Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Produced by Guy Fletcher  (Read 36413 times)

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
Re: Produced by Guy Fletcher
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2018, 12:08:20 PM »
Isn't just Guy doing what Guy has been doing since 1985 and the BIA tour ? Cheesy sound effects on the Man To Strong, overdriven-to-death drums, lots of synths and overdriven guitar ? Maybe he kept his Atari ST from that time and still uses it :)
Come on, Guy... Captain Future sounds effects ! nobody does that... anymore ! ;)

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2018, 12:19:37 PM »
Isn't just Guy doing what Guy has been doing since 1985 and the BIA tour ? Cheesy sound effects on the Man To Strong, overdriven-to-death drums, lots of synths and overdriven guitar ? Maybe he kept his Atari ST from that time and still uses it :)
Come on, Guy... Captain Future sounds effects ! nobody does that... anymore ! ;)

A good point, herlock. Well, if so, Guy must've been copying trends back in the day and he's doing it now obviously. The trouble is the music in the 80s was pretty good overall (don't throw stones at me), and today's music is whole other level. I get this trend of cheesier and more pop sound with a touch of dance and drum and bass, but I never wanted to hear THAT in Mark's music.

Luckily, there's some typical MK songs left on the album like Nobody's Child and Just A Boy. I hope to hear more like this.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2018, 12:50:22 PM »
For some people here good is never good enough
Who decides what's good?
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2018, 12:52:45 PM »
For some people here good is never good enough
Who decides what's good?

I don’t. And I’m not implying that I decide that. I will leave it there. So many people, so many opinions.
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2018, 02:08:41 PM »
The thing is I hadn't had a single question for Mark's music up until 2012 and the release of Privateering, that was the point of no return.

First you have this strange album filled with filler songs to justify the "first double album" gimmick nobody asked for, then you have the notorious static setlist situation, the "best album ever" being Tracker, then rubbish 2015 concert recordings, now you have overly produced album filled with pop tunes and strange decisions. I'd be happy to like all that, but I simply can't "like" it, too much things are suddenly going wrong at the same time.

Imagine putting all the best songs from last 3 albums in one, that would be an album of Brother In Arms magnitude. Imagine Mark releasing all his blues dreams in a separate album/project and not putting it without order on his "first double album ever". Imagine removing all the pop clichés and Guy's gimmicks from the new album. How better the world would be? I honestly try my best to not lose my head, but I'm utterly and genuinely disappointed.

Love Expresso

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2018, 03:26:39 PM »
I guess it has to do with lack of inspiration. He is used to make music, writing songs seems to be a habit. That so-called prolific song writing is in the end doing something with too much time in your hands. He should really have just taken a break from music for some years without songwriting and come back refreshed. I also blame the studio situation for it. It's a playground with no limits on time, material and money. Sometimes limits are great though. See Shangri-La or the first two DS albums.

LE

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2018, 03:30:40 PM »
FFS, yet more negativeness.....Just be grateful we haven't an album of MK playing Christmas songs!!!! :disbelief :disbelief
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2018, 03:42:30 PM »
FFS, yet more negativeness.....Just be grateful we haven't an album of MK playing Christmas songs!!!! :disbelief :disbelief

It's not negativity FFS. And blindly praising everything is not positiveness as well, it's just being stupid. The world is not black and white, you know?

Eric Clapton's Christmas album by the way is a very good example of what Mark can come to one day. And I DON'T want it. And you?

Love Expresso

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2018, 03:43:39 PM »
This time it's difficult.. from the 8 songs I know it's totally no album feel. From very bad over potential growers to really great stuff it's a collection of all. Some are too adventurous for me. Maybe I should wait with further judgement before mit having heard the album completely.

LE

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2018, 03:46:36 PM »
This time it's difficult.. from the 8 songs I know it's totally no album feel. From very bad over potential growers to really great stuff it's a collection of all. Some are too adventurous for me. Maybe I should wait with further judgement before mit having heard the album completely.

LE

Good call LE....

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2018, 03:47:18 PM »

It's not negativity FFS. And blindly praising everything is not positiveness as well, it's just being stupid. The world is not black and white, you know?

Eric Clapton's Christmas album by the way is a very good example of what Mark can come to one day. And I DON'T want it. And you?

That came across as quite rude, but I'm sure you don't mean it that way..Explain if you will/can......

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2018, 03:53:12 PM »

That came across as quite rude, but I'm sure you don't mean it that way..Explain if you will/can......

No, I didn't mean anything rude and actually was expecting your reply to be like that. No rudeness intended at all, don't worry.
I just want to say that when you critique something in a bad way it doesn't necessarily mean that you're transferring negativity.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2018, 04:00:06 PM »

No, I didn't mean anything rude and actually was expecting your reply to be like that. No rudeness intended at all, don't worry.
I just want to say that when you critique something in a bad way it doesn't necessarily mean that you're transferring negativity.

Quite agree, that negativeness can be indeed very positive.
Everyone is entitled to THEIR opinion on here and what is rubbish for you may not necessarily be for others - we are all different you know.

I think most AMITers on here would agree that lets now wait for the album to be released in its entirety and then perhaps we can discuss them at length constructively....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2018, 04:09:07 PM »
When the album is released, I'm sure everything will be seen in a different light - the order of the tracks can be very important.   :)

BTW   One Song...... and Trapperman are growing on me now - they've been played most of the morning!   ::)   

So, now having heard 7 songs, Dancefloor is still my #1!    ;)   
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 04:13:55 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2018, 04:11:52 PM »
Quite agree, that negativeness can be indeed very positive.
Everyone is entitled to THEIR opinion on here and what is rubbish for you may not necessarily be for others - we are all different you know.

I think most AMITers on here would agree that lets now wait for the album to be released in its entirety and then perhaps we can discuss them at length constructively....

Absolutely. This is like the negativity looks from my side, so if anyone can call it "pessimistic", you can throw as many stones at me as you like :lol

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 40 queries.