Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: DTRW - First Impressions  (Read 3864 times)

OfflineIan Lewis

• Camerado
    • Ian Lewis Photography
DTRW - First Impressions
« on: November 17, 2018, 07:31:33 PM »
I think any MK album needs a few listens but here are some initial thoughts after going through the deluxe album today.

- Trapper Man is a nice opening title, love that guitar in there!
- There are already some real gems in there.  I already liked Back on the Dancefloor and Good on you Son but My Bacon Roll, Drovers’ Road and One Song at a Time are instantly likeable for me.
- I don’t like to be negative but listening from start to finish the album does it’s own ‘Floating Away’ at this track.  I really struggle with the songs at this point.  It feels a lot of the quality tracks lead up to this and haven’t been well dispersed.
- I’ve always been a believer in MK getting stronger and stronger as a song writer and I don’t think this album is any exception.  There isn’t loads of guitar but when it is there it is subtle and well executed.  I think it’s easy to think MKs age and expect him to still be thrashing the guitar.  He has matured a lot in this respect.
- Really enjoy the female backing vocals.  A little disappointing Ruth Moody doesn’t make an appearance.  Unless I have missed that?

It’s early though, the album needs more listening 😊

OfflineNick14

• Camerado
Re: DTRW - First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 09:04:36 PM »
It's a really strong and enjoyable album Although, for me, all three additional tracks from the vinyl box would improve the album and if I am lucky enough to get digital versions of those then I will make up my own version of the album. I would rate the songs, at the moment, like this:

Trapper Man - 9
Back on the Dancefloor - 5
Nobody's Child - 8
Just a Boy Away From Home - 9
When You Leave - 8
Good on You Son - 7
My Bacon Roll - 9
Nobody Does That - 6
Drovers' Road - 9
One Song At A Time - 10
Floating Away - 9
Slow Learner - 8
Heavy Up - 8
Every Heart in the Room - 8
Rear View Mirror - 7
Matchstick Man - 10

Sky and Water - 9
Don't Suck Me In - 8
Pale Imitation - 8

My version would replace Dancefloor, Nobody Does This and GOYS with the three vinyl bonus songs.

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 09:06:16 PM »
I'm a little bit underwhelmed, to be honest.
The production is top-notch. It's a benchmark. The songs are a bit....., meh.

So far there are only two or three songs that I don't skip:
- Drovers' Road,
- When You Leave,
- Matchstick Man.

The heavy use of synths spoil a lot of songs for me. Soul Music belongs to Joe Brown et al., please don't get there. It feels like a Rhino dancing lambada. Please give him an acoustic guitar and a bit of studio time. There is no need for additional artificial sounds and 70ies disco revival.

I'm pissed (pardon my french), because I bought the expensive deluxe crap edition and got no working full download.
Presale wasn't better either.

Sorry to be a moaner, but it is just the way I feel right now. (Greetings to foma ;-)).

And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 10:35:05 PM »
Presumably you mean James Brown not Joe Brown?!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinenaif

• Camerado
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 10:49:53 PM »
Mark's albums need to be infused; But when we think that songs like pale imitation and don't suck me in this album were included, I think this album is the second best album of Mark's solo career.

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 08:59:19 AM »
Presumably you mean James Brown not Joe Brown?!

Oh, yes. Sorry for the confusion.  :hmm
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

OnlineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 08:41:07 PM »
I wonder if any texts are inspired by books.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2018, 09:57:53 PM »
INTRO
Before write about  'Down the Road Wherever' I feel rightful to write about what represents for me Mark Knopfler, his songs, his music, his guitarplaying, because I have listened to him since I was a kid and he has accompanied me so far.
He represents something of really special for me. 
The music is one of the pleasures of the life, I certainly listen to other monsters too as Bob Dylan and JJ Cale but I  have arrived them departing from Mark not the contrary. 
Other thing: Mark is not God. Mark Knopfler is an artist, human, with all of his merits and defects that every man can have, however,  he is a TRUE ARTIST,  that through his genius, his sensibility, his art, in 40 years he has succeeded and still manages to touch the heart and excite his vast audience of admirers all over the world.
Historically and objectively the first part of his  production, 1978-1985 are that more meaningful (SULTANS, OUATITW, R&J, TELEGRAPH, BIA, LOCAL HERO)  this led him to realize himself and to give himself great satisfaction, including those to play with Hank Marvin, Bob Dylan, Chet Atkins and The Everly Brothers.
Mark said a lot of times being among that very small percentage of people in the world to be really lucky: it is true, but it deserved it.
Dire Straits is the name of the band where Mark played and sang his songs, he was musically surrounded of very skilled people, but who of it was the soul (sorry for David, Pick and Alan  :disbelief) of that extraordinary band was undoubtedly Him. 
My opinion is that perhaps Mark already after the BIA tour had to begin the solo career, but this is another story. 
From 1987 to today, with the parenthesis of OES album & tour, he has continued his walk in the music and do what has wanted, in spite of what wanted record houses, manager and companions of band giving us pearls of extraordinary beauty: Y&YF, RUDIGER, METRO,STP, TRPD,PIPER, SUBMARIN and many many others. 
A thing that I have very musically desired  has been that of one collaboration of him with JJ Cale and the desire to have the recording of the concert where they have played together a long time ago in San Francisco. So....

DOWN THE ROAD WHEREVER
There are songs that enter right to the heart. 

One Song At a Time: that is a masterpiece under all the points of view, writing, production, guitarplaying, music and sung, it is under the eyes of everybody. 
What makes it so special is that melancholy that you feel among the lines, that it moves you and it drags yourself in that final instrumental that you would like never ends. 

Nobody's Child: Turgid and evocative. That sad voice, the slow rhythm and then that 'solo', the words cannot describe as much raw beauty. 

Trapper Man: don't I succeed in not listening to it 3-4 times following, every time, do I wonder me Why? Do I have to also listen to the others?  I answer me: 'I can't stop, I like it too much.'.

Just a Boy Away From Home: when Mark takes the guitar to have a good time, for me is Christmas,  no one is like him, there is only to enjoy it.

Back On The Dance Floor:  apart that wind to the beginning (they could invent something  better), the song is splendid, and  Glenn Worf is a monster to Grammy, not only for this song obviously it is one among the best musicians, that Mark has had beside. 

Drovers' Road: A Magic Diamond. When Mark speaks of the fact that in solo  he feels  many liberty in the use of other tools for painting his songs, Drovers is the example of a good result of it. 

Don't suck me in: I adore it. Mark after 40 years from Dire Straits. It belongs to those songs type.. 'I can still do it  and if I don't do often it, is because I don't want, not because I don't know how to do it anymore in high level'.
The fire still burns

Sky and Water: It moves me. Thanks Mark. God bless you my friend.

Matchstickman:  Mark with his guitar around the world, to tell places and characters sometimes miserable sometimes worthy of praise.

Others: 

When You Leave: A happy man is an in love man, and that for Kitty Aldridge, for him is the love that changed his life. Great song that makes part of that seam of songs that departs from Darling Pretty up to Long Cool Girl. I am happy for him. 

Bacon Roll: maybe musically is nothing too special but thing that can not be said for the solo.
If a stratocaster could be interviewed, to talk to her, is certain that it would tell you 'they have been so many the guitarists that have played me, with which I have had a good time, but from that guy from Newcastle, I have felt beloved, it is for this that what you feel is so special.... between me and him only love'.

…...the story continues friends  :wave
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 10:01:45 PM by straitsway75 »

OnlineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2018, 10:22:02 PM »
Very nice written straitsway75:)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2018, 10:30:26 PM »

Offlinejerryb

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 12:07:47 AM »
My opinion.The deluxe cd is almost 80 minutes long.That's just way too long. Keep it at 40 minutes give or take a few minutes.I've listened to DTRF  several times. Mediocre is the only word I have. The sound quality isn't as good as previous albums.Especially the vocals which are too sibilant at times.

hunter

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2018, 11:50:28 PM »
So, after a little "vacation" from AMIT, I've had plenty of time to listen to DTRW. First off, I agree with jerryb that it's a long album, and that's why I chose the standard CD, not the deluxe version. Maybe that's why I feel it doesn't quite work for me as an album, but rather as a collection of songs. There are no tracks I feel are bad or particularly out of place, but it was hard for me to sit through the entire album and doing nothing else. I could have omitted Good On You Son, My Bacon Roll, Just A Boy Away From Home and Slow Learner, I think. That said, as background music, or playing the album on headphones while out walking, or in the car, it's great.

I have to admit that when it comes to heavier use of synths and "effects", which I thought was very cool, the novelty has worn off quite a bit. I appreciate that Mark is willing to try new things, though. And I'm very pleased with the overall upbeat feeling.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.033 seconds with 40 queries.