Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (11) Floating Away  (Read 34422 times)

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
Re: (11) Floating Away ##* Spoiler Lyrics *##
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2018, 05:18:53 PM »
very relaxing one  :)
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

OfflineEl Macho

• Lady writer
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2018, 07:19:25 PM »
Who can send me links for the songs Floating Away and Drover’s Road?
In advance, thank you!!!
They got a name for people like you, yeh they do
And they got a name for people like me too
El Macho, El Macho

OfflineGIUMK

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2018, 07:48:35 PM »
I listened to the song several times and I must say that, after hearing the most electric part of the album (maybe), in this song I discovered the Mark ... seventy years old. Quiet song and, at times, flat.

hunter

« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2018, 08:17:13 PM »
Dig the lyrics. Weird and wonderful.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2018, 09:26:36 PM »
Rudiger meets Go, Love meets A Place Where We Used To Live?

LE

I'd say that you can hear a " A Place Where We Used To Live" influence more in "when ou leave"

Offlinemschaap

• Camerado
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2018, 09:46:09 PM »
Wow! Very interesting and beautiful song. Love it.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2018, 10:00:28 PM »
Just published the chords for it: https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/mark_knopfler/floating_away_chords_2515563

Pretty amazing little song. Yeah, a little bit of Rüdiger, little bit of Beryl (yes), little bit of Sands Of Nevada, a little bit of A Place Where We Used To Live. But it's never a bad thing to take some snippets from your old songs to make a new one, if it's so fresh and new. Bravo on this one!

Offlinemschaap

• Camerado
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2018, 10:45:27 PM »
Thanks for the chords, quite impressive how fast you figure out these tunes. Will definately have go at playing this one myself as I think it’s such a gem!

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2018, 06:47:06 AM »
Thanks for the chords, quite impressive how fast you figure out these tunes. Will definately have go at playing this one myself as I think it’s such a gem!

For me it's nothing, a little bit more than 1 other listening of the song. But thanks!

This is by far my favourite. And NOT because of a lot of chords, but because it's the song that suits the 69 years old man much better than the same man singing about "Shake your moneymaker, BRO" with an upbeat music. How strange.

hunter

« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2018, 07:29:21 AM »

For me it's nothing, a little bit more than 1 other listening of the song. But thanks!

This is by far my favourite. And NOT because of a lot of chords, but because it's the song that suits the 69 years old man much better than the same man singing about "Shake your moneymaker, BRO" with an upbeat music. How strange.

You know very well that's not Mark himself singing that; it's the character in the song. That's wrong now? Then certainly you must have issues with Mark singing Romeo and "you and me babe" these days? And upbeat is also a problem? Geez, man. I feel a bit sorry for you.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2018, 07:35:14 AM »

You know very well that's not Mark himself singing that; it's the character in the song. That's wrong now? Then certainly you must have issues with Mark singing Romeo and "you and me babe" these days? And upbeat is also a problem? Geez, man. I feel a bit sorry for you.

Looooool, a lot of people on this forum have problems, but it's certainly not me.

So you say to me that I don't understand the concept of a character song? So in "Floating Away" the singer sings about painting himself naked. How could it be then? It's unbelievable they're going to sell the song where a man sings about painting himself naked! Let's do a petition to block it!

Are you for real? Like, seriously? What?

Stop attacking me people, say instead that "shake your moneymaker BRO" is the best Mark Knopfler's line he's ever written.

hunter

« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2018, 07:53:17 AM »

Looooool, a lot of people on this forum have problems, but it's certainly not me.

So you say to me that I don't understand the concept of a character song? So in "Floating Away" the singer sings about painting himself naked. How could it be then? It's unbelievable they're going to sell the song where a man sings about painting himself naked! Let's do a petition to block it!

Are you for real? Like, seriously? What?

Stop attacking me people, say instead that "shake your moneymaker BRO" is the best Mark Knopfler's line he's ever written.

What Mark's best line is is irrelevant. Your issue is that you feel he is too old sing this and moreso to an upbeat. Following this line of thinking, then he should stop singing a lot of his songs then, right?

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2018, 09:15:13 AM »
Very nice song!   Relaxing and I love the tinkly sounds!    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2018, 12:17:11 PM »
I like that kind of "Raiders of the storm" sounds at the end of the song.

Quite strange song, but I like the vibe.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2018, 01:00:12 PM »
I like that kind of "Raiders of the storm" sounds at the end of the song.

Quite strange song, but I like the vibe.

The vibe of this song (especially the ending) reminds me of "Vangelis - La petite fille de la mer" a bit (not musically, but production wise). Maybe same sorts of synths was even used.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 42 queries.