Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: best versions OES tour  (Read 4845 times)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
best versions OES tour
« on: April 04, 2018, 10:11:29 PM »
I am currently trying to make a best-of of all songs played during the OES tour
as I am too lazy to listen to many gigs, which versions would you choose for the songs that are not on OTN ? (considering sound quality first and then performance)

I have no doubt that there are surely many good versions for all songs, but the OES tour is my less favorite one, so only one version for each song is enough for me, and I don't want to search other versions than the ones avalaible on OTN, so my request is only for songs that are not on OTN

I know that best sounding gigs are On ervery planet and Wobburn Abbey, so I chose Sultans, TR and 2 young lovers from On every planet
I took jammin and oe oe from the last concert

Jeroen says that Fade to black from Hamburg 15-08-92 is one of the best sounding ones, but also Nimes 21-05-92. Which one would be the best ?

and for the following :
- when it comes to you
- tunnel of love : rather 91 or 92 ?
- PONO : rather 91 or 92 ?
- I think I love you too much : the one from early gigs ? or later in 92 ?
- why worry, setting me up, long highway, Portobello Belle : which gig is the better from the several ones in a row in Dublin ?
- iron hand ?
- SFA : only one gig ?

are there other songs I forgot ?
many thanks in advance  :wave
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 10:14:34 PM by JF »

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
Re: best versions OES tour
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 10:39:46 PM »
So Far Away - Birmingham 91  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Tunnel of Love - Seattle and Los Angeles 1992 versions!
When It Comes to You - Dallas 92 maybe?
Planet of New Orleans - Munich 91
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 11:01:01 PM by rmarques821 »

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 11:04:12 PM »
ToL - Los Angeles 08.02.92, Birmingham 06.09.91 (the power of simplicity).
WICTY - Werchter 27.05.92
PoNO - Brussels 02.10.91 (certainly best performance although not sound), Los Angeles 07.02.92, many others... ;D
ITILYTM - Worcester 07.03.92
Iron Hand, Long Highway - Timothy White Sessions
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 12:09:56 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 12:46:46 PM »
I am currently trying to make a best-of of all songs played during the OES tour
as I am too lazy to listen to many gigs, which versions would you choose for the songs that are not on OTN ? (considering sound quality first and then performance)

I have no doubt that there are surely many good versions for all songs, but the OES tour is my less favorite one, so only one version for each song is enough for me, and I don't want to search other versions than the ones avalaible on OTN, so my request is only for songs that are not on OTN

I know that best sounding gigs are On ervery planet and Wobburn Abbey, so I chose Sultans, TR and 2 young lovers from On every planet
I took jammin and oe oe from the last concert

Jeroen says that Fade to black from Hamburg 15-08-92 is one of the best sounding ones, but also Nimes 21-05-92. Which one would be the best ?

and for the following :
- when it comes to you
- tunnel of love : rather 91 or 92 ?
- PONO : rather 91 or 92 ?
- I think I love you too much : the one from early gigs ? or later in 92 ?
- why worry, setting me up, long highway, Portobello Belle : which gig is the better from the several ones in a row in Dublin ?
- iron hand ?
- SFA : only one gig ?

are there other songs I forgot ?
many thanks in advance  :wave
The bug, glasgow

sent from my Samsung galaxy 7edge via tapatalk

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlineruipedro

• Local Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 07:19:20 PM »
Tunnel of love, Seattle and L.A.

OnlineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 07:39:34 PM »
Currently: Portobello Belle 23rd August 1991 The Point Depot, Dublin, Ireland
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 11:21:04 PM »
There is a great Portobello in Grenoble.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OnlineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 11:51:51 PM »
It's true. Very rarely performed Portobello Belle. Apart from the Dublin 1991 concerts. In Dublin, the audience reacts phenomenally when Mark sings to  "Irish Girl" I fell in love with this version again

:)

ps. and this saxophone :)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 11:55:17 PM by Robson »
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlineboriszhukov

• Camerado
  • We need the headband back!!
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 05:51:34 PM »
When it comes to you surely is the Hamburg version

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 09:09:54 PM »
JF, are you keeping track? you should keep your first post updated. with the versions proposed by everyone
then we can make a best of....?
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineBrunno Nunes- (Universo Dire Straits)

• Camerado
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 04:57:46 AM »
better versions of the OES tour for me, (That I remember now)  :think

Sultans of swing- 1992-09-08-Milano (Final solo performance, (beginning to end) is really something out of the ordinary in this version here)
Telegraph road 1992-07-30 -on-every-planet
Tunnel of Love- 1991-10-14-zuerich
Planet of New Orleans- Maryland 1992-24.02.92 (There are many good versions of this song but, Maryland has always impacted me the most, the ultimate solo performance is suerral, extraterrestrial)
I think I love you too much- Albany 1992
Iron Hand- (live, Timothy White sessions) or Maryland 1992-24.02.92
Fade to Black- Fourth night in Birmingham 1991 (This version has a unique saxaphone solo by Chris White which sounds really great.) 1992-07-15-Hamburg-First_Night is also very good, great quality.
Setting me up- Dublin 91 (Strait to the point) 26.08.91
Long Highway- The On every Street kickoff-23.08.91
Portobello Belle The On every Street kickoff-23.08.91
Why Worry The Every Street Kickoff-23.08.91
  When it comes to you- Live in Belgium 1992- 27.05.92

:wave
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 05:05:44 AM by Brunno Nunes- (Universo Dire Straits) »
Visit my Blog- Universo dire Straits (Since 2007) http://universodirestraits.blogspot.com.br/

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 09:03:34 AM »
JF, are you keeping track? you should keep your first post updated. with the versions proposed by everyone
then we can make a best of....?

well it seems I won't have full time to listen to all those versions, and my player is almost full, so no more space for now.... :smack
thus I just chose Sultans, TR and TYL from Woburn Abbey (On every planet is too much dry for me) to add to my OTN playlist
later when I got the time I wil try to make a OES comp

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2018, 08:33:21 PM »
My aim was to do playlists with "all" songs fo each album, because I am tired to have all songs "dispersed" on albums, maxis, singles, comps, hard drives, etc...
When I listen to an album, I want to hear "all songs from that era", I mean all songs from the sessions

for studios albums, that was quite easy :
I put B sides just after the last songs, and some demos when avalaible. same for extended versions.
For example, I put the WDYTYG demo from MFN comp at the end of Communique album, just after follow me home, or I put early demos and sultans single with Eastbound train on my first album playlist. It's like I had a deluxe version of the first album :P
Same for the making movies song or the solid rock demo, in the MM album playlist
I put the WII and STP extended versions in the STP album playlist in place of "normal" versions; therefore, when I listen to STP album, I have all full music recorded at the time avalaible
etc...
ok easy for studio albums

but for live albums....

For Alchemy, I added industrial disease, Expresso love, and twisting by the pool from the 23/07/83 bootleg. I found it logic as the official album is made from one gig (except the drum brek at the end of slid rock).
Then I added Portobello Belle found on YT which is the mix between the MFN comp version and the audience version (that comes from 20/06/83, thanks to Brunno), as I thought that if it had been released in 84, Mark would have likely chose this version as he chose it in 88.
And I added it never rains from sheffield (the best sounding version) because it was the only song played on the LOG tour not featuring in the alchemy concert.
So, it makes a consistent setlist reaagrding the tour and I have all songs, either officially released ones or ones from the same evening, or the only other one from he tour.

For Real Live Roadrunning, the same :
I merged songs from the DVD and from he CD (so with all that matters, even if it was not played at the LA gig), I added Michelaneglo from the LA gig (audience boot), and then I added donkeytown (best sounding version I found) because it was the only other song from the tour not played at the gig. Thus I have a consistent setlist which is a good report from the tour imho.

But for OTN, too difficult to do the same :
1) the official album merges several venues and we don't know which ones on which songs for sure. So, even if we had songs from all gigs used, difficult to chose which song to put on the setlist
2) there are too many "bonus" songs from the tour, and when I started to merge them in my playlist it made an unconsistent setlist, and it was not necessarily fun to listen to all of them in a row (which is the aim of course : having fun to listen to the playlist... ::))

so I decided to keep it simple :
I merged songs from the album and from the Encores Maxi single (making the DVD's setlist) and added Sultans, TR and TYL from wobburn abbey (the best sounding imho, because On every planet lacks of reverb and audience sound, imho).
Thus, I have a consistent playslit, with a complete setlist representative of what was played at that time  (around april-may-june 92) and fullier as the official album.

For Live at the BBC, we don't know exactly whic gig it was (except it was in july 78 ?) and too uch "bonus" songs in 78, so I let it like that

For the SOS comp bonus disc, I used the Swinging golden hearts bootleg as it is the same gig

Besides that, I will buy another SD card and put bootlegs on it. (well may I will have to buy more than one card... ;D)
But generally I just pick some songs, and rarely listen to a whole gig, so maybe a live best-of comp for each tour would be the best option for me, but it's so hard to choose among all these versions

Offlinexardas

• Local Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2018, 10:22:24 PM »
Can someone please send me mp3 of So far away from Birmingham 91?
I didnt know that this song was played on that tour.
Thanks in advance

Offlinenando_5994

• Local Hero

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 38 queries.