Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (10) One Song at a Time  (Read 64153 times)

OfflineNick14

• Camerado
Re: (10) One Song at a Time
« Reply #120 on: November 10, 2018, 09:17:41 PM »
Well - as some of you may know - I thought GOYS was ok - but not that great, and I hated Dancefloor...so I have been waiting for at least one song on this album which I can love (and having heard 8 of the songs now I have a feeling this is going to be some way from my favourite MK albums -the production and style are not my cup of tea generally speaking...) - and....THIS IS IT! This is a wonderful song - really made by the outro which is MK and co at their best - the weaving of the guitar, pipes and fiddle and the driving drums (which, when I first them, I thought may spoil my enjoyment of the song). Great lyric, melody, music - this one if classic MK for me - terrific song. Of the 8 songs I have heard this one is head and shoulders above the others for me - of the others I like Trapper Man, Just a Boy, Bacon Roll and Nobody's Child - need to listen to those more to see if some/all become really good songs, or become more average songs - but all sounded good on first listens - and then I would put GOYS a notch down from those, and Dancefloor and that other funk 70's thing as songs I look forward to never hearing again....(although, as I am seeing him live next year I am likely o be foiled!!).

So for now, I will put this one on repeat and know the album has at least one new MK classic for me.

Love Expresso

« Reply #121 on: November 10, 2018, 09:27:21 PM »
Nice.

LE

Offlineijnijn

• Guitar George
« Reply #122 on: November 11, 2018, 05:20:15 PM »
Great song, killed by Ianto. He does the same drum dull fill all the time and the rhythm is constantly the same throughout the song. I really dream of Mark getting a better drummer.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #123 on: November 11, 2018, 05:22:39 PM »
Great song, killed by Ianto. He does the same drum dull fill all the time and the rhythm is constantly the same throughout the song. I really dream of Mark getting a better drummer.

Well at least somebody noticed that. I can be wrong but from the top of my head it's the worst drumming in Mark's song period.

Offlinevr46mk

• Lady writer
  • Early Bird
« Reply #124 on: November 11, 2018, 08:45:19 PM »

Well at least somebody noticed that. I can be wrong but from the top of my head it's the worst drumming in Mark's song period.

Is there anything you like about the new album? I see negative comment after comment... :hmm

OfflineNick14

• Camerado
« Reply #125 on: November 11, 2018, 09:40:46 PM »
I initially thought that about the drumming, but after repeated listens I realised that the drums are essential to the wonderful insistent surge the song works up and then continues. That glorious outro is partly made by the drums being the way they are throughout the song.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #126 on: November 11, 2018, 09:44:50 PM »

Is there anything you like about the new album? I see negative comment after comment... :hmm

You see only what you want to see. I absolutely love Just A Boy Away From Home, Nobody's Child, Floating Away. I love the songs for the most part. I hate the organ part in Trapper Man. I absolutely wholeheartedly hate the drums in One Song At A Time. That's pretty much it.

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #127 on: November 11, 2018, 09:49:40 PM »
What happens to the drums in One Song In A Time?
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlineijnijn

• Guitar George
« Reply #128 on: November 11, 2018, 10:23:05 PM »
The only thing you can say about the drumparts there is that there are there. That's it. That could be bareable if the song lasted for 2-3 minutes. In the drumkit there's also a ride cymbal and I think Ianto forgot about it, as well as he forgot about all the toms and that he can use more than one single hit on the bass drum per a bar of a song.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #129 on: November 11, 2018, 10:29:40 PM »
The only thing you can say about the drumparts there is that there are there. That's it. That could be bareable if the song lasted for 2-3 minutes. In the drumkit there's also a ride cymbal and I think Ianto forgot about it, as well as he forgot about all the toms and that he can use more than one single hit on the bass drum per a bar of a song.

Or... Was told to do so which is the most plausible explanation. Ian Thomas is a very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very good drummer and a highly recognised professional, it's just for this particular track it would be nice to hear something different. The drum pattern is even in the intro, it's all over the place. Not to mention, it's deliberately designed to sound "new" and "fresh". Like a modern dance track.

For some people it sounds amazing, but for some it's a disaster.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #130 on: November 11, 2018, 10:33:46 PM »
Guys, that’s the drums Mark and Guy wanted. Remember Brothers in Arms? If Mark was not happy with Ianto’s drumming he’d have got someone else to do it - and Danny was literally sitting across the room.

I honestly don’t get it, I like it the way it is.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
« Reply #131 on: November 11, 2018, 10:35:26 PM »
When  few day ago I ask to JF and Railking, that had the opportunity of listen the whole album, if they found a song that can be a MK's masterpiece, IMO this song IS. I am HAPPY for this song, when listen others good, return on it, I can't stop
 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) ONE SONG AT A TIME is WONDERFUL  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 10:40:16 PM by straitsway75 »

hunter

« Reply #132 on: November 11, 2018, 10:40:13 PM »
To me, the drumming is reminiscent of the so-called "country train beat", which usually is a lot faster. Nevertheless, a "train beat" really drives the song forward, which I think suits the theme of this song very well.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #133 on: November 11, 2018, 10:41:23 PM »
To me, the drumming is reminiscent of the so-called "country train beat", which usually is a lot faster. Nevertheless, a "train beat" really drives the song forward, which I think suits the theme of this song very well.

Yes, like Camerado.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

hunter

« Reply #134 on: November 11, 2018, 10:45:39 PM »

Yes, like Camerado.

Right, similar to that. Mark wouldn't go for that kind of drumming if he didn't feel it fit the context. He may be hitting 70, but he's not senile.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 43 queries.