Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Reviews  (Read 39448 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: Reviews
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2018, 09:03:34 PM »
Thanks.  Nice interview.  Pity we couldn't get the stories behind other songs though.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinekoobaa

• Camerado
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2018, 11:33:54 PM »
Nice find, Rob  ;)
...Well, he's a big star now but I've been a fan of his for years. The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears...

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2018, 11:48:17 PM »
 ;)

"We used to do that whole Rock Garden, Hope & Anchor circuit, where you had to load the gear in through the coal hole on the pavement,” he goes on...

Incredible.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

hunter

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2018, 08:01:12 PM »
A Danish review here: https://hsfo.dk/kultur/aNMELDELSE-Mark-Knopflers-nye-album-er-redeligt-og-lidt-kedeligt/artikel/196851 The reviewer calls "Knopfler's new album [...] honest [?] and a bit boring" and says many of the songs are too long (past five-minute mark).

OfflineKnopflerado

• Guitar George
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2018, 09:10:58 PM »
High-praise review in a bavarian Magazine (original german):

MARK KNOPFLER – DOWN THE ROAD WHEREVER

It almost seems as if nothing in this world could upset this man. Sitting relaxed on his motorcycle, getting inspired by Britain's nature and then entering the studio to form his impressions and passing thoughts on the fly to great songs. The image, conveyed by the video clip for the first single "Good on you Son", is not deceptive: "Down the road forever" is the next stroke of genius by Mark Knopfler.

You'll hardly discover Mark Knopfler in melodramatic newspaper headlines or talent show juries, according to a biography of the guitarist, singer and composer, who has left behind the celebrity life in the spotlight long ago. This kind of life no (longer) fits to the former head of the dire straits, who is very successful as a solo-artist since "Golden Heart" (1996).
Regardless of the high chart positions Mark Knopfler is undoubtedly one of the most important rock musicians. His playing skills are as distinctive as his voice. You expect much, when Knopfler releases a new album, and on "Down the road wherever" you get much.
Accomplished songwriting jewels, presented in the distinctive Knopfler-style.

The ninth solo-output, once more emerged with long-term companion Guy Fletcher, accelerates quickly. After an experienced-rocking kick-off ("Trapper man") "Back On The Dance Floor" is sneaking up from behind with an outrageously catchy refrain. Bit of 80's flair is around - the image of the go-getting star of the past, in terms of fashion slightly disoriented and musically revolutionary, is popping up now and then in the course of the album. Like a mischievous boy, reflected in the eyes of the wise, older man, giving himself modestly.

"My whistle under the archways still echoes down the street and all the way back to Deptford days": Of course, the mention of the place of establishment of “dire straits” breathes nostalgia. The corresponding song is significantly called "One song at a time". You inevitably bob up and down from the first chords, devote yourself to the Knopfler-style seduction-procedure of emotional depth and delicately smoothed melodies and listen spellbound to his story - immediately noticing: He still can do it. Like no other.

Major highlights include again the ballads - getting directly under your skin: "When You Leave" is nothing less than one of the most beautiful love songs of the year. "Slow Learner" appears like a muted statement against the seemingly uncontrollable present-time fast pace. "Matchstick man" deals with an apparently clichéd topic (lone musician at Christmas) in such a wonderful way, that you find yourself remaining delightfully in silence after the end of the song.

A great album. From the hands of a great musician.
Rating: Masterpiece

Teleschau - media service

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2018, 09:34:11 PM »
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

OfflineSolid Rock

• Camerado
  • Get lucky, down the road wherver.
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2018, 09:37:22 AM »
This is a premium article, someone from my compatriots the full text? It is only a few lines readable.
Interview from a Dutch site

https://www.telegraaf.nl/nieuws/2792156/op-studiobezoek-bij-mark-knopfler

This is a premium article, someone from my compatriots the full text? It is only a few lines readable.

Offlinejeffreyvr

• Local Hero
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2018, 09:47:07 AM »

You can create a free account for premium articles on that site. I don't know if it is allowed to post the full article here.
Hey, don't forget your hat.

Offlineskydiver

• Camerado
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2018, 10:00:57 AM »

You can create a free account for premium articles on that site. I don't know if it is allowed to post the full article here.

Is there some info in the article that help us with the meaning/inspiration of the songs?

Offlinejeffreyvr

• Local Hero
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2018, 10:34:29 AM »

Is there some info in the article that help us with the meaning/inspiration of the songs?

No new insights I'm afraid. He explains the album title ("That is a line from the song 'One Song At a Time' which I got from my great hero and colleague Chet Atkins"), but nothing more specifically about the album or songs.
Hey, don't forget your hat.

OfflineNick14

• Camerado
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2018, 10:41:04 AM »
Interesting that thress songs we are yet to here (most of us) as highlights - When You Leave, Slow Learner and Matchstick Man.....

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2018, 10:50:10 AM »
My review on the french site culturebox has just been published :
https://culturebox.francetvinfo.fr/musique/rock/un-parfum-de-dire-straits-dans-le-dernier-album-de-mark-knopfler-281581

nothing new for you of course, and it's in french

the title means "a Dire Straits flavour in the last Mark Knopfler's album"

I know that many here will find it exagerated, but this was my first impression at first listening, and compared to his other solo albums, I stand by it  :)

OfflineEl Macho

• Lady writer
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2018, 03:42:44 PM »
My review on the french site culturebox has just been published :
https://culturebox.francetvinfo.fr/musique/rock/un-parfum-de-dire-straits-dans-le-dernier-album-de-mark-knopfler-281581

nothing new for you of course, and it's in french

the title means "a Dire Straits flavour in the last Mark Knopfler's album"

I know that many here will find it exagerated, but this was my first impression at first listening, and compared to his other solo albums, I stand by it  :)

Great review Jeff !
They got a name for people like you, yeh they do
And they got a name for people like me too
El Macho, El Macho

OfflineKnopflerado

• Guitar George
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2018, 04:21:12 PM »
I really like your article, Jeff!

Here's another review I just detected in an Austrian newspaper (my home country) - again a very positive one:

https://www.tt.com/ticker/15012843/ueberzeugt-in-der-komfortzone-mark-knopflers-souveraenes-spaetwerk

Besides some facts, that are already well-known to AMITers, there are also a few (partly album-specific) lines, that may be of interest to you - so I tried to translate these parts for the non-german-speaking majority:

Convincing in the comfort zone: Mark Knopfler's sovereign late work

Mark Knopfler managed to do something, that only few world stars achieve in dignity: the singer and guitarist stepped back voluntarily into the second row, making smaller records and playing smaller concerts than he did with his Platinum and Stadium rock band dire straits. But he's doing it very, very well - now again on the solemn "Down the road wherever".

As a solo artist, the multiple Grammy winner chooses a different approach since his debut "Golden Heart" (1996): the albums of course are still fantastically produced, but less polished and trimmed on surface charms. The same here on "Down The Road Wherever". As on the predecessors "Privateering" (2012) and "Tracker" (2015) - both reached 1st place in the Austrian album charts - he devotes himself on his favorite music without major compromises.

The new songs again include melancholic ballads, instantly likable singer-songwriter tracks, Celtic folk, Americana and ambitious pop rock, partly with Latin, soul, and jazz elements. Especially the Tom Walsh-trumpet-decorated tracks "When You Leave" and "Slow Learner", the funk track "Nobody Does That" and the bluesy 'Floating away' stand out from the warm, earthy song material.

Another highlight: the nostalgic song "Just a boy away from home", on which Knopfler embeds the football anthem "you'll never walk alone" with his guitar.
In general: This restrained virtuosity, these gently flowing, unpretentious solos manage to impress again and again - as also his nonchalance to insert his rather limited sonorous baritone voice.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 04:28:22 PM by Knopflerado »

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2018, 06:49:55 PM »
Thanks El Macho and Knopflerado  :)

I guess we know each other on FB maybe ?
sorry if I miss the link between avatars on AMIT and names on other social media :)  :wave

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 40 queries.