Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (09) Drovers’ Road  (Read 34082 times)

Love Expresso

Re: (09) Drovers’ Road ##* Spoiler Lyrics *##
« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2018, 03:05:58 PM »
Pure Mark.
It gets sp much drive although he plays exactly the same notes over and over again. Great indeed!

Now the dog gets a lot of attention in the lyrics. Is it about him? What does he stand for? Any thoughts?

LE

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #76 on: November 16, 2018, 10:45:09 PM »
Pure Mark.
It gets sp much drive although he plays exactly the same notes over and over again. Great indeed!

Now the dog gets a lot of attention in the lyrics. Is it about him? What does he stand for? Any thoughts?

LE

I have the impression that the dog was holding the drovers back, but I’m probably wrong lol
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlineshangri la 1

• Founder
  • Juliet
  • Hi all and welcome to A.M.I.T.
    • AMIT TV
« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2018, 08:28:49 AM »
Pure Mark.

LE

I have the impression that the dog was holding the drovers back, but I’m probably wrong lol
I have hardly slept since I heard this song and I'm about 90% through Making a Video of it. I can share, but please do not pass it to anyone as it is subject to copyright! If the release of "Tracker" was any indication, then it may be able to be uploaded to Youtube in a month or 2  ??? ???  :wave

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2018, 09:53:06 AM »
This is a Great Great Song.
The Mark's voice is amazing.
Musically it take you away in heaven.
The line .'He likes to find his own way home'
give me a great emotion
Magic MK

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2018, 03:54:50 PM »
This is a Great Great Song.
The Mark's voice is amazing.
Musically it take you away in heaven.
The line .'He likes to find his own way home'
give me a great emotion
Magic MK

:thumbsup Number one
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2018, 10:37:16 AM »
What is a 'Drover's Road'? So for those who don't know here is a lovely historic explanation....

Drovers Roads

Drovers roads were the routes for droving livestock on foot to market. Many droveways started in Wales, and the drovers, many of whom came from Wales, accompanied the beasts on foot or on horseback. Sheep, cattle, pigs, turkeys and geese were taken long distances. The drovers used dogs to help herd the animals.

The main purpose of country roads used to be for moving beasts, so most of the roads we drive along were made by or for drovers. The ones that are not tarmacked are now byways or bridleways.

Most have vanished, but there is still a vast network criss-crossing the countryside. These roads were wider than usual roads to accommodate the large herds, at least 40 foot and up to 90 foot wide. There were often long, thin fields parallel to the verges leading the market towns that were used for the same purpose.

There were many drovers roads out of Buckingham on the way to London, where the animals were sold at Smithfield market. The road from Winslow through Swanbourne was probably a drovers road, passing through to the Stewkley Lane or along the ridgeway towards Mursley, on the way to Leighton Buzzard. The roads through the village are wider than one would expect, for normal use.

The inn at Holkham Cottages (The Small Beer Hall) could well have been a drovers inn. There were many inns, where the drovers were used to find hospitality and these were often marked by the Scots pines. In Swanbourne, the old pub that is now Hart House has a Scots Pine at nearby Fir Tree cottage. Also pictures of The Boot from around 1910 show that it too had a pine beside it. The inns were often off the beaten track as drovers were not always welcome in settlements, or at a crossroads where the main road went on and the drovers road diverted to avoid a village. Farmers, however, often welcomed the drovers, making use of the copious amounts of the manure the animals left behind!

It was necessary to feed and water the herds to keep them healthy. Cattle for example, needed 8 to 10 gallons per beast per day so roads were often near sources of water. The cattle wore iron shoes, but the geese had boots and ducks feet were dipped in tar to make the journey possible.

Drovers roads had high and ancient hedgerows with wide verges where the animals could feed. A local example of this could be Ave (or Hayway) Lane coming in from Granborough. It has all the appearance of a drovers road, and before enclosure, continued straight on to the south of the village, linking up with Stewkley Lane.

In the 1851 census, there was one person whose occupation is given as that of a drover.  James Carter, aged 44 and born in Swanbourne was said to be married and lodging with John Rose, a pauper and former Carman, and his wife Rosetta and 2 children. Rosetta was actually James’s sister. From the parish records, it seems that he was the son of William Carter, an agricultural labourer and his wife Mary, who also had a daughter named Rosetta. Rosetta Carter married John Rose on 3rd May 1825. However, no record of James’s marriage has been found, and there is no sign of a wife. But if he was a drover, he could have had a wife elsewhere – or else, because all drovers were supposed to be married, he might have invented one!  James Carter is recorded as having died aged 48 in 1855, being buried on 26th July.

With the building of the railways, it became much easier and cheaper to transport animals by rail, and the practice of long-distance droving died out, though there was still a need for drovers to get beasts to the railway, and to get them to market at the other end of the journey.

I do hope this helps bring a bit more depth to such a fantastic song & tune....
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlineskydiver

• Camerado
« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2018, 10:50:38 AM »
Wonderful, thank you.
Feeds the imagination when listening.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2018, 11:04:28 AM »
After a little more research, I've come across this beautiful painting by Edward Hargiit dating back to 1893 called simply 'The Drovers Road'

It captures everything I first thought about when I listened to this haunting song......

I hope it helps with the explanation of the song....

'It’s a drover’s road
It winds a hundred miles
You'd sleep out in the open
Calm and still
You could trust a friend
To keep a watch awhile
Your cattle grazing
Quiet on the hill'

'Walk with me
And you can leave that old dog be
He does much better on his own
Leave him be
He’s a better man than me
He likes to find his own way home'

« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 11:07:48 AM by Knopflerfan »

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2018, 11:53:58 AM »
Pure Mark.

LE

This part of the song is purely about 'The dog'

'Walk with me
And you can leave that old dog be
He does much better on his own
Leave him be
He’s a better man than me
He likes to find his own way home'

The Dog (usually a Border Collie) was the 'brains' of the Drovers as it was the dog who actually controlled/drove the livestock with the Drover's commands....
A very simular practice to sheepdog trials and indeed sheep herding (Yon Two Crows)....

Look at the painting I posted above and you will see the Border Collie at the Drovers side waiting patiently for his next command from the drover.....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2018, 01:11:10 PM »
What is a 'Drover's Road'? So for those who don't know here is a lovely historic explanation....

The Cowgate in Edinburgh was a Drovers' Road years ago.  It was used to take cattle to the Grassmarket for sale.  The original spelling would have been 'Cow Gait' as Gait means a walkway.

Love the painting.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 01:16:29 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2018, 02:29:23 PM »

The Cowgate in Edinburgh was a Drovers' Road years ago.  It was used to take cattle to the Grassmarket for sale.  The original spelling would have been 'Cow Gait' as Gait means a walkway.

Love the painting.

The painting is glorious and again captures everything I thought about when I first heard it. Interesting about cow gait

Offlineallen

• A Mark in Time
  • Founder
  • Romeo
  • La KnopflerTK
    • A Mark in Time
« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2018, 02:31:54 PM »
great painting, thanks for sharing!  It gives me the overall meaning of the image MK wants to create in this songs!

« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 03:30:41 AM by shangri la 1 »
My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues.

Offlineshangri la 1

• Founder
  • Juliet
  • Hi all and welcome to A.M.I.T.
    • AMIT TV
« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2018, 03:31:04 AM »
great painting, thanks for sharing!  It gives me the overall meaning of the image MK wants to create in this songs!

Yes, thanks Knopflerfan! Agree with Allen. This one even features in a video I'm making of my own impression of this great song.
Another one of his paintings was in a Sydney NSW Exhibition:- https://www.artgallery.nsw.gov.au/collection/works/5778/

SL1

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2018, 05:15:47 PM »
Thanks to all you folks for the input.  :wave
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2018, 09:29:35 PM »

Yes, thanks Knopflerfan! Agree with Allen. This one even features in a video I'm making of my own impression of this great song.
Another one of his paintings was in a Sydney NSW Exhibition:- https://www.artgallery.nsw.gov.au/collection/works/5778/

SL1

Fantastic, thankyou for the link....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 38 queries.