Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Complete Down The Road Wherever Chord Songbook  (Read 21515 times)

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: Complete Down The Road Wherever Chord Songbook
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2018, 12:48:48 AM »
Drover's Road: https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/mark_knopfler/drovers_road_chords_2515707

So, all the "known" songs are now transcribed. Waiting for the next 10.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2018, 12:59:37 AM »
Actually the most funny now is to people who's never heard the album yet try to play some of the songs just by the chords alone :lol

OfflineSolid Rock

• Camerado
  • Get lucky, down the road wherver.
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2018, 01:02:31 PM »
Actually the most funny now is to people who's never heard the album yet try to play some of the songs just by the chords alone :lol

:lol

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2018, 11:48:35 PM »
https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/mark_knopfler/good_on_you_son_chords_2475192

I've completely rewritten the chords for Good On You Son because I wasn't completely satisfied with it. In fact, I'm still not satisfied and even had to resort asking Guy about one of the chords. So far the only place where I'm not completely sure in the whole album.

Offlinewespresso

• Camerado
  • Stick at it..
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2018, 02:18:09 PM »
https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/mark_knopfler/good_on_you_son_chords_2475192

I've completely rewritten the chords for Good On You Son because I wasn't completely satisfied with it. In fact, I'm still not satisfied and even had to resort asking Guy about one of the chords. So far the only place where I'm not completely sure in the whole album.

May I aks why you transcribe a lot of the new tracks with capo? Just wondering.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2018, 02:58:01 PM »
May I aks why you transcribe a lot of the new tracks with capo? Just wondering.

Capo is actually Mark's middle name... No, just kidding. I can understand your question, because there's like just a couple of songs without capo, but I have a theory here.

While transcribing the song, I try every single capo position, literally every one, even the ones you would never think of, and sometimes you can get an "eureka" moment. But usually you can recognise the capo position right away and it's no brainer, like in Floating Away. For this song there's just no any possibilities other than Capo 1. Harder ones, like Nobody's Child, is not so obvious. The obvious choice is Capo 3, but it just doesn't sound right that way. So you switch to Capo 1 and aha! Capo 0 is also a choice, so I try that as well. But usually it doesn't work completely. Because it's too low, too hard to play or doesn't sound good at all.

So deciding the capo position is a very tricky job and it's a combination of open strings available, difficulty to play and most importantly — good sound. Technically you can play many of the songs with various capo positions, sometimes even more than two, but I try to provide only the right one, with good sound.

In the early days of transcribing I've made terrible idiot mistakes, like playing the main rhythm part of 5:15 am with Capo 1 or The Ragpicker's Dream without capo at all.

And from a songwriter's perspective capo not only gives you a chance of transposing the songs easily, but also gives a feel of freshness and adventure of finding new sounds. I always thought there's not too many MK songs with Capo 1 and here it is on the new album already several songs sound good that way. And the most easy way to know if a song was played with a capo on certain fret is to see it live, and luckily I always get it right. Can't remember mistakes of 5:15 am magnitude of stupidness.

So long story short, I transcribe a lot of songs with capo, because they sound better that way, and probably was played that way for all the same reasons in the first place.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2018, 03:15:06 PM »
very interesting Pavel  :thumbsup

but the way he plays a song live is not necessarily the same way he played it in studio.
I remember some years ago (2011 ?) he played BIA in Am shape with the guitar tuned 1/2 tone down.

so maybe in studio, when he have time, and lot of gear to experiment, maybe he asks Glenn Saggers to tune his guitars differently and tries some new things without a capo ?

if memmory serves he played 5:15 am without capo, and Richard played it with capo 2

but that doesn't mean it was played this way in studio

another example is Portobello belle which was played in 3 different ways studio/live
https://www.mk-guitar.com/2016/02/27/the-black-fender-strat-on-portobello-belle-on-the-love-over-gold-tour/

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2018, 03:23:06 PM »
JF, you're absolutely right, although Mark played 5:15 am live in E, while the studio version is in Eb. My theory here is because on this song it's THE BASS which was tuned 1/2 step down. It's ridiculous, but I just don't have any other clues other than that. Maybe it was a 5 string bass.

So yes, in the studio everything goes, but live, too. If I remember correctly, one of the most surprising things for me was then Mark played Junkie Doll not in 1/2 step down tuning, but in 1/2 UP tuning. I never thought it's even possible, but the good thing is that the song is in Am now.

Just recently Mark played Good On You Son in 1/2 down tuning again and his song with Tommy Emmanuel is also in 1/2 down tuning, but this time on acoustic. So it's a complete mess with tunings, capos, keys, instruments going all other the plays. It's CRAZY, but I like it :lol

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2018, 03:32:08 PM »
By the way, I can't see my question for Guy anymore. Unfortunately it was either lost in communication or got deleted, but I honestly can't believe that.

Offlinekaleo74

• Lady writer
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2018, 07:54:30 PM »
By the way, I can't see my question for Guy anymore. Unfortunately it was either lost in communication or got deleted, but I honestly can't believe that.

I’ve noticed that this morning, strange, is the Doc among us on AMIT ? Hummmm

I hope it’s just a glitch in the Matrix :)
If I realised that the chances were slim,
How come I'm so surprised when the tide rolled in

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2018, 08:18:42 PM »

From what has been observed over the years it seems that certainly he's among us. But never on Earth I'd even imagine that a musician of his caliber wouldn't resist the negative opinion on forums so hard to ban someone on his own forum. It's like 1000000 times more ridiculous than "last posts" here on AMIT. So I'm hoping with all my heart that this is really just a glitch in the Matrix.

P.S. He couldn't hide the question because of the release date, because the question was about the song that was released already a whole month ago. Guy, if you're reading this, please forgive me. I'll stand with my opinion, but it doesn't mean I don't have the right to ask questions.

Offlinekaleo74

• Lady writer
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2018, 03:01:36 AM »

From what has been observed over the years it seems that certainly he's among us. But never on Earth I'd even imagine that a musician of his caliber wouldn't resist the negative opinion on forums so hard to ban someone on his own forum. It's like 1000000 times more ridiculous than "last posts" here on AMIT. So I'm hoping with all my heart that this is really just a glitch in the Matrix.

P.S. He couldn't hide the question because of the release date, because the question was about the song that was released already a whole month ago. Guy, if you're reading this, please forgive me. I'll stand with my opinion, but it doesn't mean I don't have the right to ask questions.

He would have answered your question, I’m sure it’s a bug or something like that.
If I realised that the chances were slim,
How come I'm so surprised when the tide rolled in

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 36 queries.