Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: the new tour  (Read 49350 times)

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
Re: the new tour
« Reply #105 on: September 27, 2018, 11:01:10 PM »
If they use the same strategy like some previous tours tickets will go on sale before the album is out.
I guess his ticketsales are not depending on a new album. They will sell anyway.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 11:03:44 PM by cannibals »

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #106 on: September 28, 2018, 08:42:25 AM »
However, last tours were announced little by little, for example Spanish concerts were announced in two times, firsts one to be announced were the German and British ones if I recall correctly...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #107 on: September 28, 2018, 08:57:35 AM »
I really do hope this time they will announce all the dates at the same day!!

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #108 on: September 28, 2018, 08:59:05 AM »

That's the ideal but it's very unlikely.

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #109 on: September 28, 2018, 09:03:54 AM »

How hard can it be? It is not something unique. Enough examples. Stones U2 GnR AC/DC Paul Simon and many many more......
To be honest, the way MK or his management does this is very rare...
Name me one band who puts out a European tour in 4 / 5 different announcements  :think
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 09:10:03 AM by cannibals »

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #110 on: September 28, 2018, 09:09:06 AM »

How hard can it be? It is not something unique. Enough examples. Stones U2 GnR AC/DC Paul Simon and many many more......
Maybe MK doesn't sell as much as we think and he has a cache. Some promoters would have to work real hard to get concerts closed and that's why dates would be  announced in different batches, because it might be complicate to close deals with promoters and cities...

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #111 on: September 28, 2018, 09:19:32 AM »

Maybe MK doesn't sell as much as we think and he has a cache. Some promoters would have to work real hard to get concerts closed and that's why dates would be  announced in different batches, because it might be complicate to close deals with promoters and cities...
Somehow i found that hard to believe, the part that promoters have to work hard to get concerts closed. I believe MK can be booked in every main city in Europe with a venue up to 15.000 people. Put it on sale 6 months before tour starts, use internet and tv spots in some countries to promote the concert and in the end it will be close to or be sold out...

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #112 on: September 28, 2018, 09:47:48 AM »
In Spain for example he doesn't do more than 8.000, and that would be a maximum...

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #113 on: September 28, 2018, 10:12:57 AM »
Okay i understand but then again his name is big enough to sell tickets for concerts in cities like Madrid Barcelona Amsterdam Antwerp Berlin Paris Munchen Rome Lisbon Krakow Oslo Kopenhagen Zurich.
But if they book him for 10 concerts in Germany only like on the Tracker tour then understand there is some work to be done for the promoters............ ???
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 10:16:04 AM by cannibals »

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #114 on: September 28, 2018, 10:32:10 AM »
Okay i understand but then again his name is big enough to sell tickets for concerts in cities like Madrid Barcelona Amsterdam Antwerp Berlin Paris Munchen Rome Lisbon Krakow Oslo Kopenhagen Zurich.
But if they book him for 10 concerts in Germany only like on the Tracker tour then understand there is some work to be done for the promoters............ ???
do not get the second sentence, the german concerts do not exclude the possibility for the other cities?
also, let us not forget our south american, asian pacific (including kiwi and oz) here they have a right to complain, us,....not really
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #115 on: September 28, 2018, 11:27:17 AM »

MK sales are very good in some countries and just decent in others. Local promoters usually before to hire a MK concert use to see the figures of the last concerts of MK in similar venues from previous tours to think if it worths in economical terms. Sometimes the promoters see that what PCM ask is higher that what they would do with selling tickets so they search for sponsors to help with the economic part. That search of money is what takes time and what makes it costs more time to close the deals.

MK sells better in some countries than in others. For example, in Spain MK used to play in the Palau Sant Jordi in Barcelona, with a capacity of 17.000 people. They used to place the stage in the middle of the arena leaving half venue empty behind, so the capacity is reduced to about 8.000 or even less as long as they put chairs in the arena, 8.000 would be for standing arena, with chairs that capacity is again reduced and even that, the venue is not sold out. You have a clear example of numbers here. An MK concert costs the same to promoters if you have a venue of 7.000 people than a venue for 15.000, so the promoter makes less money, and sometimes there is a big risk of losing money.
Avoiding that chance of losing money is what takes times, sometimes a lot.

Last tours, MK in Barcelona played at the Poble Espanyol square, with an standing capacity of 5.000 and it didn't sold out either... that concert is usually one of the last from the Spanish batch to be announced, because it's not easy with that number of people attending to cover what the concert costs, and you have to close many deals to make sure you don't loose money with it.

Offlinebinone

• Lady writer
« Reply #116 on: September 28, 2018, 11:49:04 AM »
With more musicians involved in the show, the cache should rise. Maybe higer prices of the tickets?

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #117 on: September 28, 2018, 12:00:27 PM »
With more musicians involved in the show, the cache should rise. Maybe higer prices of the tickets?

That's one of the things local promoters could do to not loose or win money with the concert, put higher prices... but higher prices would mean less sales as well, MK is not Dire Straits.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #118 on: September 28, 2018, 12:49:06 PM »

That's one of the things local promoters could do to not loose or win money with the concert, put higher prices... but higher prices would mean less sales as well, MK is not Dire Straits.

I would pay more if they had two fewer in the band!  Guess who.  Go on!  ;D

Prices have gone up every tour though and with a larger band it is a certainty they will increase this time. 

I was just hoping for small venues, small tour à la Golden Heart but I can't see it as I don't think it would be economically viable.  :-\
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #119 on: September 28, 2018, 12:52:58 PM »

I would pay more if they had two fewer in the band!  Guess who.  Go on!  ;D

Prices have gone up every tour though and with a larger band it is a certainty they will increase this time. 

I was just hoping for small venues, small tour à la Golden Heart but I can't see it as I don't think it would be economically viable.  :-\

Not with this band... maybe if Glenn, Jim and Richard leaves their spots and Robbie, Marcus and other keyboard player joins, the costs will be very reduced... I'm sure that the Americans are very expensive musicians to have them on tour, as they are very demanded sessions players that will loose many sessions while on tour.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 38 queries.