Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (09) Drovers’ Road  (Read 33853 times)

Offlinekoobaa

• Camerado
Re: (09) Drovers’ Road ##* Spoiler Lyrics *##
« Reply #90 on: November 19, 2018, 11:20:20 PM »
Fantastic song. I wouldn't be surprised if Mark was not inspired by that particular painting, Knopflerfan. Very fitting. Thanks for your description of what drover roads actually were, great stuff.
...Well, he's a big star now but I've been a fan of his for years. The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears...

Love Expresso

« Reply #91 on: November 19, 2018, 11:24:05 PM »
In a way, what became of these Drover's Roads when trucks and cars and trains took over the cattle, is comparable what happened to the Telegraph Road in that song.

LE

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #92 on: November 19, 2018, 11:37:07 PM »
In a way, what became of these Drover's Roads when trucks and cars and trains took over the cattle, is comparable what happened to the Telegraph Road in that song.

LE

Great point there LE....    :thumbsup
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlineenrkaton82

• Guitar George
« Reply #93 on: November 20, 2018, 04:14:19 PM »

LE

My thoughts exactly

And also in "Farm on the freeway" from Jethro Tull
And we have just one world...

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: (09) Drovers’ Road
« Reply #94 on: November 23, 2018, 03:12:38 PM »
As I said about "when you leave", this song is great and the guitar solo is very powerful but it has zero creativity as it's MK, John and Mike repeating time after time exactly the same that MK sings.

It's a very fast and easy way to arrange a song, like staying in the comfort zone without taking any risk.

Think about Sultans of swing and the great two and different solos MK played. That's creativity. Now substitute that solos by one in which MK what plays with the guitar is exactly the same melody that he sings. It won't be the same... Would be nice anyway but... Not so great.

It's like they were in a hurry arranging...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #95 on: November 23, 2018, 03:19:19 PM »
As I said about "when you leave", this song is great and the guitar solo is very powerful but it has zero creativity as it's MK, John and Mike repeating time after time exactly the same that MK sings.

It's a very fast and easy way to arrange a song, like staying in the comfort zone without taking any risk.

Think about Sultans of swing and the great two and different solos MK played. That's creativity. Now substitute that solos by one in which MK what plays with the guitar is exactly the same melody that he sings. It won't be the same... Would be nice anyway but... Not so great.

But that's how celtic music works. I agree there could've been a nice guitar solo in the end though.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #96 on: November 23, 2018, 03:58:09 PM »

But that's how celtic music works. I agree there could've been a nice guitar solo in the end though.

It's not only in celtic songs. Check When You leave trumpet solo, or many of the guitar solos or fillings in almost every song... Even it sounds great anyway because it's guitar, in the end is just repeating the sung part... It's not that is bad, is just that is easy...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineshangri la 1

• Founder
  • Juliet
  • Hi all and welcome to A.M.I.T.
    • AMIT TV
« Reply #97 on: November 24, 2018, 05:08:24 AM »
DROVER'S ROAD - AMIT TV video is banned by YT (record company), but a PM will allow those interested in video clip to preview it.

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #98 on: November 24, 2018, 10:07:59 AM »
DROVER'S ROAD - AMIT TV video is banned by YT (record company), but a PM will allow those interested in video clip to preview it.

That's a great vid SL-1 ! A shame YT have taken it down, have you tried contacting MK.com to see if they'd use it?
Also; credit for not being tempted to put images of Australian stock routes in the vid, like I would have! :)

Edit - this would be a huge hit on YT if it had have been allowed, recommend checking it out. Maybe we could petition Mk.com again...?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 10:12:11 AM by Fletch »
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Offlineshangri la 1

• Founder
  • Juliet
  • Hi all and welcome to A.M.I.T.
    • AMIT TV
« Reply #99 on: November 24, 2018, 10:20:43 AM »
Thanks for your critic Fletch. I will wait a few weeks. When I released the "Tracker" videos that I did, most were banned (I know it is the record company, or music copyright company who do it) early doors, but after the sales period died down they allowed some videos and by 12-months out all had been allowed.

SL1

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #100 on: November 24, 2018, 10:24:20 AM »
Fair enough - I think your video is so good it will rival The Long Road which the YT algorithm constantly recommends to me & has 5+million views. Terrific effort mate, must have taken a fair bit of dedication to produce that!
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #101 on: November 24, 2018, 01:19:08 PM »
Just watched the video and it's really fantastic.  Not only because my hometown Falkirk gets a mention either!

Here's a little article about droving to Falkirk:

http://www.localdroveroads.co.uk/scotland/

"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #102 on: November 24, 2018, 03:17:15 PM »
Just watched the video and it's really fantastic.  Not only because my hometown Falkirk gets a mention either!

Here's a little article about droving to Falkirk:

http://www.localdroveroads.co.uk/scotland/

Absolutely fabulous Video and Interesting article thank you dmg...
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinevr46mk

• Lady writer
  • Early Bird
« Reply #103 on: December 07, 2018, 07:51:02 PM »
Amazing about this album how some songs start to grow a couple of weeks later. I thought this was OK at release. Now I really start to like it a lot, even want to hear it live!

This album has many aspects  ;D

OfflineNick14

• Camerado
« Reply #104 on: December 11, 2018, 12:51:02 PM »
This is one of many excellent songs on the new album. Mark is so good at this style of song - very moving.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 38 queries.