Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Lady Writer - Pinkpop  (Read 9249 times)

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: Lady Writer - Pinkpop
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2021, 10:15:21 AM »
10 year old thread resurrection :)
Great video of the band. I've always wondered why Mark preferred singing through a SM57 rather than a 58? He does it right through until the Alchemy era, maybe it was just to be 'different' but it's an odd decision. Witness Freddie Mercury using an SM58 for Live Aid like you're supposed to as a lead vocalist :)

It's funny because I'm using an instrumental mic for my voice on my videos. I think Mark did that to emphasize that he's not a singer (which is true anyway). And you feel obliged to sing really good in a vocal mic. But in the studio, Mark always sings great and through real vocal microphones, and here you have it. I don't think that the sonic qualities of SM57 vs. SM58 would be so dramatic to makes this change because of the sound.

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2021, 10:20:36 AM »
10 year old thread resurrection :)
Great video of the band. I've always wondered why Mark preferred singing through a SM57 rather than a 58? He does it right through until the Alchemy era, maybe it was just to be 'different' but it's an odd decision. Witness Freddie Mercury using an SM58 for Live Aid like you're supposed to as a lead vocalist :)

It's funny because I'm using an instrumental mic for my voice on my videos. I think Mark did that to emphasize that he's not a singer (which is true anyway). And you feel obliged to sing really good in a vocal mic. But in the studio, Mark always sings great and through real vocal microphones, and here you have it. I don't think that the sonic qualities of SM57 vs. SM58 would be so dramatic to makes this change because of the sound.

The overall result, I agree, is not a significant difference. But (using both mics myself) the gain stages are very different on an average mixer (picture entry level behringer), so even back then an Engineer would have been like 'so I have to twiddle harder to make sure the 'gain to noise' ratio is minimised. But yes, nothing wrong with a SM57 for all occasions :)
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

hunter

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2021, 10:22:32 AM »
From Shure's site:

The 57 and 58 microphones are actually based on the same cartridge design. The main difference is in the grille. The SM58 was designed for vocal applications, and therefore uses a ball grille with built in pop filter to eliminate plosives.

The SM57 is designed as an instrument microphone, where a smaller grille size is more practical and plosives are less of a concern. Subsequently, the SM57 does not use a ball grille with pop filtering and instead features an integral resonator/grille assembly, where the grille is actually part of the cartridge.

Each grille design places the diaphragm of each microphone in a different acoustical environment. The distance from the top of the grille to the diaphragm is shorter on the SM57 compared to that of the SM58, which allows for a more pronounced proximity effect through closer mic positioning. Additionally, the different resonator/grille assembly design of the SM57 produces a slightly higher output above 5 kHz.

It's All a Matter of Microphone Application
Although the SM57 was originally intended for instrument applications, there are plenty of examples through music history of it being used as a vocal microphone. This is because the increased proximity effect – and 5KHz frequency boost – can be used to the engineers advantage with certain vocalists. In other words, the same qualities that help instruments, can sometimes also bolster certain voices. It's all a matter of what works for your application. Experimentation, and using your ears remains the key factor.

So there you have it, they're actually pretty similar, with subtle, but potentially significant differences.

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2021, 10:26:06 AM »
Yes, all true. I'm just saying it was a historically odd choice in light of 'convention'. No controversy implied, please use all types of microphones for any reason you wish.

hunter

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2021, 10:31:52 AM »
Yes, all true. I'm just saying it was a historically odd choice in light of 'convention'. No controversy implied, please use all types of microphones for any reason you wish.

But maybe it wasn't an odd choice, but rather a deliberate one. Maybe the 5kHz boost was desired to bring some clarity to MK's voice? (Just guessing.)

Edit: Of course, odd and deliberate are not mutually exclusive :)

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2021, 10:57:21 AM »

But maybe it wasn't an odd choice, but rather a deliberate one. Maybe the 5kHz boost was desired to bring some clarity to MK's voice? (Just guessing.)

Edit: Of course, odd and deliberate are not mutually exclusive :)

I have a feeling that I've read something about it... Usually, I have a pretty decent memory, but I can't remember precisely. I may be wrong of course, but I read something like Mark unintentionally tried an instrumental mic for the voice and liked the sound, so he used it for vocals. But anyway, this 5K boost thing would also be a ridiculous measure to prefer SM57 considering how "well" Mark sang live in those days and how much crap was going on on the stage to care about a tiny frequency boost.

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2021, 11:30:39 AM »
Actually... watching this brilliant vid again (thank you kind person for bringing it back) and seeing John & David singing BVs on 58s while Mark does his lead on a 57 makes me want to bet 3 or 4 Bitcoins that he did it for style only, and... probably... because he saw someone else use this mic - I'm only guessing (no research), but I can imagine a young 70's Mark watching JJ Cale or Billy Gibbons using one and thinking "that's it".
My work in this thread is over, please discuss Marks "tush" and the long lost vid of Lady Writer.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.029 seconds with 41 queries.