Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (07) My Bacon Roll  (Read 62362 times)

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: (07) My Bacon Roll ##* Spoiler Lyrics *##
« Reply #90 on: November 13, 2018, 11:01:46 AM »
By the way, is it the sounds of people eating in the beginning of the song? Man, I'm stunned with the originality.

We have "road" in the album title, let's have a road on the cover then!
We have "bacon" in the song title, let's have people eating in the intro!

:hmm

And good moaning to you, too.

So the café noises are a problem now. Tell us how you would have done it. I'm holding my breath.

How about the sound of bacon sizzling on a pan? But it's only if there's no sausage connection, then you can make a completely different intro.

Love Expresso

« Reply #91 on: November 13, 2018, 11:09:45 AM »
It's the sound of a diner, not of people eating, and it's an ambient sound for an intro which is perfectly fine for the song.

Honestly saying that I think you are going a little bit over the top here in trying to find the smallest detail to nickpick about. Also, if you just have realised it only now I wonder how often you have heard the song before? One time? Or only one half time?

LE

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #92 on: November 13, 2018, 11:19:17 AM »
Yummy, yummy, I love "My Bacon Roll"!     :P
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineNick14

• Camerado
« Reply #93 on: November 13, 2018, 11:21:05 AM »
Rather than reading all the back and forth here in depth - I spent yesterday listening to the ten songs I have several times over. It was great to do. Currently, I think that My Bacon Roll is a lovely song - I find it very moving actually - lyrically and musically strong and memorable. I find the same with Trapper Man, Just a Boy Away From Home and One Song at a Time - love those four - then Floating Away and Drover's Road, which I haven;t heard as much and which the qulsity is not quite as good, really came through strongly too - that makes 6 songs I love or really like....plus Nobody's Child is pretty good too. Nobody Does That is not bad actually - it is not by sort of thing - not music I like really - but it is very well done actually. And Dancefloor gets worse with every listen - I hate that - and GOYS is ok - not bad, not great - so-so. With 5 songs still to hear form the deluxe version things are therefore looking pretty good. One thing I love about Mark are the great moment he produces and there are loads of example here. The chord change moments and thrills in Trapper Man - the wonderful ending of One Song at a Time....that moment in My Bacon Roll when he sings "Have you got my roll? My Roll? My bacon roll" - really beautifully done. And lots of great guitar and other musical moments. I am surprised in the way the sax features - no strong solo really - more soul style parping away in stuff like Nobody Does That - or the slightly dated musak stylings of GOYS - I am not sure why but I was expecting some real memorable solos - nothing yet, unless any of the others feature that.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #94 on: November 13, 2018, 11:28:26 AM »
Rather than reading all the back and forth here in depth - I spent yesterday listening to the ten songs I have several times over. It was great to do. Currently, I think that My Bacon Roll is a lovely song - I find it very moving actually - lyrically and musically strong and memorable. I find the same with Trapper Man, Just a Boy Away From Home and One Song at a Time - love those four - then Floating Away and Drover's Road, which I haven;t heard as much and which the qulsity is not quite as good, really came through strongly too - that makes 6 songs I love or really like....plus Nobody's Child is pretty good too. Nobody Does That is not bad actually - it is not by sort of thing - not music I like really - but it is very well done actually. And Dancefloor gets worse with every listen - I hate that - and GOYS is ok - not bad, not great - so-so. With 5 songs still to hear form the deluxe version things are therefore looking pretty good. One thing I love about Mark are the great moment he produces and there are loads of example here. The chord change moments and thrills in Trapper Man - the wonderful ending of One Song at a Time....that moment in My Bacon Roll when he sings "Have you got my roll? My Roll? My bacon roll" - really beautifully done. And lots of great guitar and other musical moments. I am surprised in the way the sax features - no strong solo really - more soul style parping away in stuff like Nobody Does That - or the slightly dated musak stylings of GOYS - I am not sure why but I was expecting some real memorable solos - nothing yet, unless any of the others feature that.

It's really interesting how our tastes differ.    You and I, Nick14, are at different ends of the scale regarding Dancefloor and Just a Boy, but apart from that I seem to agree with you on most of the rest.   The album release may change everything!    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Love Expresso

« Reply #95 on: November 13, 2018, 11:34:13 AM »
I would go so far that Nobody Does That is the strongest musical band performance from the ten songs. It has a live-one take vibe around it with really great sax and brass. Even if you are not fond of that 70's funk style in general you must admit that this is done with absolute coolness and professionalism.
Love the Bass drum kick at the beginning and what Danny does throughout the complete song.

LE

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #96 on: November 13, 2018, 11:52:38 AM »
If you search Beacon Roll in the Urban Dictionary you would be  surprised of what it says, due to forum rules, I let you check.

I'm just glad toad in the hole wasn't on the menu!  :o
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinevr46mk

• Lady writer
  • Early Bird
« Reply #97 on: November 13, 2018, 11:59:14 AM »
By the way, is it the sounds of people eating in the beginning of the song? Man, I'm stunned with the originality.

So the café noises are a problem now. Tell us how you would have done it. I'm holding my breath.

I am surprised how much one can complain on an album....  ;D

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #98 on: November 13, 2018, 12:12:08 PM »

I am surprised how much one can complain on an album....  ;D

I challenge Guy Fletcher to register on this forum and so I can interrogate him what's this is all about ;D

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #99 on: November 13, 2018, 04:48:25 PM »

This behaviour "hunting" anyone who dares to have an unaddressed view of the record remind me of a troll it was needed to ban, several times...

Mods, is it worth to investigate the continuous behaviour of this hunter?
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #100 on: November 13, 2018, 04:58:29 PM »

Maybe it's really a bartender talking with a client about his previous life with a better job and a better salary in a bar, and the chorus is just a client interrupting asking where is it's bacon roll...

I really like that cafeteria noises and that piano that sounds like in a western tavern...

Really original indeed.

Love Expresso

« Reply #101 on: November 13, 2018, 05:04:25 PM »
I am no Mod of course  but say No because
A) quizzaciously can deal with it perfectly well and
2.) Hunter's posts are generally too good to be banned.

And Boy it's more thrilling as any TV show to follow it. To see who wins.  ;D It's not a bad thing if there is something going on here as long as if it's not getting personal.

LE

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #102 on: November 13, 2018, 05:23:23 PM »
I'm not telling to ban the hunter but to investigate if his continuous hunting against anything Quizzy post is against the basic rules or not, and if needed to get a proper warning.

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #103 on: November 13, 2018, 05:36:48 PM »
I'm not telling to ban the hunter but to investigate if his continuous hunting against anything Quizzy post is against the basic rules or not, and if needed to get a proper warning.

Kind of a inproper way to go after Hunter via the mods IMHO. You see what is going on?

What is a forum if you can't express your opinion about another opinion? He isn't swearing or insulting him is he? Just my two cents.
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #104 on: November 13, 2018, 05:44:07 PM »

Kind of a inproper way to go after Hunter via the mods IMHO. You see what is going on?

What is a forum if you can't express your opinion about another opinion? He isn't swearing or insulting him is he? Just my two cents.

Yes, and I'm the only one who deserves a ban, because for most of the time I troll just for the sake of it.

Maybe I really find the intro for this song a bit non original, but better to put it in such a way to troll sensitive people.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 43 queries.