Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: My drum review of the "Down The Road Wherever" Cd  (Read 9858 times)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Re: My drum review of the "Down The Road Wherever" Cd
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2018, 06:43:46 PM »
Pottel means Danny i think? Or did Ian also played with Gilmour?
Looked for the marooned performance

sent from my Samsung Galaxy 9+ via tapatalk

sent from my Samsung Galaxy 9+ via tapatalk

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2018, 06:49:20 PM »
Funny that I'm also not a big fan of Ian's work. I thought Danny's playing was too simple and boring, but somehow Ianto's work made me love Danny's drumming a million times more. That's what a simple comparison can make... I think Danny "plays" the song, almost like Ringo Starr. He's not the greatest drummer in the world, but he puts all his soul in the music. But Ianto... Is the best drummer in the world, and I don't like it.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2018, 07:42:44 PM »
Great thread. That said, I'm not a drummer and I thought the drums were good. :)

I second that. Ian’s drumming serves Mark’s songs perfectly. If you consider that even the guitar isn’t that prominent on this album it sounds surprising to me that one would expect it to have complex drumming - or even blame Ian for that.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflineTommyJ88

• Local Hero
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2018, 08:14:19 PM »
Great thread. That said, I'm not a drummer and I thought the drums were good. :)

Same here. Also, I suspect anyone with criticisms of the drumming on this record should aim their comments at MK, not Ian Thomas, as this is almost certainly the way Mark (and Guy) wanted the drums to sound. Ian Thomas has played with everyone from Clapton to McCartney, Sting to Tom Jones, and his style varies depending on what's required for whatever song he's playing. I have a rather hazy memory of MK once saying that a drummer had to be pretty good to be better than no drummer at all (was this at Boothbay?) so I would'nt be surprised if the restrained, unflashy drumming turned out to be the choice of Mark himself.

Offlineijnijn

• Guitar George
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2018, 08:54:22 PM »

Same here. Also, I suspect anyone with criticisms of the drumming on this record should aim their comments at MK, not Ian Thomas, as this is almost certainly the way Mark (and Guy) wanted the drums to sound.

It could be like that, but again there's a proverb that your band is as good as good is your drummer. Ian is great but his playing on new MK album is too simple and too conservative. Someone told before that the drums are only a background. To some extent it's true (Slow Learner, When You Leave) but in the rest of the songs the drums are pretty in front in the mix. Where's the consequence? Hope Ian will get unblocked on forthcoming tour and the next record :) 

OfflineJasper90

• Camerado
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2018, 08:36:03 PM »
Everybody's opinion ofcourse  :).

But I disagree that what Ian does is boring or not good. I'm an drummer as well for 18 years and I love what Ian does, no I'm not amazed by it, but he does it all good. And there is also an difference between live and a studio album. Usually on the album "live concert playing" is not working for the songs, thats why I also think it sounds to some people maybe boring. Live I really like Ian Thomas a lot, I have to say.

And how Ijnijn is describing it, sounds you would love to hear a lot of fills and drum changes. But then I think the albums from Mark Knopfler AND Dire Straits are drumwise not your thing. I mean after Pick Withers, all the drummers hardly did any fills or special stuff on the studio albums as what you described as "what should have been".
I think Chad Cromwell did some (Metroland, What have got to do) cool stuff. But also not so much, and thats what I think, Mark wants. Where I'm fully okey with, on the albums. Chad Cromwell is also the first drummer where it got my attention that this guy is just a metronome, like he would NEVER of his live fall out of his tempo ;D, pretty cool. Live he did some cool stuff as well. But thats what I think, Mark really wants and is looking for  :think

Also on the On Every Street album, he even had a few drummers just to try out wich one he would like the best for the songs. Kind of a battle without them knowing  ::). And if you listen to the album now, you hardly notice it, that that was SO important. I mean yeah, maybe in Calling Elvis, but thats kind of it. And Yeah the sound of the drums, thats important and always have been in Marks career. I also love in general the drum sound in Marks music, except for Brothers in Arms, sorry I LOVE the album but I hate 80s drums  :lol. But as example, listen to the snare drum of Danny Cummings in Cleaning my gun, love that sound :clap
And usually when people think drums is more in the background, that is for sure the mix and usualy not the drummer.

But ofcourse this is my opinion, I don't mean it offending Ijnijn :thumbsup
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 08:43:07 PM by Jasper90 »
MK Down the Road Wherever tour :
22.05.2019 Royal Albert Hall London, UK
22.06.2019 Sportpaleis Antwerpen, Belgium
23.06.2019 Ziggo Dome Amsterdam, Netherlands
03.07.2019 St. Peter at Sunset Kelzenholz, Switzerland

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2018, 12:16:17 AM »
Funny to bring up BIA - one of my fave things is to focus on the drums during Your Latest Trick, truly amazing. Would love to have heard the recordings Terry did for comparison - another box-set for the future?
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

OfflineJasper90

• Camerado
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2018, 09:28:31 AM »
Funny to bring up BIA - one of my fave things is to focus on the drums during Your Latest Trick, truly amazing. Would love to have heard the recordings Terry did for comparison - another box-set for the future?

Yeah, for sure true :). I ment the 80s drums sound only, not the drumming itself. That is pretty good :)

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2018, 10:02:38 AM »
Ian did some great stuff on Mark's music since he is the drummer. Laughs and jokes, skydiver (he connected both songs live). Corned beef city intro live also. Can't remember Danny did such things live.

So i like Ian's drumming very much. He add something extra to Mark's music.
Proud member of the AMIT crew

hunter

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2018, 10:12:59 AM »
To me it's a little odd that Mark goes for conservative drums, but busy bass. I know John Illsley isn't the greatest musician, but his style of playing complements Mark really well. It occurred to me that Mark's current preferences are opposite of the early DS style with simple bass and exotic (but never out place) drumming.

Speaking of bass - does anyone else find that DTRW is a bit low in bass?

OfflineJasper90

• Camerado
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2018, 12:33:43 PM »
Ian did some great stuff on Mark's music since he is the drummer. Laughs and jokes, skydiver (he connected both songs live). Corned beef city intro live also. Can't remember Danny did such things live.

+1  :thumbsup. Me too, Danny I still liked in the 2005 tour as well, but after that he made the songs even live a very static with his drumming. He is now good at his place as a percussionist :). And I have a feeling that Mark really needs a drummer like Ian to get the energy. I also think that Ian is great, and live even more, he really keeps it interesting and cool as well ;D. The intro and drumsolo (a little one then :lol) he  did nice, I also loved how he developed Speedway at Nazareth, especially in the US tour 2015 8).

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2018, 12:37:31 PM »

+1  :thumbsup. Me too, Danny I still liked in the 2005 tour as well, but after that he made the songs even live a very static with his drumming. He is now good at his place as a percussionist :). And I have a feeling that Mark really needs a drummer like Ian to get the energy. I also think that Ian is great, and live even more, he really keeps it interesting and cool as well ;D. The intro and drumsolo (a little one then :lol) he  did nice, I also loved how he developed Speedway at Nazareth, especially in the US tour 2015 8).

I'm with you, guys.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 40 queries.