Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Emotional attachment to a song  (Read 9748 times)

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
Re: Emotional attachment to a song
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2018, 05:43:09 PM »
Funny enough most of musicians seems to have a pee break while Sultans, and I think it's a more appropriate song to do it anyway. Actual pee break gives me more pleasure than listening to the SOS for the millionth time. Next tour we will see Mark himself doing a pee break on Sultans! Remember my words.

Given the lack of passion Mark's been displaying during Sultans I dare say that's his mid-show mental break. The body is there but his mind is somewhere else...

I have a very hard time following what you both say, sultans is the song people in the audience go most nuts, at least here in Italy
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2018, 05:55:55 PM »
Funny enough most of musicians seems to have a pee break while Sultans, and I think it's a more appropriate song to do it anyway. Actual pee break gives me more pleasure than listening to the SOS for the millionth time. Next tour we will see Mark himself doing a pee break on Sultans! Remember my words.

Given the lack of passion Mark's been displaying during Sultans I dare say that's his mid-show mental break. The body is there but his mind is somewhere else...

I have a very hard time following what you both say, sultans is the song people in the audience go most nuts, at least here in Italy

We just talk about different things here. Of course SOS is THE song when it comes to Mark and dare I mention, that it got almost 50% in the poll on favourite songs on MKNews? From ALL of his songs. Some artists can't get out of stage without particular songs (Yesterday by Paul McCartney, The Sound Of Silence by Paul Simon, etc.), but Mark seems to keep Sultans in set just for the promoters, because THEY want it. Audience obviously want it, but all in all, the song is a bit *cough* *cough* overplayed.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2018, 08:16:32 PM »
Sultans of swing... I recognize it's a hymn for the DS fans but, for me... The best I can say is that I don't dislike it.

I never understood the big deal of that song, it's good, yes, but for me DS have better songs, like Tunnel or Telegraph.

I had the back luck that in the tour SOS was dropped, I attended 4 shows and listened SOS 3 times. In the show where it wasn't played, I didn't missed it at all.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2018, 08:49:10 PM »
Sultans of swing... I recognize it's a hymn for the DS fans but, for me... The best I can say is that I don't dislike it.

I never understood the big deal of that song, it's good, yes, but for me DS have better songs, like Tunnel or Telegraph.

I had the back luck that in the tour SOS was dropped, I attended 4 shows and listened SOS 3 times. In the show where it wasn't played, I didn't missed it at all.

I missed it at shows where it wasn't performed and I wish Mark embraced his hits like other artists do.  He seems to resent them because they made him what he is today - arrogant and selfish.  They made him, paid for his studio and he doesn't like to play them for his fans. 

Whenever I listen to other artists being interviewed promoting their tours they speak about performing all their hits and how much they enjoy performing them.  Mark can go on talk shows and speak about all the hits he'll play at his shows like Marbletown and Corned Beef City.   :disbelief
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2018, 01:45:35 AM »
Sultans is my favorite song ever and that’s the very reason why it hurts hearing Mark play it so fastidiously.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2018, 08:18:52 PM »
Sultans is my favorite song ever and that’s the very reason why it hurts hearing Mark play it so fastidiously.

Yes.  If only he relished playing it as much as he enjoys watching John and Mike perform Marbletown etc.  ::)
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2018, 04:07:48 PM »

Yes.  If only he relished playing it as much as he enjoys watching John and Mike perform Marbletown etc.  ::)

True lol in fact I'm ok with the body of the song. My problem is with the soloing. It looks like when it gets to it Mark'd rather be locked in a room with Alan and David discussing the RRHOF induction setlist.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2018, 09:55:49 PM »

True lol in fact I'm ok with the body of the song. My problem is with the soloing. It looks like when it gets to it Mark'd rather be locked in a room with Alan and David discussing the RRHOF induction setlist.

Now I get why the solos are always such a mess...

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2018, 04:46:57 PM »
Sometimes I wonder what if my problem had happened to MK, he would have been forced to stop playing at 18 and then what ?
where would he be and doing what ?

I surely would be living a much better life right now
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2018, 10:28:27 AM »
Sometimes I wonder what if my problem had happened to MK, he would have been forced to stop playing at 18 and then what ?

The biggest lesson you can learn from Mark is how to have this overwhelming kind of optimism like he does. Trust me, Mark would be successful even if he had NO arms at all. You can say, that Mark is an optimist because he's extremely successful, but actually, he's extremely successful because he's an optimist. Don't give up, look up, everything's fine. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Pessimism is our worst enemy.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2018, 11:12:22 AM »
Probably, the song that has a most emotional attachment for me is "Whoop de doo", it reminds me of a bad moment in my life and the recovery, in concrete these parts:

So many little things
Are so much better now
They were only the little things
Anyhow

and

If I'm over the moon
It's because that's what I am
Funny that once
I used to give a damn

It's hard to listen to it without a little tear in my eye.

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2018, 06:04:59 PM »

Trust me, Mark would be successful even if he had NO arms at all. You can say, that Mark is an optimist because he's extremely successful, but actually, he's extremely successful because he's an optimist.

oh please, what a bunch of nonsense

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2018, 06:23:14 PM »

Trust me, Mark would be successful even if he had NO arms at all. You can say, that Mark is an optimist because he's extremely successful, but actually, he's extremely successful because he's an optimist.

Go tell Mark, because that's exactly what he says about his success.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2018, 07:07:34 PM »

Go tell Mark, because that's exactly what he says about his success.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2018, 07:08:50 PM »
It all comes down to one's perception of what success is, don't you think? Optimistic people don't need much to be happy. That being said, it's easy to be an optimistic person when you're wealthy and... successful.

I don't really know where Mark fits in.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 36 queries.