Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Was DTWR rushed?  (Read 376 times)

OfflineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
Was DTWR rushed?
« on: April 15, 2024, 09:11:11 PM »
Looking back, was the 'Down the Road Wherever' album rushed? And what about the tour (or maybe because of the tour)? This question has been circling through my head a lot in 2018/2019, but now that the new record is out, I question it again now and then. Rushing doesn't seem like his thing, but maybe circumstances made it so.

I think it's widely agreed upon that DTRW is MK's weakest album; at least, it's not a fan favorite. I found it a confusing record. It doesn't flow like other MK records, there are some really weak songs on it (not to mention the absurd song distribution on the different editions), and it lacks creative choices. I've complained about the lack of cohesion on later MK records before (starting from Get Lucky), but DTRW is the worst offender. I'm not a big fan of Tracker, but you can hear the songs are from the same session and produced with a clear vision.

We know Mark was busy with the musical from 2016 to 2018. He already knew the 2019 tour was going to be the last one. Maybe they pushed the record, knowing they couldn't 'lose' another year.

I bring this up because I think the new record is so much better. He will never produce another Golden Heart or Sailing to Philadelphia, but given the physical challenges he's facing, I think it's a great record, one of his best in the last 15 years. So what if DTRW got a little more time? It certainly did the new record good.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2024, 09:13:59 PM by TheTimeWasWrong »

OfflineMarnix

• Camerado
Re: Was DTWR rushed?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2024, 09:21:36 AM »
Maybe if some tracks were left off from the main album and he would have add precious voice  from heaven and Back in the day it think i would have worked better. But sometimes i don't understand what a song makes an albumtrack or bonus.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2024, 09:52:50 AM »
Actually it was recorded in the gaps betwen the sessions for the Local Hero Musical, and as far as I remember, some of the tracks were also old ones.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinebobfan

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2024, 11:03:55 AM »
I think Tracker is an amazing album, and the quality of the bonus tracks are just as strong. It is by far my most played solo album by Mark. I didn't like a lot of Down The Road Wherever, however, I thought 'One Song At A Time', Good On You, Son' and 'Drover's Road' and 'Matchstick Man' were great so that's not a bad return really, the title track was good. The rest was mediocre, too much repetition, sluggish tempos, even by Mark's standards, but I especially disliked 'My Bacon Roll'. Mark clearly didn't though. I think it was played at every gig on the tour!

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2024, 04:58:34 PM »
I think Tracker is an amazing album, and the quality of the bonus tracks are just as strong. It is by far my most played solo album by Mark. I didn't like a lot of Down The Road Wherever, however, I thought 'One Song At A Time', Good On You, Son' and 'Drover's Road' and 'Matchstick Man' were great so that's not a bad return really, the title track was good. The rest was mediocre, too much repetition, sluggish tempos, even by Mark's standards, but I especially disliked 'My Bacon Roll'. Mark clearly didn't though. I think it was played at every gig on the tour!
My Bacon Roll is my favourite off DTRW

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2024, 12:01:33 PM »
Well if he had taken any more time over the album we wouldn't have had one final tour due to Covid lockdowns.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.034 seconds with 39 queries.