Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Postcards from Paraguay - My humble version  (Read 7983 times)

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
Re: Postcards from Paraguay - My humble version
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2018, 01:14:10 PM »

Not sure what you mean with 'J Suhr made the old ones and he's making the new ones' , first of all he didn't make all the PensaSuhr which were made in the past. Then he created his own brand 'Suhr' which is not PensaSuhr obviously.
I mean that he was making these guitars for Rudy and he's making these as Suhr. They should be pretty much the same except now he's mostly using 2 piece tops for the "affordable ones" and perhaps there's a difference in binding. So he should be qualified to judge them all (except new Pensas) in terms of quality and I have no doubt that the ones he's making now are all around better guitars and consistently at the same quality. (the original spec versions of course, not later developments Pensa is making)

What they sound like and if it's better or worse is probably more a personal thing though. It was my dream guitar and it looks great with the floyd even though I have zero need for that and is probably impractical. However I would likely go for a different finish these days.

What was the last public appearance of the original guitar? Was it some "pensa days" exhibition or something?

I know Suhr is disappointed and who wouldn't be. I think he said something about Mark not liking the neck anymore and that he'd make him a killer replacement. But Mark and Rudy are buddies and John was just some employee so when Pensa and Suhr parted naturally Mark stayed with Pensa.

well, he is obviously qualified to judge them but when he says his new Suhr brand is better than the old PensaSuhr he obviously just pumps his own brand
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offlinetrullols

• Local Hero
  • Fender Stratocaster 61'
    • Covers & versions
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2018, 01:16:28 PM »
Do you use a compressor pedal? I like what you did there but the guitar sounds a bit too compressed to my taste. Good effort!
Hi! Thanks a lot for your comment. Yes, I used the effect "compressor" inside the Eleven Rack (this is my effects & recording device). Maybe a bit more than neccessary :D

Offlinetrullols

• Local Hero
    • Covers & versions
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2018, 01:27:50 PM »
The thing is that, I'm left handed. Some years ago, I called Rudy Pensa and ask him for the price of a Pensa-Suhr MK-I for left-handed. He said to me "5.500 $ + 20% because left handed".
That's why I decided to investigate and try to build my own "PS". Even, the original one have a 2-pieces flamed maple top, but in mine, the top is one single piece, and one single piece as well for body (honduras mahogany). If you use Honduras Mahogany, maple top (high quality), EMG SA-SA-85 pickups, original locked floyd-rose bridge and all the rest of pieces, for me is obvious that you are close to the original sound, as I think.
Anyway, I know this is neither a P-S guitar nor a Suhr guitar (both are producing this guitars today, If I'm not wrong), but it's a great, great instrument. And really beautiful as you can see :D
 :wave

Offlinetrullols

• Local Hero
    • Covers & versions
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2018, 01:33:42 PM »
Pavel, I've learned from you all these licks/main guitars I use In my versions :D
I'll never reach your feeling & talent, but I try, as you see ... this is the most important thing :D
Anyway... thanks 1000 times again for your work about Knopfler's style!
César.

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2018, 01:39:12 PM »
Do you use a compressor pedal? I like what you did there but the guitar sounds a bit too compressed to my taste. Good effort!
Hi! Thanks a lot for your comment. Yes, I used the effect "compressor" inside the Eleven Rack (this is my effects & recording device). Maybe a bit more than neccessary :D

For his current price (about 300-350 euros) probably the best machine out there right now
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offlineprimi

• Camerado
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2018, 01:53:08 PM »
The thing is that, I'm left handed. Some years ago, I called Rudy Pensa and ask him for the price of a Pensa-Suhr MK-I for left-handed. He said to me "5.500 $ + 20% because left handed".
That's why I decided to investigate and try to build my own "PS". Even, the original one have a 2-pieces flamed maple top, but in mine, the top is one single piece, and one single piece as well for body (honduras mahogany). If you use Honduras Mahogany, maple top (high quality), EMG SA-SA-85 pickups, original locked floyd-rose bridge and all the rest of pieces, for me is obvious that you are close to the original sound, as I think.
Anyway, I know this is neither a P-S guitar nor a Suhr guitar (both are producing this guitars today, If I'm not wrong), but it's a great, great instrument. And really beautiful as you can see :D

And on top of 5.500 +20% you should probably also add spanish VAT and customs. They are really expensive. I have no idea who's actually making them now and I doubt they are still made in Rudy's shop unless they're outsourcing parts and then just bolting them together. No way they're painting anything themselves. If I was to bet on which modern version is better a Suhr or a Pensa I'd definitely go with a Suhr as a safer bet. Their guitars and factory are second to none.

But it's a bolt on guitar, not an acoustic. If you go with the same specs and a good luthier that puts it all together does the setup etc your guitar should be pretty much as good as the real deal except no resale value and no prestige. Not that you'll ever want to sell it anyway! Going into variations between different samples of the same wood and such intricacies, perhaps that makes a difference but even without that your'e 99% there.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2018, 02:13:23 PM »

Maybe not! It's just my moody personal taste combined with a bit of nitpicking lol You did a fine job, good on ya. And there's no way Mark will ever pronounce Paraguay with so much charm like you did there :)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 02:20:41 PM by Eddie Fox »
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2018, 02:19:54 PM »
The cheapest (?) MK model from Rudy's website doesn't cost less than 7K. Gorgeous piece of art, probably sounds like an angel, but there's no way in hell I'll ever pay that much money for a guitar. Maybe for one of the original ones if in perfect condition but never for a new one, let alone online.

Offlinetrullols

• Local Hero
    • Covers & versions
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2018, 06:04:54 PM »
Maybe not! It's just my moody personal taste combined with a bit of nitpicking lol You did a fine job, good on ya. And there's no way Mark will ever pronounce Paraguay with so much charm like you did there :)
:lol  :lol  :lol  :lol  :lol I pronounce "Paraguay" as I know, because I'm spanish ... It would be ridiculous if I try to pronnounce "Paraguay" with scottish accent, as I think  :lol
Thanks a lot for your comment!
César.

Offlinetrullols

• Local Hero
    • Covers & versions
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2018, 06:09:32 PM »
I've made some changes to the recording.I've updated the link on the first post. Now, drums are more present, and I've re-recorded the voice as well. I've improved my "Paraguay"  :lol but I do not intend to give the scream "Paraguaiiiiiiiiii" I hate it  :lol :lol :lol

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2018, 07:29:01 PM »
Drums made using ?

Offlinetrullols

• Local Hero
    • Covers & versions
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2018, 08:18:31 PM »
Drums made using ?
MT-PowerDrumKit VST virtual instrument.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2018, 02:51:36 AM »
I've made some changes to the recording.I've updated the link on the first post. Now, drums are more present, and I've re-recorded the voice as well. I've improved my "Paraguay"  :lol but I do not intend to give the scream "Paraguaiiiiiiiiii" I hate it  :lol :lol :lol

I seriously liked your Paraguay, mate. I was not mocking it. I’m brazilian and it sounds pretty natural to me.

Offlinetrullols

• Local Hero
    • Covers & versions
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2018, 11:24:37 AM »
I seriously liked your Paraguay, mate. I was not mocking it. I’m brazilian and it sounds pretty natural to me.

Yes, yes, I know, don't worry. I understand what you say  ;) The only thing I wanted to say was I don't like to sing the scream "Paraguaiiiiiiiii" at the end of the song, you know  :lol
Anyway, I think now the song sounds better.
Thanks a lot for your impressions!
César.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.031 seconds with 36 queries.