Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Produced by Guy Fletcher  (Read 36398 times)

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Re: Produced by Guy Fletcher
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2018, 04:12:56 PM »
When the album is released, I'm sure everything will be seen in a different light - the order of the tracks can be very important.   :)

BTW   One Song...... and Trapperman are growing on me now - they've been played most of the morning!   ::)     

Yes, I agree and once we've worn the CD/Vinyl out we will be much clearer in our minds what MK wanted to achieve with this album. I'm taking the Guy influence with a pinch of salt as MK usually does right! One song - has been worn out where I've played it so much!!!
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2018, 04:15:30 PM »
When the album is released, I'm sure everything will be seen in a different light - the order of the tracks can be very important.   :)

BTW   One Song...... and Trapperman are growing on me now - they've been played most of the morning!   ::)     

Exactly :thumbsup  I am waiting for the album. I do not listen before ;)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2018, 04:16:53 PM »
Quite agree, that negativeness can be indeed very positive.
Everyone is entitled to THEIR opinion on here and what is rubbish for you may not necessarily be for others - we are all different you know.

I think most AMITers on here would agree that lets now wait for the album to be released in its entirety and then perhaps we can discuss them at length constructively....

Absolutely. This is like the negativity looks from my side, so if anyone can call it "pessimistic", you can throw as many stones at me as you like :lol

Please tell me you cleaned that Mac for the photo.  Mine has things growing on it!  :disbelief
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2018, 04:17:11 PM »
Everyone around here knows I never shrink from exposing my opinion about anything related to Mark - and by doing so I quite often get criticized.

That being said, I really like the four new songs I got to listen to so far. I guess it's all a matter of taste. If Guy is responsible for this new approach he has my praise for that.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2018, 04:26:06 PM »
Everyone around here knows I never shrink from exposing my opinion about anything related to Mark - and by doing so I quite often get criticized.

That being said, I really like the four new songs I got to listen to so far. I guess it's all a matter of taste. If Guy is responsible for this new approach he has my praise for that.

Of course he is, I don't know why, but you can almost feel it. Kudos to him that his influence can be so obvious to see, but it really is.

Please tell me you cleaned that Mac for the photo.  Mine has things growing on it!  :disbelief

No, not at all. I actually can take a close up picture of the computer and you'll see a perfectly new laptop, because I'm crazy at being a good user. All my equipment, guitars and computers is perfectly clean at all times, I regularly clean the house and not a single fingerprint appears neither on my laptop's screen or home office screen. I wipe it every day and overall I'm a maniac when it comes to cleanliness. It's just me.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2018, 04:30:24 PM »

Excellent and good for you....

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2018, 04:36:20 PM »

Of course he is, I don't know why, but you can almost feel it. Kudos to him that his influence can be so obvious to see, but it really is.

No, not at all. I actually can take a close up picture of the computer and you'll see a perfectly new laptop, because I'm crazy at being a good user. All my equipment, guitars and computers is perfectly clean at all times, I regularly clean the house and not a single fingerprint appears neither on my laptop's screen or home office screen. I wipe it every day and overall I'm a maniac when it comes to cleanliness. It's just me.

Me too, just joking.  I just always find it amazing how quickly my Mac gets grimy looking and I have to wipe it!
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2018, 04:39:52 PM »

More songs, more praise from me. I love it. It's kinda funny, as soon as I learnt that Robbie McIntosh was involved in the project I knew what I was getting.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2018, 04:44:05 PM »

More songs, more praise from me. I love it. It's kinda funny, as soon as I learnt that Robbie McIntosh was involved in the project I knew what I was getting.

I'm with you on all counts. I like everything so far and am enjoying what I've heard.. Robbie Mcintosh - Legend!

Offlinekaleo74

• Lady writer
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2018, 05:37:27 PM »
This album only proves how huge and varied Mark's palette is and how talented his musicians are.
I am very satisfied with what I have listened to so far, it's fresh, exciting, dancing, new sounds, beautiful melodies ... what else!
If I realised that the chances were slim,
How come I'm so surprised when the tide rolled in

hunter

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2018, 06:04:18 PM »
This album only proves how huge and varied Mark's palette is and how talented his musicians are.
I am very satisfied with what I have listened to so far, it's fresh, exciting, dancing, new sounds, beautiful melodies ... what else!

Agree on all counts. It has some of the positive vibe of Golden Heart. So looking forward to getting the CD and playing it on my hifi system.

OfflineK-alberto

• Camerado
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2018, 07:21:37 PM »
Honestly, I find this new arrangements pretty good and capable of giving the right variety and dynamic to the songs.
All that said, I think that a bad arrangement could not ruin a good song, and vice versa. These are good songs, and this arrangement fits very well for me!

OfflineRolleyway Man

• Camerado
    • Mike’s Musical Musings
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2018, 08:21:48 PM »
So after hearing 5 songs from the album one can come to the conclusion that it's a Guy Fletcher's album disguised as a Mark Knopfler's album.

Each album Guy seems to gain more and more control over Mark's music, being a producer, engineer, director, arranger, keyboard player, photographer, blogger, I won't be surprised if as a kind of "thank you" gesture Mark will be kind enough to give him a songwriting credit one day. Somebody called Back On The Dance Floor a Guy Fletcher's composition with Mark as a guest artist. How beautiful is that?

This drives me crazy, because in a lot of ways Mark's music is going downhill. The songs are still great (you can't say it about most of the "old socks" these days), but what kills it is this "modern" approach and "killer" production, please excuse the term. I just hate the drums in One Song At A Time. I just hate the annoying organ in Trapper Man. Overall Guy's presence is so strong that it almost feels like his album.

Anyway, I'm just so pissed off that I hope Guy will hear some of the complaints, which is not only my opinion, but for a lot of people. Don't get me wrong, I admire his work and I certainly understand that Mark always keeps him by his side for the very good reasons, but excuse me, if I hear a shitty rhythm, a shitty organ and killer production in Mark's song that just ruins the song for me, I can't stand it.

Peace.

I completely agree with you…

…except in literally every single way.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2018, 08:31:01 PM »
I have a theory (that is a joke at the same time)

MK had to left the sessions for his own record in Guy's hands to go to work with David Greig and Bill Forsyth in the musical with the total approval to Guy yo do whatever he thinks suit the songs better... That's why his influence is that big in all songs.

LOL
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2018, 09:11:31 PM »
I have a theory (that is a joke at the same time)

MK had to left the sessions for his own record in Guy's hands to go to work with David Greig and Bill Forsyth in the musical with the total approval to Guy yo do whatever he thinks suit the songs better... That's why his influence is that big in all songs.

LOL

It’s a miracle, your post made me like that musical lol

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 38 queries.