Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Produced by Guy Fletcher  (Read 36505 times)

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Produced by Guy Fletcher
« on: November 09, 2018, 11:34:25 PM »
So after hearing 5 songs from the album one can come to the conclusion that it's a Guy Fletcher's album disguised as a Mark Knopfler's album.

Each album Guy seems to gain more and more control over Mark's music, being a producer, engineer, director, arranger, keyboard player, photographer, blogger, I won't be surprised if as a kind of "thank you" gesture Mark will be kind enough to give him a songwriting credit one day. Somebody called Back On The Dance Floor a Guy Fletcher's composition with Mark as a guest artist. How beautiful is that?

This drives me crazy, because in a lot of ways Mark's music is going downhill. The songs are still great (you can't say it about most of the "old socks" these days), but what kills it is this "modern" approach and "killer" production, please excuse the term. I just hate the drums in One Song At A Time. I just hate the annoying organ in Trapper Man. Overall Guy's presence is so strong that it almost feels like his album.

Anyway, I'm just so pissed off that I hope Guy will hear some of the complaints, which is not only my opinion, but for a lot of people. Don't get me wrong, I admire his work and I certainly understand that Mark always keeps him by his side for the very good reasons, but excuse me, if I hear a shitty rhythm, a shitty organ and killer production in Mark's song that just ruins the song for me, I can't stand it.

Peace.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Re: Produced by Guy Fletcher
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 11:38:28 PM »
Oh dear, some strong opinions there... Not sure I'm with you when you say it's a Guy Fletcher album purely because Guy couldn't come up with such fantastic lyrics... Or guitar work..
So you won't be buying the new album then....
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 11:40:49 PM by Knopflerfan »
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

hunter

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 11:43:10 PM »
I'm perfectly OK with Mark letting others take over a bit. I'm not saying Guy is my first choice for the producer role, but it was time for a change of sorts and Guy knows how to make a record.

Love Expresso

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 11:45:12 PM »
Fair enough, but looking at amit tonight it seems this is a minority view. I know exactly what you mean as I was underwhelmed by GOYS and BOTD, too.
Can't agree about the shitty rhythm though.

There are 11 other new songs, maybe you will find something that you can love.

I still think you cannot do what you want if you work for Mark Knopfler. He always kept a lot of work and effort into all his albums, so I guess he will agree with all that Guy does or even orders it this way.

LE

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 11:51:13 PM »
Oh dear, some strong opinions there... Not sure I'm with you when you say it's a Guy Fletcher album purely because Guy couldn't come up with such fantastic lyrics... Or guitar work..
So you won't be buying the new album then....

I don't buy albums these days, I listen all the music through streaming services with the annual subscription plan ;D
I am going to see Mark live, hoping to hear the better arrangements of these two songs if they're going to play it.

You're absolutely right about fantastic lyrics, guitar work and vocals. It's just that the package isn't so impressive.

I'm not a "the grass was greener" type of guy, but do you have a feeling of changing something in songs like What It Is? Or even Privateering, or even River Towns for that matter? And I'm not an old listener, I'm just in my late 20s. I listen to the modern music a lot. But this modern approach just makes me sick.

hunter

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 11:52:43 PM »
Guys, would any of you be so kind and share any links you may have? Much appreciated.

Love Expresso

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 11:54:59 PM »
Privateering is a very good example for ruining a song in the studio from my point of view. I hate the album version but really love it live.

LE

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 11:55:34 PM »
Fair enough, but looking at amit tonight it seems this is a minority view. I know exactly what you mean as I was underwhelmed by GOYS and BOTD, too.
Can't agree about the shitty rhythm though.

There are 11 other new songs, maybe you will find something that you can love.

I still think you cannot do what you want if you work for Mark Knopfler. He always kept a lot of work and effort into all his albums, so I guess he will agree with all that Guy does or even orders it this way.

LE

Well even with JF's and Rail King's reviews you can safely say that Heavy Up is yet another Guy Fletcher's masterpiece, so 10 new songs.

Your sentence about Mark's control baffles me the most. I absolutely agree that with his name on the cover of the album he won't let somebody just take control over everything. But maybe Guy is just very good at convincing people as he's good with EVERYTHING else?

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2018, 12:06:00 AM »
Privateering is a very good example for ruining a song in the studio from my point of view. I hate the album version but really love it live.

LE

Yeah, Privateering is a very good live song. Don't think that ruining of the studio version is on par with something like Trapper Man though.

Privateering as a whole is a pretty strong album in terms of the arrangements, with the one exception of the dreadful delays in Drowned Submariner. Oh my God, when I first heard Submariner and the awful pop-styled echoes in the mid section, I almost puked myself. I'll never ever listen to the studio version of this song. And what we have in alleged GF's composition Back On The Dance Floor? More delays! Yeah!

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2018, 02:26:16 AM »
For some people here good is never good enough
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2018, 02:31:39 AM »
For some people here good is never good enough.

No good is when you listen to the new song from your favourite artist and can't even make it through the whole thing.
I know I should just stop and walk away, but again — it is not just the song. It's Mark Knopfler's song, and this is AMIT.

I know I can't change a thing, I know Mark and Co. doesn't care a bit. But I care and I express my opinion.

Yes, my opinion is harsh, but the song itself is good. What is bad is over production. And this is what this thread is all about.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2018, 08:57:14 AM »
Fair enough, you aren't keen on some of the production issues and that's your opinion, good show but personally I'm not letting that distract from what I believe is boiling up to be a very good album by 'The Master'.... Let's now perhaps talk more positively about what is to come because I am like the majority on this fab forum getting pretty darn excited about receiving my limited edition box set and playing the new album!!!  ;) :wave
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 08:59:25 AM by Knopflerfan »
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2018, 11:08:54 AM »
Fair enough, you aren't keen on some of the production issues and that's your opinion, good show but personally I'm not letting that distract from what I believe is boiling up to be a very good album by 'The Master'.... Let's now perhaps talk more positively about what is to come because I am like the majority on this fab forum getting pretty darn excited about receiving my limited edition box set and playing the new album!!!  ;) :wave

I love your positive approach and I'm also a very positive man, despite all my "negative" posts. It's not negative, it's honest.

The fact that most people like the new arrangements makes me think that Mark can produce a rap or metal song and everybody will go "WOW! How fresh and new!". I just don't like the idea of Mark going into easy listening genre. Give me some serious songs like "Nobody's Child". So far 4 of 5 songs are skippers for me and mostly because of the arrangements and production, not the songs itself.

I'm so happy for all the people who's in love with new songs, I only wish I'd share your excitement, but I'm a bit worried, that's all.

Offlinemschaap

• Camerado
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2018, 11:38:16 AM »
I have often wondered what the exact influence of Guy is on Mark’s music and with this new album I am even more intrigued. It’s some sort of an enigma. On one hand Guy seems a very multi talented musician, knowlegable studio engineer and experienced producer who is extremely highly valued by Mark. On the other hand, as a musician he always seems to play ‘filler’ parts that never really enhance a song. And when he plays lead parts live I more then once noticed he rushes, making the band sound less tight. As for prduction work it seems the more space he gets the cheesier it gets, but that’s an aguable opinion of course. However, when you’ve followed Mark’s career it becomes obvious that nothing ever happens that Mark wouldn’t want of like just that way, in that line of thinking you can’t blame Guy.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 11:40:19 AM by mschaap »

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2018, 11:49:49 AM »
I have often wondered what the exact influence of Guy is on Mark’s music and with this new album I am even more intrigued. It’s some sort of an enigma. On one hand Guy seems a very multi talented musician, knowlegable studio engineer and experienced producer who is extremely highly valued by Mark. On the other hand, as a musician he always seems to play ‘filler’ parts that never really enhance a song. And when he plays lead parts live I more then once noticed he rushes, making the band sound less tight. As for prduction work it seems the more space he gets the cheesier it gets, but that’s an aguable opinion of course. However, when you’ve followed Mark’s career it becomes obvious that nothing ever happens that Mark wouldn’t want of like just that way, in that line of thinking you can’t blame Guy.

Now that's the level of discussion I was looking for. The word "cheesier" is a very good word. Now I'm listening to "My Bacon Roll" and it almost gives me a feeling of a pop track from the 90s and it's a Mark Knopfler's song! From the year 2018! The more I listen to the new album, the more questions arise.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 46 queries.