Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (10) One Song at a Time  (Read 64228 times)

Offlineskydiver

• Camerado
Re: (10) One Song at a Time
« Reply #180 on: November 20, 2018, 08:04:04 AM »
Just to complement Deptford related Knopfler info in this thread,
David Knopfler also has a song about his "Deptford Days" on his album "Small Mercies":

I guess you knew
The way I feel about you
More than any words can say
Yeah it's true
I never made love with you
But I loved you anyway

Against the light
 I saw you smiling, laughing
 As you turned to me you waved
 Ooh such a night
 I was never more than happy
 Than to stand and hear you play
 Deptford Days

And here at last
 I find I really loved you
 So the piper now, he's got to pay
 Don't cling to your past
 Don't build my words around it
 Or forever these feelings will stay

Against the light
 I saw you smiling, laughing
 I see you turn and walk away
 Ooh such a night
 You seemed more than happy
 Just to stand and hear me play
 Deptford Days

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #181 on: November 27, 2018, 07:04:54 PM »
Did anyone notice this reference?

"The Newgate Jig"
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Newgate-Jig-Ann-Featherstone/dp/1848542038/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1543337559&sr=8-2&keywords=Newgate+jig

"A hanging always draws a crowd. But not everyone there has come to jeer at the condemned man. George Kevill's young son Barney is in the front row, and he knows his father is innocent. There are others there who know George is innocent, too - and the men who set him up have every reason to want to silence his boy . . .

Narrowly escaping the clutches of the sinister Nasty Man, young Barney finds sanctuary at the London Aquarium amongst his father's bohemian friends: Bob Chapman, whose performing dogs Brutus and Nero astonish audiences every night, the exquisite doll-lady, Princess Tiny, and her admirer, the giant Herr Swann. Together with Fortinbras Horatio Trimmer, aspiring novelist and meantime author of penny dreadfuls and popular plays, they will protect Barney and seek to uncover the conspiracy behind a dark secret that lies at the heart of the Victorian establishment."

And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #182 on: January 29, 2019, 08:46:06 AM »
Is it just me or is there something with the mix between 0:48 to 0:58?

It gets more crisp and trebly. The shaker gets more pronounced and then back further into the mix.

(or have I just listened to this too much? :))
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #183 on: January 30, 2019, 09:17:02 PM »
Is it just me or is there something with the mix between 0:48 to 0:58?

It gets more crisp and trebly. The shaker gets more pronounced and then back further into the mix.

(or have I just listened to this too much? :))

No indeed, that part in the tune certainly gets brighter...
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlineshangri la 1

• Founder
  • Juliet
  • Hi all and welcome to A.M.I.T.
    • AMIT TV
« Reply #184 on: March 24, 2019, 12:01:21 AM »
VIDEO
Finally had the energy to bring all the parts together (about 130 individual pieces up to the final draft stage) for this wonderful MK composition for our AMIT TV catalogue of video clip 'attempts'.

For the handful of AMITER's who might like a look, we are unable to share, SO PM's are the only way.  ;)

« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 02:42:24 AM by shangri la 1 »

OfflineQuality shoe

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #185 on: May 22, 2019, 08:31:11 PM »
"At the end of the night when our ears are bleeding!" :lol

My ears are bleeding when I hear this "modern" beat. Reminds me the song "Fuh You" by Paul McCartney (yes, he sings "I want to fuh you"). There's a difference between experimenting to get something new and just experimenting for the sake of it. Man how inappropriate this beat is...

As with the organ in Trapper Man, this literally kills the otherwise GREAT song for me. As if some "modern" track is playing in the background.

No, Mark, please leave experiments somewhere else, it's not for you.

Fully agree on the background's organ and beat in OSAAT.
It's funny, almost everyone likes this song, however this is only one song from the album that I listen to a lot, but I can't love. My be later..
But in TM I like everything
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 09:05:40 PM by Quality shoe »

OfflineTRunner22

• Guitar George
« Reply #186 on: May 30, 2019, 03:31:14 AM »
This song caught my attention when I first heard it in December 2018, and I have spent the last several months searching the web for comments about it.  I think one of the verses refers to the induction of Dire Straits into the Rock Hall of Fame in April, 2018.  The induction ceremony was attended by Dire Straits members John Illsley, Alan Clark and Guy Fletcher.  (Mark Knopfler, David Knopfler and Pick Withers did not attend). When I read the verse of “One Song at a Time” that talks about “three mutineers turned off at twelve o'clock” and “the shyster takes a ringside seat
As they're bringing them from the jail and twenty thousand tickets Sold online on premium sale”....

it kinda looks like the lyrics could refer to the induction ceremony.  I wonder if Mark Knopfler thought the induction was little more than opportunistic show promotion rather than real appreciation of the music of Dire Straits?

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #187 on: May 30, 2019, 03:41:30 AM »
This song caught my attention when I first heard it in December 2018, and I have spent the last several months searching the web for comments about it.  I think one of the verses refers to the induction of Dire Straits into the Rock Hall of Fame in April, 2018.  The induction ceremony was attended by Dire Straits members John Illsley, Alan Clark and Guy Fletcher.  (Mark Knopfler, David Knopfler and Pick Withers did not attend). When I read the verse of “One Song at a Time” that talks about “three mutineers turned off at twelve o'clock” and “the shyster takes a ringside seat
As they're bringing them from the jail and twenty thousand tickets Sold online on premium sale”....

it kinda looks like the lyrics could refer to the induction ceremony.  I wonder if Mark Knopfler thought the induction was little more than opportunistic show promotion rather than real appreciation of the music of Dire Straits?
Not with guy and John being there

sent from my Samsung Galaxy 9+ via tapatalk

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinegoon525

• Camerado
« Reply #188 on: May 30, 2019, 10:02:42 AM »
I’m afraid I don’t buy that interpretation either. MK seems to have a bit of a thing about executions - there’s very similar imagery in Madame Geneva and one or two other songs which just aren’t coming to mind. I do accept it’s hard to make sense of the meaning of OSAAT, but I don’t think you’ve quite got it.

Love Expresso

« Reply #189 on: May 30, 2019, 07:11:55 PM »
Read this thread completely, many good thoughts about the lyrics.

LE

OfflineTRunner22

• Guitar George
« Reply #190 on: June 02, 2019, 07:38:16 PM »
To be sure, I’m not 100% certain about my own interpretation either, but here are some supporting thoughts:

- I read about one article which said that “Trapper Man” was about the music industry. https://www.songfacts.com/facts/mark-knopfler/trapper-man. Clearly he doesn’t like being told what to do.

- Whoever was working with MK regarding arrangements for the Rock Hall ceremony apparently was trying to control every aspect of the trip, press coverage, etc. to the point that MK just decided he would not attend.

- The reference in “One Song at a Time” to online ticket sales for the execution  - possible reference to the induction concert.

- The reference in “One Song at a Time” to the year 1979 in one verse and 1879 at the same point in the next verse.   He could be saying that the Dire Straits days were a long time ago (39 years ago when he wrote OSAAT) and it may as well be 139 years ago.  In other words, he’s moved on and doesn’t feel the need for too much hype around the induction.

I don’t think MK meant to belittle the honor of being in the Rock Hall of Fame. He has said that he considers it an honor, in fact.  But he probably had issues with the people who put together the induction ceremony and how they handled it.   

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #191 on: June 03, 2019, 10:33:10 AM »
To be sure, I’m not 100% certain about my own interpretation either, but here are some supporting thoughts:

- I read about one article which said that “Trapper Man” was about the music industry. https://www.songfacts.com/facts/mark-knopfler/trapper-man. Clearly he doesn’t like being told what to do.

- Whoever was working with MK regarding arrangements for the Rock Hall ceremony apparently was trying to control every aspect of the trip, press coverage, etc. to the point that MK just decided he would not attend.

- The reference in “One Song at a Time” to online ticket sales for the execution  - possible reference to the induction concert.

- The reference in “One Song at a Time” to the year 1979 in one verse and 1879 at the same point in the next verse.   He could be saying that the Dire Straits days were a long time ago (39 years ago when he wrote OSAAT) and it may as well be 139 years ago.  In other words, he’s moved on and doesn’t feel the need for too much hype around the induction.

I don’t think MK meant to belittle the honor of being in the Rock Hall of Fame. He has said that he considers it an honor, in fact.  But he probably had issues with the people who put together the induction ceremony and how they handled it.

Like your ideas, but as discussed previously when he sings '1879' we feel its just literally a 100 years before and it fits in with the tune. We have  researched various hangings at 'Execution dock' (Wapping, London) etc but these did not occur in 1879 but years before...

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #192 on: August 05, 2021, 12:06:18 PM »
Still to me the back bone tune of the album....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #193 on: August 05, 2021, 12:15:53 PM »

Absolutely!  Love this tune, but these notes at the end are just teasing us!!!
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #194 on: August 05, 2021, 12:23:12 PM »

Absolutely!  Love this tune, but these notes at the end are just teasing us!!!

Indeed, an extended version would have been amazeballs!!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 39 queries.