Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New Norwegian interview - last big tour?  (Read 9540 times)

OfflineJarle

• Lady writer
New Norwegian interview - last big tour?
« on: October 02, 2018, 08:45:52 PM »
The Norwegian broadcaster NRK just published an interview with Mark from BG with the following opening:

Mark Knopfler says life as touring musician is nearing the end when he now releases his ninth solo album.

Sad to read, really...

And it follows: The tours are probably the part of the artist career that will "kill me". I have to decide how long I can continue with it.

https://www.nrk.no/kultur/mark-knopfler-til-nrk_-_-jeg-kjedet-meg-i-dire-straits-1.14230793

I am a bit sorry to bring you this...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 09:02:24 PM by Jarle »
It's the end of a perfect day..,.

OfflineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
Re: New Norwegian interview
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 08:55:26 PM »
Very sad indeed but I think we all saw it coming, he's turning 70 years old next year! I'm just incredibly happy there will be a tour next year and I might attend some more gigs than previous tours due to this news.

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
Re: New Norwegian interview
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 08:56:10 PM »
oh Mark  :'(

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
Re: New Norwegian interview - last big tour?
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 09:31:13 PM »
largely expected I guess
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 09:46:23 PM »
Pretty sombre interview altogether really.  :(
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Love Expresso

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 09:54:50 PM »

Yes indeed. And suddenly the grumpy promo pics make sense. I really wonder if there are health issues that let him make the decision to be so open about this matter.

LE

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 09:55:23 PM »

just like the promo pics
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

OfflineJarle

• Lady writer
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 10:01:15 PM »
I am a bit surprised that he says it this way. I always thought that he just would continue as long as he could, and then just stop without further notice. Now it seems that he is about to make a choice...
It's the end of a perfect day..,.

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 10:47:12 PM »
Judging by the quality of recent tours it's a very wise choice, for which I respect Mark even more. He's Scottish after all, take a look at Sean Connery. He lives an extremely happy life without the need to play in shitty movies. I have to say, that looking at old musicians to me is a truly devastating experience. When you know that they're trying hard, but struggle and you can see it and feel it. Take a look at Brian Wilson, this is the man who should've stop touring worldwide a decade ago. It's like a boxer who stays in the ring for too long.

Mark should take a lesson from guys like Van Morrison, who doesn't have a "world tour" and he doesn't need to play only to support albums. I'm tired about his usual schedule and would be more happy to see him in smaller venues, etc.

Paul Simon played his final show of his final farewell tour on 22 September. And so what? He will be on TV on his birthday on Oct 13!

So end of world tours is not the end of the world, if you know what I mean. Take it easy!

Love Expresso

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 10:55:38 PM »
Yes but it's pretty "right-in-your-face" to suddenly hear him talking this way after all those hundreds of Interviews where he told us that he loves it and he will be doing it as long as he falls over. "It" seems to be without playing live in the future after 2019 it seems. So one last Chance to get good recordings of songs that he never played before. I was not sure if I would go, but these are new perspectives of course that change it all.

LE

Offlineboriszhukov

• Camerado
  • We need the headband back!!
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 11:12:35 PM »
I think hes just being realistic. Hes got around 120 gigs+travel ahead. Add 3 -4 years til the next album and porential tour I guess he will have to see by then if he is healty and motivated to do another huge tour. Much less can also do.

hunter

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2018, 11:33:31 PM »
After so many tours, so many shows, even when the touring has become extremely well planned, a lot easier and a lot more luxurious, it becomes routine. Been there, done that, kind of thing. And it gets boring. For people like Mark, creating is key, and touring therefore becomes a duty. In and out of planes and hotels, soundchecks, the static setlists, etc. It's a job. For sure it beats working at McDonald's, but when you're successful and wealthy and can actually choose to do whatever you want, why would you do boring work? Plus the man is turning 70 and has nothing more to prove, and he honestly doesn't owe anything to the fans either.

I applaud Mark's honesty, and I think we can expect some cool projects down the line now that he can free up resources by not having to tour as extensively. One era ends, and another begins.

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2018, 12:14:20 AM »
After so many tours, so many shows, even when the touring has become extremely well planned, a lot easier and a lot more luxurious, it becomes routine. Been there, done that, kind of thing. And it gets boring. For people like Mark, creating is key, and touring therefore becomes a duty. In and out of planes and hotels, soundchecks, the static setlists, etc. It's a job. For sure it beats working at McDonald's, but when you're successful and wealthy and can actually choose to do whatever you want, why would you do boring work? Plus the man is turning 70 and has nothing more to prove, and he honestly doesn't owe anything to the fans either.

I applaud Mark's honesty, and I think we can expect some cool projects down the line now that he can free up resources by not having to tour as extensively. One era ends, and another begins.

Interviews and musician's words convinced me that Mark organised last 2 or 3 tours solely for a purpose of writing songs on the go, so maybe he was able to find other ways to write more songs and can't rely on touring as much :lol

I write some music occasionally and usually I'm best at it while nobody's home or I'm out of home, so I bet Mark will travel like crazy instead of touring. You still can find him in surprising locations and restaurants all over the world, so it makes sense. Portugal, Spain, Italy... I'd be more happy to live like that rather that to be able to go touring with sound-alike shows for 3-4 times in a row. Go Mark, go!

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2018, 12:21:37 AM »
Yes but it's pretty "right-in-your-face" to suddenly hear him talking this way after all those hundreds of Interviews where he told us that he loves it and he will be doing it as long as he falls over. "It" seems to be without playing live in the future after 2019 it seems. So one last Chance to get good recordings of songs that he never played before. I was not sure if I would go, but these are new perspectives of course that change it all.

LE

There's nothing worse to a musician than not being able to play at all and even just not being able to play as before is very tough.
Maybe he's thinking at it and he's a bit depressed.

hunter

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2018, 05:43:56 AM »

LE

There's nothing worse to a musician than not being able to play at all and even just not being able to play as before is very tough.
Maybe he's thinking at it and he's a bit depressed.

If I understand the interview correctly, he says that, because he has made songwriting his priority, he has paid less attention to his guitar playing. So his lesser ability to play may be a result of age/health and choice.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 44 queries.