Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (07) My Bacon Roll  (Read 62337 times)

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: (07) My Bacon Roll ##* Spoiler Lyrics *##
« Reply #150 on: November 14, 2018, 09:05:59 AM »
But still the lyrics are
When dealing with a toastie what do you prefer, brown or red

So what do you make out of it?

Is it maybe indeed him showing no interest so far in toasties as he is a "man out of time"?

LE

Maybe means the character is asking the other people that about the toastie (Brexit) what's his opinion brown or red ( favour or against)?

Being the bacon roll the good old times to the main character?
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #151 on: November 14, 2018, 11:06:31 AM »
S'cuse me, have you got my roll? My bacon roll?

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #152 on: November 15, 2018, 05:49:01 PM »
top 3 of the album imo, if not the best one
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Love Expresso

« Reply #153 on: November 15, 2018, 05:49:50 PM »
Agree.

LE

OfflinePyroaction

• Camerado
    • AFMK
« Reply #154 on: November 16, 2018, 09:42:42 AM »
But still the lyrics are
When dealing with a toastie what do you prefer, brown or red

LE
Brown is maybe a toastie with nothing on it ?
And we have just one world
But we live in different ones

OfflineNick14

• Camerado
« Reply #155 on: November 16, 2018, 12:51:55 PM »
I liked the way MK spoke about this today - with real affection not some snide piece - and also what I got from the song - which I wrote earlier in this thread - was pretty spot on with what he was saying - but from a different point of view. Sums up how I feel alot of the time so this one feels quite personal.

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #156 on: November 17, 2018, 03:57:46 PM »
Number one
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineShai

• Camerado
« Reply #157 on: November 20, 2018, 07:18:08 AM »
From the sounds in the background at the beginning of the song, I detect silverware being cleared of plates, plates probably going from the busboy to the dishwasher; if so, this would lead me to believe that the protagonist is on the kitchen side of the counter - an order taker. It appears that the customer had already requested a bacon roll, since he didn't ask for "a" bacon roll, but instead for "my" bacon roll. That then leads me to believe that he had been sitting at the lunch counter for a while, listening to the order taker complaining about being "Basil", a square peg in a round hole, in the corporate world. The customer is probably impatient and not really interested in a conversation, so he interrupts the man and asks another order taker, probably the one whom he ordered the bacon roll from in the first place, where it is!   

Saul

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #158 on: November 20, 2018, 08:50:34 AM »
From the sounds in the background at the beginning of the song, I detect silverware being cleared of plates, plates probably going from the busboy to the dishwasher; if so, this would lead me to believe that the protagonist is on the kitchen side of the counter - an order taker. It appears that the customer had already requested a bacon roll, since he didn't ask for "a" bacon roll, but instead for "my" bacon roll. That then leads me to believe that he had been sitting at the lunch counter for a while, listening to the order taker complaining about being "Basil", a square peg in a round hole, in the corporate world. The customer is probably impatient and not really interested in a conversation, so he interrupts the man and asks another order taker, probably the one whom he ordered the bacon roll from in the first place, where it is!   

Saul

Absolutely spot on there...  :thumbsup :clap
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OnlineSilvertown

• Lady writer
« Reply #159 on: November 20, 2018, 08:51:37 AM »
Yes I agree with Saul.

Onlineskydiver

• Camerado
Re: (07) My Bacon Roll
« Reply #160 on: November 23, 2018, 08:03:45 AM »
German newspaper "Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung" has an interview with Mark in which he tells about the initial inspiration for the song.
He was sitting in a cafe when he heard a Brexit man asking "Have you got my roll, my bacon roll?"
And that such scences tell him something about people and he uses these scences for songs like in Money for Nothing.

Link to the interview:
http://www.faz.net/aktuell/gesellschaft/menschen/mark-knopfler-von-dire-straits-ich-spiele-wie-ein-klempner-15896198.html

"So saß ich etwa in einem Café, als ich einen Mann, so einen Brexit-Typen, fragen hörte: „Have you got my roll? My bacon roll?“ Für mich klingt das wie Poesie. Vermutlich bin ich daher kein Dichter, aber als Songwriter gefällt mir diese Szene, weil sie mir etwas über den Menschen sagt und ich sie für den Einstieg in einen Song verwenden kann. Der heißt dann auch „My Bacon Roll“ und ist auf dem neuen Album. Solche Momente gibt es immer wieder. Zumindest geht es mir so. Aber man braucht das Gespür, die Empathie oder das Mitgefühl, damit der Songwriter einen dieser Momente bemerkt. Es ist nicht das Gleiche wie bei einem Bühnen- oder Romanautor oder gar einem Lyriker. Der verwendet Wörter, die poetisch sind, aber niemals für einen Song genutzt werden könnten."

OfflineDale

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #161 on: December 29, 2018, 07:44:43 PM »
Just received the album for Christmas and was thinking this might be one of the songs I wasn't feeling (semi-spoken-word singing, lame title, strange lyrics, a bit plain sounding).

After a few more listens, I really like it. Musically/rhythmically it reminds me of Sucker Row which is great, lyrically it recalls a bit of the feelings of Punish the Monkey.

Definitely a crap title, but what's in a name, really? If a woman had the unfortunate name Khaleesi but was pretty and was into MK it would all be okay!

Not my favourite, but growing on me with every listen.

Offlinekaleo74

• Camerado
« Reply #162 on: December 29, 2018, 10:22:04 PM »
Just received the album for Christmas and was thinking this might be one of the songs I wasn't feeling (semi-spoken-word singing, lame title, strange lyrics, a bit plain sounding).

After a few more listens, I really like it. Musically/rhythmically it reminds me of Sucker Row which is great, lyrically it recalls a bit of the feelings of Punish the Monkey.

Definitely a crap title, but what's in a name, really? If a woman had the unfortunate name Khaleesi but was pretty and was into MK it would all be okay!

Not my favourite, but growing on me with every listen.

Welcome to the forum Dale,

Wait to hear it on stage, I’m sure Mark will provide a new recipe for the bacon roll.
If I realised that the chances were slim,
How come I'm so surprised when the tide rolled in

Offlineshangri la 1

• Founder
  • Juliet
  • Hi all and welcome to A.M.I.T.
    • AMIT TV
« Reply #163 on: January 16, 2019, 01:58:10 AM »
Those that have seen the made for A.M.I.T. TV video's of this, the "Video" blocked section starts at 3:37, which is about 1-minute after the 5-second cameo appearance of our man.

OfflineQuality shoe

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #164 on: May 22, 2019, 04:44:18 PM »
This is my favourite song in DTRW.
I think BR is pure emotion from an old man who falls out of a very fast changing time. He does not know how to live in it. And he is alone. Very beautiful and emotional song, I heard it at a concert. Mark chose her for his set list is no coincidence.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 39 queries.