Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Video screens  (Read 4772 times)

Offlinedsbs

• Guitar George
Video screens
« on: November 17, 2018, 07:16:14 PM »
Hi there,
I'm really mad thinking about last big tour with no video screens again. I have tickets for the Madrid show in a venue with a capacity of almost 18.000 people. Been to all previous tours (except E.Harris & Dylan) and always find this very disrespectful to fans.

All other great world known artists I have been lucky to see live do carry video screens: Bruce Springsteen, Bryan Adams, Sting, Elton John, Eric Clapton, Roger Waters, Roger Hodgson, Paul McCartney, Rolling Stones, Phil Collins, Rod Stewart, etc. All of them except our beloved Mark Knopfler. This makes me mad and sad at the same time.

I wrote Guy Fletcher (forum) and PC management with no hope at all.

What do you think about it?

Love Expresso

Re: Video screens
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 07:46:28 PM »
You are absolutely right.

Playing the big 10.000+ or even 15.000+ hangars is absolutely the wrong way and doesn't fit with Mark's music at all. But IF they play these big venues, they should of course use screens. This is so ridiculously obvious that only MK can come up with reservations against it (too expensive, too much "show" etc.)

LE

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 08:38:32 PM »
The big screens are helpful for those sitting at the back, however those down front have to occupy themselves with video cameras in front of the stage filming the band.  Then there is the cost.  PCM will point out the cost of tickets compared to the likes of those mentioned.  Overall I'm pretty happy the way it is but would rather he played smaller venues anyway.  Take your opera glasses!   ;)
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineTeemu

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 07:26:20 AM »
When you go to arena concerts these days you don't usually see very many cameramen around. This is because most of the cameras are part of the staging and remotely controlled. Since Mark doesn't run around the stage much he wouldn't really need other than the remotely controlled cameras (and maybe just one moving camera at the front of the stage for varying angles). There's really no excuse for not using screens.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 12:57:22 PM »
When you go to arena concerts these days you don't usually see very many cameramen around. This is because most of the cameras are part of the staging and remotely controlled. Since Mark doesn't run around the stage much he wouldn't really need other than the remotely controlled cameras (and maybe just one moving camera at the front of the stage for varying angles). There's really no excuse for not using screens.

You're quite right.  Maybe the cost?  Oh no, he's never done anything for the money!  :lol

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 01:25:09 PM »
The O2 in London had one screen last tour but I think that is part of the venue. It definitely helped
in that soulless tent.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 07:11:03 PM »

You're quite right.  Maybe the cost?  Oh no, he's never done anything for the money!  :lol

I remember being on Paul McCartney shows and each shows were like filmed like it's supposed to win an Oscar or something.
Lots of cameras, outstanding quality, enormous screens, but hey... Paul McCartney is Paul McCartney. So I'm used to MK's style.

OfflineDarling Pretty

• Lady writer
  • DS Fan since April 1987-Miami Vice episode S02E03
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2019, 07:43:02 AM »
True. Screens are not a MK Solo thing. With DS they were OK.
But Mark is playing in a lot of shitty big Multi Arenas where you need screens to see anything.
Like the O2s in Europe or Lanxess Arena Cologne.
I also would prefer to see him e.g. in a Beacon Theatre >Hall. Suites more his musically style but ticket demand is too high
Love will find a Way

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 01:26:32 PM »
True. Screens are not a MK Solo thing. With DS they were OK.
But Mark is playing in a lot of shitty big Multi Arenas where you need screens to see anything.
Like the O2s in Europe or Lanxess Arena Cologne.
I also would prefer to see him e.g. in a Beacon Theatre >Hall. Suites more his musically style but ticket demand is too high

Probably more an Ed Bicknell thing I think.  His first solo tour, and second to an extent, didn't really require screens but these days maybe if Ed was still on board...

Edit:  just watched an audience video from Mashantucket and there was screens there.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 07:30:03 PM by dmg »

OfflinePeter1981

• Camerado
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2019, 02:02:31 PM »
yes, playing those big halls does have the consequence of having to put up videoscreens; with the bigger size, the more tickets; the revenue also gives room for that.
Not doing that is just a bit of a cheapskate move, to be honest. Hope they will! It sure adds to the experience to be able to see an act more up close.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 10:26:44 AM »
yes, playing those big halls does have the consequence of having to put up videoscreens; with the bigger size, the more tickets; the revenue also gives room for that.
Not doing that is just a bit of a cheapskate move, to be honest. Hope they will! It sure adds to the experience to be able to see an act more up close.

He's been playing those big hangars the previous tours and never used screens, except on venues like the London O2 that had their own screens...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflinePeter1981

• Camerado
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2019, 11:20:36 AM »
exactly. Way overdue.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.029 seconds with 38 queries.