Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark on HARDtalk  (Read 18937 times)

OfflineRolleyway Man

• Camerado
    • Mike’s Musical Musings
Mark on HARDtalk
« on: November 21, 2018, 02:06:25 AM »
Just seen on Paul Crockford’s Instagram feed that Mark will be appearing on HARDtalk at some point. This is going to be interesting! HARDtalk is a BBC News programme and the conversations, as the title suggests, often get quite in-depth. Quite an unusual type of programme to see Mark appearing on. Looking forward to hearing what he has to say.

Offlineallen

• A Mark in Time
  • Founder
  • Romeo
  • La KnopflerTK
    • A Mark in Time
Re: Mark on HARDtalk
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 02:20:37 AM »
Thanks for the news.  Will it be possible for a live song on the talk show?
My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues.

OfflineTommyJ88

• Local Hero
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 05:47:41 AM »
Well, I’ve never seen a musical performance on HARDtalk, it’s not that kind of show. It’s possible, of course, but I wouldn’t expect it (to be honest, I’d be surprised to even hear him play snippets on an acoustic - the show has a very fixed format). Should be really interesting, nevertheless.

For those wondering, it’s broadcast on radio and TV (and it’s usually repeated numerous times on the BBC News channel). Of all the interviews he’s doing this time, this one definitely sounds the most promising - one not to miss!

Thanks for the heads-up, Rolleyway Man!

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 06:28:41 AM »
Just seen on Paul Crockford’s Instagram feed that Mark will be appearing on HARDtalk at some point. This is going to be interesting! HARDtalk is a BBC News programme and the conversations, as the title suggests, often get quite in-depth. Quite an unusual type of programme to see Mark appearing on. Looking forward to hearing what he has to say.

Lol I bet it would be a really HARD talk for the presenter, not for the Mark :lol :lol :lol

hunter

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 09:11:29 AM »
The clue is to ask questions that don't allow Mark to go to his default answers. The Mark Lawson interview comes to mind - brilliant. I seem to remember that Lawson, instead of asking about things that everyone already knows, would mention those things and ask Mark to elaborate.

Agree that HARDtalk is a rather unusual format for Mark, but this could be great. As opposed to those happy-clappy ultra-light morning shows.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 01:12:14 PM »
Mark appearing on a BBC "news" programme?  Something I'll be giving a miss.   :disbelief
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineRolleyway Man

• Camerado
    • Mike’s Musical Musings
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 02:44:15 PM »
Mark appearing on a BBC "news" programme?  Something I'll be giving a miss.   :disbelief

Why?

Offlinerockaway

• Local Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 03:20:22 PM »
The clue is to ask questions that don't allow Mark to go to his default answers. The Mark Lawson interview comes to mind - brilliant. I seem to remember that Lawson, instead of asking about things that everyone already knows, would mention those things and ask Mark to elaborate.

Agree that HARDtalk is a rather unusual format for Mark, but this could be great. As opposed to those happy-clappy ultra-light morning shows.

I keep seeing the Mark Lawson interview referenced as wonderful. Does anyone happen to know where I can find it? It isn't on the website and it won't play on youtube either it seems (copyright). I'd really appreciate if anyone can let me know
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 12:23:12 AM by rockaway »

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 03:26:40 PM »

Why?

1.  BBC bias.
2.  Don't want to be put off Mark.
3.  Who wants to listen to a multi-millionaire put the world to rights?  What does he know about day-to-day living in the real world?
4.  No live music!!!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 11:44:20 PM »

It'll be most interesting I would of thought....
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2018, 12:40:14 PM »

It's certainly different for him!  He appears to be opening up these days instead of being the more private individual he always was.  I'm not quite sure what to make of it.  Grumpy old man syndrome?   :think

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2018, 04:45:06 PM »

It's certainly different for him!  He appears to be opening up these days instead of being the more private individual he always was.  I'm not quite sure what to make of it.  Grumpy old man syndrome?   :think
unlike your previous statement, one i can very much agree with
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

hunter

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2018, 06:32:23 AM »
Given the format of the show, I wonder what they will discuss. Surely it can't be just a regular interview. Or maybe the interviewer will press Mark on details such as what the Fender catalog really, really smelled like, or how many watts the family radio had. "Let's settle this once and for all."

OfflineTommyJ88

• Local Hero
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2018, 09:10:54 AM »
“So Mark, what are your thoughts on the recent surge towards populism in the West?”

39 seconds later…

“…that radio gave me one and a half watts of seething power…”

Joking aside, the reason I think this interview could be more interesting than most is that it will almost certainly not be the same as all the others (although he may find a way to fix that). Very much looking forward to this one.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2018, 09:57:57 AM »
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 40 queries.