Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (07) My Bacon Roll  (Read 62359 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: (07) My Bacon Roll
« Reply #180 on: June 03, 2021, 11:11:03 AM »
Exactly, I was thinking of The Scaffolders Wife when I was typing that.

I'm just surprised that these songs resonate with non UK people, because to me these people are just so British.

Not always... I'm a Russian and to me, lyrics are extremely hard to understand. But maybe I'm just stupid because I don't understand lyrics even if it's in Russian... So in order to get MK's lyrics, you need to be smart first and also know English pretty well.

I think the point with these two particular songs is that they are so impressively crafted by MK that if you know people like bacon roll man or the scaffolders wife you recognise them immediately from the lyric. Being Russian you probably wouldn't recognise these British people.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #181 on: June 03, 2021, 11:20:56 AM »
Exactly, I was thinking of The Scaffolders Wife when I was typing that.

I'm just surprised that these songs resonate with non UK people, because to me these people are just so British.

I have to say that I recognize those characters also in a certain type of Spanish people. All my family comes from a village in centre Spain, where most of the women are very much like the scaffolders wife is described, and the men, end being very much like the bacon roll man... in this last case, the bacon roll character applies to many people also in Spain, even sometimes me, LOL
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Love Expresso

« Reply #182 on: June 03, 2021, 01:29:14 PM »

I think it was very lazy shorthand to call him "Brexit man". Yes, he would have voted for Brexit but the song isn't about Brexit, it's about a man out of time.

That's the best answer to my question, thank you. That was what made me think about it again. Why it all should be end up at Brexit. The character study seemed bigger and wider than just Brexit. And he announced the song live as the Brexit song. So that made me going.

And sympathetic maybe was not exactly what I meant but some sort of pity and understanding for him. Not a hard cynical view upon him but one with a big heart so to say.

LE

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #183 on: June 03, 2021, 01:40:02 PM »
A very interesting discussion:)

Yes, Mark said in one of the interviews that it is about a man out of time
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #184 on: June 03, 2021, 08:24:46 PM »

I think it was very lazy shorthand to call him "Brexit man". Yes, he would have voted for Brexit but the song isn't about Brexit, it's about a man out of time.

Maybe in MK's mind, a brexit man is a man out of time?

As a musician touring so many countries in Europe, Brexit means complications and problems that he didn't had to face before, so that's going back in time, loosing the easy it was, so, being out of time?
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #185 on: June 03, 2021, 08:39:55 PM »
don't get me wrong here, I rather was not quite precise in my expression, what i meant was that I find him as a hero at least going against the flow unlike other with common ostrich syndrome.
On the other hand, i really feel sorry for the scaffolder's wife.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 08:42:10 PM by Stanko »
three cracked vertebrae mighty man

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #186 on: June 03, 2021, 08:46:33 PM »

Maybe in MK's mind, a brexit man is a man out of time?

As a musician touring so many countries in Europe, Brexit means complications and problems that he didn't had to face before, so that's going back in time, loosing the easy it was, so, being out of time?
when the time run you out you are finally free  ;D
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 08:51:56 PM by Stanko »

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #187 on: June 03, 2021, 10:12:48 PM »
The AMIT page is the only one on the web where you can read discussions as interesting as this one. A big thank you to all of you!
Speaking of 'My Bacon Roll'. I must say that after I heard the song for the very first time I was a little confused about the simple words and didn't know what MK wanted to say.
Like many of you I see in the song a person who cannot cope with all the changes that are going on in the world and who would rather leave everything as it was.
Yes, a man out of time. Maybe a lazy guy who doesn't want to develop any further. Something like that. Anyway you can find these characters all around the world.
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

Offlineskydiver

• Camerado
« Reply #188 on: June 04, 2021, 10:39:21 AM »
No, I am afraid not. But thanks for your input.

I know all that about red or brown. In fact it was me suggesting that earlier in this thread. I also know about how MK usually writes.

My point is that the song shows a likeable character and is written from a very understanding point of view, but later in interviews MK is talking disparagingly about the type of man.

LE

I think one shouldn't attach too much importance to the critical assessment of the character in what are most of the time superficial interviews. When MK is asked about characters in a song for the 100th time his answers are not always differentiated and very seldomly he talks about the true meaning of them for himself.
As well as the song Skydiver, My Bacon Roll is about more than just one character. MK also said in an interview that a friend told him about these team building seminars and that his friend couldn't see any meaning in them. So together with the "Brexit Man" in the restaurant we have at least two characters that feel/are out of place.
You can see these "out of place" characters from a neutral point of you: all of us feel out of place at some point.
Or you can see that from a compassionate point of view or from a disparaging point of view.
I think the song works on all three levels.
One shouldn't attach too much importance to just one or two interviews.

Finally what made a lasting impression on me during the first shows of the tour is MK's gesture pointing towards himself when he sang the line "and so am I". Subjectively I thought given his rather frail health status at the beginning of the tour, this gesture could also mean that he himself towards the end of his touring career could feel a litte fallen out of time and place, but that really is just my subjective little interpretation. But this gesture was the most memorable for me in the early shows.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 10:52:09 AM by skydiver »

Love Expresso

« Reply #189 on: June 04, 2021, 11:20:23 AM »
Thank you for pointing out, very interesting indeed. As I neither attended nor watched a complete show of 2019, I was not aware of that.

LE

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #190 on: June 04, 2021, 10:24:28 PM »
No, I am afraid not. But thanks for your input.

I know all that about red or brown. In fact it was me suggesting that earlier in this thread. I also know about how MK usually writes.

My point is that the song shows a likeable character and is written from a very understanding point of view, but later in interviews MK is talking disparagingly about the type of man.

LE

I think one shouldn't attach too much importance to the critical assessment of the character in what are most of the time superficial interviews. When MK is asked about characters in a song for the 100th time his answers are not always differentiated and very seldomly he talks about the true meaning of them for himself.
As well as the song Skydiver, My Bacon Roll is about more than just one character. MK also said in an interview that a friend told him about these team building seminars and that his friend couldn't see any meaning in them. So together with the "Brexit Man" in the restaurant we have at least two characters that feel/are out of place.
You can see these "out of place" characters from a neutral point of you: all of us feel out of place at some point.
Or you can see that from a compassionate point of view or from a disparaging point of view.
I think the song works on all three levels.
One shouldn't attach too much importance to just one or two interviews.

Finally what made a lasting impression on me during the first shows of the tour is MK's gesture pointing towards himself when he sang the line "and so am I". Subjectively I thought given his rather frail health status at the beginning of the tour, this gesture could also mean that he himself towards the end of his touring career could feel a litte fallen out of time and place, but that really is just my subjective little interpretation. But this gesture was the most memorable for me in the early shows.
:thumbsup

Offlineknopflertom

• Camerado
« Reply #191 on: June 06, 2021, 07:45:06 PM »
Is there a thread where scaffolder's wife is discussed more deeply? It sounds that the meaning of this song is interesting
Greetz Tom

Dortmund , Cologne 2015 done
Barcelona, RAH 21st, Oberhausen

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #192 on: June 10, 2021, 09:19:25 AM »
Is there a thread where scaffolder's wife is discussed more deeply? It sounds that the meaning of this song is interesting

Feel free to start the ball rolling.....

https://www.amarkintime.org/forum/index.php?topic=5231.0
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 41 queries.