Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Dylan Smith - Sultans of Swing  (Read 9298 times)

OfflineReuben Reynolds

• Guitar George
Dylan Smith - Sultans of Swing
« on: March 24, 2018, 11:36:53 PM »
Check out this recording of Dylan covering Sultans of Swing, love the sound that he has been able to create.

What do you guys think?

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: Dylan Smith - Sultans of Swing
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 11:48:55 PM »
Never heard that tune before... From which album it comes from?

Love Expresso

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 01:05:37 PM »
When I saw the clip last night you have been my first thought, foma.  :lol

LE

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 03:42:50 PM »
A nice version of that John Foggerty song...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 03:54:02 PM »
When I saw the clip last night you have been my first thought, foma.  :lol

LE

Made my day :lol :lol :lol

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 12:38:30 AM »
I fail to understand people who record versions of original songs trying to replicate every bit of them. What’s the point? At least try something different...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 12:46:35 AM by Eddie Fox »
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 10:24:52 AM »
I fail to understand people who record versions of original songs trying to replicate every bit of them. What’s the point? At least try something different...

I guess they'd say it's because the original version is so superb you should learn it first, because to break the rules you need to know the rules in the first place. But I must admit that blind copy/paste of Mark's lines, solos and stuff is tasteless as it can be, especially on a Strat. When Mark sometimes sounds like a parody on himself, people who replicate his sound is even worse.

When I pick up a Strat I almost feel ashamed to use the second bridge+middle position because it instantly creates this MK sound. In fact, I deliberately avoid this position when I play Strat so not to sound like MK, yes it's that complicated.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 02:14:22 PM »

I guess they'd say it's because the original version is so superb you should learn it first, because to break the rules you need to know the rules in the first place. But I must admit that blind copy/paste of Mark's lines, solos and stuff is tasteless as it can be, especially on a Strat. When Mark sometimes sounds like a parody on himself, people who replicate his sound is even worse.

When I pick up a Strat I almost feel ashamed to use the second bridge+middle position because it instantly creates this MK sound. In fact, I deliberately avoid this position when I play Strat so not to sound like MK, yes it's that complicated.

Your work is completely different from this guy's. I see what you do as tutorials and it's amazingly well done. This dude simply recorded Sultans trying to emulate every single piece of it. I mean, it's a nice to have, but artistically speaking it's just meh.

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 03:46:20 PM »
If you want to improvise on Mozart you should at least be Beethoven
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 05:50:55 PM »

No need to impro. We are talking about different things.

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 06:18:26 PM »

that is ?
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 07:18:11 PM »

that is ?

Well, you're talking about improvisation which means, for example, coming up with different licks to Sultans of Swing as you play it. That's what Mark does every show. I'm talking about what The Killers did with R&J, giving their own interpretation to the song, same as Clapton did with I Shot the Sheriff and After Midnight.

What this guy did isn't any of those. Here's an explanation I googled up.

- A cover usually refers to a reinterpretation. This might take the form of creating an acoustic version, a different arrangement, or even just taking the lyrics and coming up with an entirely new melody. E.g.: Eric Clapton - I Shot the Sheriff

- A remake is an attempt at reproduction, playing the song the same way it was originally played. The remakers might put their own twist on it or they might get very technical and try to be exacting, but ultimately it's the same style as the original. E.g.: Dylan Smith - Sultans of Swing

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 07:48:53 PM »

that is ?

Well, you're talking about improvisation which means, for example, coming up with different licks to Sultans of Swing as you play it. That's what Mark does every show. I'm talking about what The Killers did with R&J, giving their own interpretation to the song, same as Clapton did with I Shot the Sheriff and After Midnight.

What this guy did isn't any of those. Here's an explanation I googled up.

- A cover usually refers to a reinterpretation. This might take the form of creating an acoustic version, a different arrangement, or even just taking the lyrics and coming up with an entirely new melody. E.g.: Eric Clapton - I Shot the Sheriff

- A remake is an attempt at reproduction, playing the song the same way it was originally played. The remakers might put their own twist on it or they might get very technical and try to be exacting, but ultimately it's the same style as the original. E.g.: Dylan Smith - Sultans of Swing

fair enough

by 'improvise' I meant what you call 'reinterpretation'

but you need to be at least at the same level of the original artist to try that and you also need to be very brave because
even if you are at the same level a reinterpretation will sound crap 99% of the times

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2018, 08:24:13 PM »
That depends. Joan Baez recorded a beautiful version of Brothers in Arms without guitar solos. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Of course if you are a lame musician it will never work but you might be a very skilled musician and still ruin a song by overplaying, for example.

This is exactly when Mark's song is king motto comes in handy.

Offlineprimi

• Camerado
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2018, 08:26:41 PM »

It's whatever cooks your noodle isn't it. If it inspires you to play the guitar than that's great. Who knows what that can lead to.

Perhaps you should look at it as something similar to a famous pianist playing piano concerto numero whatever written by a famous writer Somebody. I'm not into music and performances like that so don't take it for granted but I believe the notes are there, they can't really change anything can they? So they have to play the right notes but they can play them in a certain unique way. At least I think that's how it works. If that comparison makes sense?

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 40 queries.