to Phil. I don't think it was about his energetic performance on stage (being polite here) as he was older and wouldn't mind to hold back his stamina if Mark asked nicely (polite again). I guess Mark just wanted a better guitar player. In the end, at least in my opinion, drums didn't work but guitar did.

All that being said, that band felt like an orchestra only that in orchestras some musicians only play when it's strictly necessary. I'm saying that because I think both Chris White and Paul Franklin were overused. There were songs that would've sounded better without Chris (Sultans, Private Investigations and Solid Rock) and others without Paul or with less Paul (Brothers in Arms, On Every Street, Walk of Life, The Bug...). 

Did I just say less Paul?  :lol
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 04:39:16 PM by Eddie Fox »
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlineboriszhukov

• Camerado
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2018, 06:04:21 PM »
found some quotes from Phil about OES :

li: In 1991 you joined Dire Straits, playing on the album ‘On Every Street’. How did the transition from Eric Clapton’s band to Dire Straits come about?

Phil: I was replacing a guy called Jack Sonny, and I don’t really know why he wasn’t asked to do that tour, but I’m glad he wasn’t. The transition between the two was that I was still working for Eric Clapton and we did the Knebworth concert in 1990 with Dire Straits as well and I think that’s the first time I met Mark (Knophler). There’d always been a connection between the Dire Straits management because Paul Brady was also managed by the same people. So Eric had another disaster in his life when his son died in a terrible accident in New York. I remember being at the funeral for Connor [Eric’s son] at Eric’s house and Eric’s manager Roger Forrester said to us “We’re not sure what Eric’s gonna be doing in the future because of this obviously, and so if any of you guys get offered anything interesting you should probably take it because I can’t guarantee Eric will work again for at least another year or two”. Then not long after that, the Dire Straits thing popped up. I think the first time I did anything with them was when I arrived in London to do the tracks on ‘On Every Street’. I got to know Mark and got to know how interesting he was. I think they were already planning the strategy for the promotion of that album; because it was called ‘On Every Street’ and the idea was to tour with it and do as many concerts in as many places on every street on the planet. And that’s what happened, they scheduled a tour that was a year and a half with three months rehearsal and I signed up to do that tour. And then the weird thing was the day that I started rehearsals, which was going to be a long period of rehearsals, Eric called me up and said he wasn’t going to sit around moping for the rest of his life and that he was going to go on tour and could I do it? And I had just signed the contract with Dire Straits so I was bandjaxed really and I had to do Dire Straits now. The first thing Eric did after that was the unplugged CD, which became a massive seller.

Oli: Do you think if you’d had the option at that point of doing Eric’s tour rather than the Dire Straits tour would you have taken it? Or were you happy with how things happened?

Phil: In Retrospect, no I’m happy with the way things panned out. In retrospect, artistically Eric Clapton was always going to be a nicer gig.

Oli: Well as you rightly say Eric Clapton’s Unplugged album was a big seller. The live album from the Dire Straits tour ‘On The Night’ stayed in the top 40 for seven weeks upon release and was a very big seller in its own right. The tour lasted a year and a half, did you have any reservations about undertaking a tour of that magnitude?

Phil: Not really, touring for that length of time is really quite interesting because you go through various stages; the initial euphoria of playing massive gigs with a massively successful band and going to some very interesting and wonderful places. Then you go into the doldrums and realise you’ve got another fifteen months to go. I mean it’s great, it’s always great but it’s quite easy to allow yourself to get lazy because you play the same songs every night and you have to find something to inspire yourself. What I did on the tour was I decided that some kind of sporting activity might be a good idea and so I started learning how to play tennis. Whatever town we were in I would go and get some coaching and go to the big local tennis clubs and give them tickets to the gig and they would give me coaching lessons in return. And that was a great thing to do in retrospect because it kept me fit, it stopped me staying up all night for whatever reason. So I’d get up in the morning in Barcelona or wherever we had to be and I would go and play tennis, and that really helped me through the tour, kept me fit, kept me healthy and it kept me bright as well.

and a quite funny story:

Oli: Would you be willing to share any stories that might have made it into the SPINAL TAP finished script had the writers had access to your stories?

Phil: There is the sausages story of Dire Straits. Basically we’d been in America for a while, at least 6 weeks or something and everyone was really really tired of the food and wanted something a bit more interesting. So we were doing a gig in Canada and the caterers found a Marks & Spencer there and they bought all the pork sausages that they could find to feed the crew and we’d heard about this before we even got to the gig. We were saying “they’ve found pork sausages and we’re having sausages, mash, baked beans and fried onions for dinner tonight”, and everyone was incredibly excited about that. So we got to the gig and did the sound check and then we went to have dinner and it was fantastic. We had English mustard and onion gravy and everything was just perfect. But Mark and I think John [Illsley] decided, which was quite normal for them, that they were gonna save theirs and have it afterwards. So two plates were put aside for Mark and John both with three or four sausages and they would just microwave it after. But, when they came off stage there was only 2 sausages on Mark’s plate… and he was extremely upset. So he had all the crew marched in one by one and questioned them. I have a vivid picture in my mind of him: he still had his headband on and he was soaking wet in the dressing room, pissed off, and he said to each crew member one by one “Have you eaten my sausages? Because if I find out who it is they’re on the next plane home”, and of course nobody owned up to it and the evening went by and it was forgotten about. But the next gig which was a couple days later we arrived at the gig and Mark was still pretty angry about the sausages but the crew decided they would try and make a joke out of it. So they printed out a new set list with all new songs on it and it said things like ‘Romeo and Sausages’, ‘Money for Sausages’, ‘Sultans of sausages’ etc. And I remember Mark looking down at it and he was still pretty angry and he tore it to shreds and that’s the end of the story but I do know now 20 years later who it was that ate the sausages…

Oli: Do you think if Mark found out now he’d still try and get his revenge somehow?

Phil: Well it was a guy called Pete, one of the minders, I think he still works for him sometimes…

whole interview is here
https://olipalmer1.wordpress.com/2013/06/13/interview-with-phil-palmer-180213/

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.033 seconds with 38 queries.