Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: 2019 Tour Official Soundboard Recordings  (Read 162790 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: 2019 Tour Official Soundboard Recordings
« Reply #525 on: August 21, 2019, 12:41:47 PM »
This tour I've been in Barcelona, Valencia, Madrid, RAH 2nd night, Antwerpen, Amsterdam and Verona, and from all the shows I attended, I would recommend:

- With Silvertown, Barcelona and Madrid. Barcelona for being fresh. Although there are mistakes here and there and sometimes you can feel it was their first show, it's fresh and nice. From that first batch of concerts, Madrid was the best ones as the band was more relaxed and secure about what they were playing.

- Without Silvertown, I recall Amsterdam being the best of all the seven concerts I attended.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #526 on: August 21, 2019, 01:08:14 PM »
Barcelona and Leeds - both excellent!   :)

The Leeds concert is excellent. Only negative it's the "Silvertown" version he played. It's the most boring I heard from the whole tour. It explains quite well why he stopped playing it, it sounds like he was already bored of the song, gave it a last chance but with very little faith... It was quite dissapointed as the concert itself is brilliant, but Silvertown is played with no soul.

I listened to it last week and noticed this too although I must say I didn't notice anything at the show.  Leeds I enjoyed immensely with a large AMIT contingent lording it around the city!  ;D

I keep remembering being at Wetherspoons and the circle of AMIT fans getting bigger and bigger, until we spread further and further into the room!   ;D   I don't remember lording it around Leeds too much, except taking Ingrid to Whitelocks (oldest pub in Leeds) before the meeting!    ;D
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 03:06:49 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #527 on: August 21, 2019, 05:26:20 PM »
Barcelona and Leeds - both excellent!   :)

The Leeds concert is excellent. Only negative it's the "Silvertown" version he played. It's the most boring I heard from the whole tour. It explains quite well why he stopped playing it, it sounds like he was already bored of the song, gave it a last chance but with very little faith... It was quite dissapointed as the concert itself is brilliant, but Silvertown is played with no soul.

I listened to it last week and noticed this too although I must say I didn't notice anything at the show.  Leeds I enjoyed immensely with a large AMIT contingent lording it around the city!  ;D

I keep remembering being at Wetherspoons and the circle of AMIT fans getting bigger and bigger, until we spread further and further into the room!   ;D   I don't remember lording it around Leeds too much, except taking Ingrid to Whitelocks (oldest pub in Leeds) before the meeting!    ;D

I maybe exaggerated a teeny bit!  ;D
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinemschaap

• Camerado
« Reply #528 on: August 21, 2019, 09:46:26 PM »
So far I listened to the soundboards of Bordeaux, Milan, Berlin, Leeds, Dublin, Bergen, Paris and Nimes. For Silvertown I would go for Berlin (although still this version isn’t really good - MK singing out of tune etc), still in general Berlin is a very good concert/recording, maybe my fave of these overall.
Otherwise I would recommend Bordeaux or Leeds, as others suggest Leeds maybe is the best for most of the songs, but Silvertown is sub par (perfomance and mix) and there’s that annoying greenie in R&J.
In general to me Mark (and band) sounded best when they were warmed up but not yet tired/unconcentrated or carelessly engaging in mediocre improvisation, so that would be the leg from Bordeaux up until Dublin.
As some of you will probably note I like a physical product, artwork and putting a disc in my player, so I must admit I’ve bought four of these concerts as wonderful cd releases by diamond records.
Of course I’m still looking out for the ultimate recording of this tour, both sound and perfomance wise. So please share your opinions, especially if you really listened to some of the soundboards I’ve mentioned and honestly think you’ve heard a better one... maybe Zurich, Amsterdam or...

« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 10:02:55 PM by mschaap »

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #529 on: August 21, 2019, 10:20:54 PM »
So far I listened to the soundboards of Bordeaux, Milan, Berlin, Leeds, Dublin, Bergen, Paris and Nimes. For Silvertown I would go for Berlin (although still this version isn’t really good - MK singing out of tune etc), still in general Berlin is a very good concert/recording, maybe my fave of these overall.
Otherwise I would recommend Bordeaux or Leeds, as others suggest Leeds maybe is the best for most of the songs, but Silvertown is sub par (perfomance and mix) and there’s that annoying greenie in R&J.
In general to me Mark (and band) sounded best when they were warmed up but not yet tired/unconcentrated or carelessly engaging in mediocre improvisation, so that would be the leg from Bordeaux up until Dublin.
As some of you will probably note I like a physical product, artwork and putting a disc in my player, so I must admit I’ve bought four of these concerts as wonderful cd releases by diamond records.
Of course I’m still looking out for the ultimate recording of this tour, both sound and perfomance wise. So please share your opinions, especially if you really listened to some of the soundboards I’ve mentioned and honestly think you’ve heard a better one... maybe Zurich, Amsterdam or...

Agree with everything there.  Bordeaux was the first show that really sounded polished and the cobwebs were off.  The UK leg was great and they were fully warmed up, however by the time they hit the continent again I think you are exactly right in your assessment.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

hunter

« Reply #530 on: August 21, 2019, 11:16:01 PM »
Yet both Guy and Richard seem to say that every show was better than the one before. Of course they are being diplomatic, but it's a bit funny when it's all so obvious that it gets a bit stale after a while. So if everyone knows it, including Mark and the band, why don't they take measures to prevent it? If Mark is so intent on pleasing himself, is this really the most pleasing option to him? I find it weird, strange and inexplicable.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #531 on: August 22, 2019, 08:39:55 AM »

The annoying greenie in R&J from Leeds doesn't annoy me anymore - I'm so used to hearing it!   ;D    Silvertown Blues is another matter.  There are no greenies that I can detect, but it's just plain boring!    Barcelona Silvertown, though, is really great!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #532 on: August 22, 2019, 08:51:37 AM »
Bit harsh there Superval, I wouldn't say the Leeds version of SB was boring it perhaps isn't as eventful as the other few versions but none the less personally I enjoyed it.   
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlineheiner.bremer

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #533 on: August 22, 2019, 09:04:33 AM »
there’s that annoying greenie in R&J.

Total novice question... what is a "greenie"? :D

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #534 on: August 22, 2019, 09:11:10 AM »
Bit harsh there Superval, I wouldn't say the Leeds version of SB was boring it perhaps isn't as eventful as the other few versions but none the less personally I enjoyed it.   

I'm glad you like it Knopflerfan, but to me it is boring!   Having said that, Leeds is one of the best concerts that I have heard on this tour, as well as Barcelona.  Now I'm looking forward to the Verona recording and I hope it sounds as good as I thought it was on the night!  :)   
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #535 on: August 22, 2019, 09:11:50 AM »
there’s that annoying greenie in R&J.

Total novice question... what is a "greenie"? :D

A mistake.   ;D
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #536 on: August 22, 2019, 09:38:27 AM »

I'm glad you like it Knopflerfan, but to me it is boring!   Having said that, Leeds is one of the best concerts that I have heard on this tour, as well as Barcelona.  Now I'm looking forward to the Verona recording and I hope it sounds as good as I thought it was on the night!  :)

Hahaha, we'll agree to disagree on this one then.... :wave

Barcelona is without doubt an amazing concert and one I frequently 're-visit' but yes I guess we will be biased in that Leeds was good too. Indeed I'm looking forward like I would expect you are to listen to the Verona recording.... :wave
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlineheiner.bremer

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #537 on: August 22, 2019, 10:04:50 AM »
A mistake.   ;D

Another thing learned! :D Thanks a lot!

Offlinebinone

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Lady writer
« Reply #538 on: August 22, 2019, 01:15:56 PM »
Nobody talks about Cordoba. There will be a matrix recording (mix of sbd and aud recordings) that shows the real feeling of a  great audience.

Offlinevr46mk

• Lady writer
  • Early Bird
« Reply #539 on: August 22, 2019, 10:43:04 PM »
Nobody talks about Cordoba. There will be a matrix recording (mix of sbd and aud recordings) that shows the real feeling of a  great audience.

And soon some very nice soundboard concerts will appear  ;)

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 40 queries.