Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Back into the Studio very soon  (Read 612971 times)

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
Re: Back into the Studio very soon
« Reply #2460 on: August 27, 2018, 08:08:55 PM »
The ladykillers... I saw one with that title directed by Cohen brothers with Tom Hanks. I guess that was an updated version?

I didn't bother with the remake.  I couldn't understand why the Americans would want to do something so quintessentially British, especially when it was done so brilliantly in the first place.

The Ealing films are typically about the little man triumphing over the big man despite all odds, just like Local Hero.  Whisky Galore adds the Scottish Highland location and an "outsider" into the mix.

Hollywood has run out of ideas and now they are paying the price for boycotting extremely talented and creative people just because they have different political views and agendas. As a result they have to resort to remakes and sequels nobody asked for.

I strongly disagree with this statement.
Hollywood is very smart in making things profitable. It is only that they are not interested in art.
And remakes have always existed. You have to live with your time. If you don't feel concerned by nowadays movies is only because you are not the target.

You got it wrong. I'm not talking about the movies themselves or who/what they represent, I'm talking about people. Hollywood is run by liberals and if you're not on the same page you're not gonna succeed there.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #2461 on: August 28, 2018, 01:05:09 AM »
Hollywood is very smart in making things profitable. It is only that they are not interested in art.
And remakes have always existed. You have to live with your time. If you don't feel concerned by nowadays movies is only because you are not the target.
[/quote]
exactly.
I'm a six foot three albion but you can adjust the seat

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #2462 on: August 28, 2018, 08:43:45 AM »
Remakes sometimes are a good thing because they put old movies in a nowadays context. But that's only when they are well done, respecting ths spirit of the original.

For example, the last Ghostbusters film. It was an attempt to put the Ghostbusters film into nowadays young people whose dads grow up with that film, but they failing because someone believed that it was more important to do something from a feminist point of view than doing a good remake of it, and it failed with feminisit, failed with the young generation to be atracted to the film and failed to be a nice continuation for the old fans of the film.

I also remember the "Psycho" remake, filmed scene by scene like the old one. It was an attempt to put the film into a new generation respecting the original but... Psycho made an impact at its time as it was something new. Nowadays, is nothing new.

The "Ladykillers", I like it as I'm a Cohen brothers fans and they are people who take care of what they do, probably the original will be far better, as they took a British film to an american point of view, I'll try to watch the original movie.

When I think in a remake of "Local Hero" it's needed that the red cabin is there so, when the American arrives to the village, he will discover his smartphone doesn't get any connection and has to use the red phone box, LOL
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #2463 on: August 28, 2018, 12:18:32 PM »
It is true. The red telephone booth is the symbol of this movie:)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #2464 on: August 28, 2018, 06:46:55 PM »
The ladykillers... I saw one with that title directed by Cohen brothers with Tom Hanks. I guess that was an updated version?

I didn't bother with the remake.  I couldn't understand why the Americans would want to do something so quintessentially British, especially when it was done so brilliantly in the first place.

The Ealing films are typically about the little man triumphing over the big man despite all odds, just like Local Hero.  Whisky Galore adds the Scottish Highland location and an "outsider" into the mix.

Hollywood has run out of ideas and now they are paying the price for boycotting extremely talented and creative people just because they have different political views and agendas. As a result they have to resort to remakes and sequels nobody asked for.

100% correct.  And with your later statement.  :clap
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 38 queries.