Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: DTRW - One week in....  (Read 23748 times)

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
DTRW - One week in....
« on: November 25, 2018, 10:30:28 AM »
So with just over a week now gone by since the official release of DTRW, I have to say personally I just cannot put this album down! My MK Strat has come out of its case for some serious playing!!
Remarkably there are still no 'skippers' for me.
I think it just has to be the class musicianship alongside the 'wordsmith' lyrics that make this album soooo very good....
OSAAT - Is still my Goosebump, make the hair on the back of my neck stand up song!

How's everyone else faring?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 11:39:33 AM by Knopflerfan »
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Re: DTRW - One week in....
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 10:46:35 AM »
I'm faring quite well, thank you!  :)    I'm enjoying the album without skipping anything, although the solo on Just a Boy still grates on me in a similar way that it did on Gator Blood!    I'm still finding Slow Learner incredibly - slow, but I know that will get better over time.   Apart from those two gripes I think it's a great album and MK's voice is so good that I could listen to him forever!   :P

My favourite song now is "When You Leave"  - I think it's possibly the best song on the album, surprising really, because there isn't a guitar solo at all!    Of course "Drovers' Road" is wonderful too!   :)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 10:57:36 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 10:50:34 AM »
Yes I agree. DTRW is another Great Album with a lot of tracks very amazing. OSAAT is also for me a Number One in all MK' s discography.
All the rest, chart, reviews, sure that I read all, good or not, but is not really important for me.
This is time, after so much waiting, to enjoy with this new album of my favourite, the Best Musician of all time, Mr Mark Knopfler  :clap

OfflineMarkus

• Camerado
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 10:56:02 AM »
I really like this album. Great music and lyrics and excellent sound quality.
Markus

MK DTRW Tour : Germany - Mannheim - SAP Arena - 2019-Jul-06

Offlineallen

• A Mark in Time
  • Founder
  • Romeo
  • La KnopflerTK
    • A Mark in Time
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 10:56:48 AM »
I love all 19 new songs, and the two cover songs he did days ago for BBC radio are great, as well.  I made my right choice to have bought three concert tickets in 2019 to see him live !!!
My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2018, 10:58:24 AM »
I love all 19 new songs, and the two cover songs he did days ago for BBC radio are great, as well.  I made my right choice to have bought three concert tickets in 2019 to see him live !!!

I hope to meet you in Verona, allen!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineallen

• A Mark in Time
  • Founder
  • Romeo
  • La KnopflerTK
    • A Mark in Time
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2018, 11:03:06 AM »

I hope to meet you in Verona, allen!   :)

Thanks, we will meet, fingers crossed.  Need to buy a litho and a tour programme, as well.   And a T-shirt, and some pins, and ...
My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2018, 11:33:57 AM »
Of course "Drovers' Road" is wonderful too!   :)

Drovers Road is just amazing, I picture the Scottish Highlands and also the fabulous painting of the Drovers I found when the opening few notes are sounding... Yes, I'm with you now on JAB...

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2018, 11:35:06 AM »
Yes I agree. DTRW is another Great Album with a lot of tracks very amazing. OSAAT is also for me a Number One in all MK' s discography.
All the rest, chart, reviews, sure that I read all, good or not, but is not really important for me.
This is time, after so much waiting, to enjoy with this new album of my favourite, the Best Musician of all time, Mr Mark Knopfler  :clap

:clap :wave

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2018, 11:49:00 AM »

:clap :wave
:thumbsup

Offlinevr46mk

• Lady writer
  • Early Bird
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2018, 12:03:45 PM »
Agree... This is a good album, I find it way better than Tracker..

Is it only me who thinks of the tour EVERY DAY?! I can't wait anymore, I need 2019  :lol

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2018, 12:24:06 PM »
+1000 :)
OSAAT is a masterpiece, the best of Border Reiver rythm and Piper to the End emotion blended together.
When you leave is amazing despite the lack of guitar.
Very few skippers for me as well. Yes Just a Boy is not my thing, Nobody does that has some dated sound effects, and every heart... is a bit cheesy, but that's about it. The is a great album, I don't understand the negative reviews...

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2018, 12:24:25 PM »
Really enjoying it here too.  I've got all of them on my iTunes and listen on headphones as I'm on my computer to you 'orrible lot!  ;)

A few skippers now though because I start getting really strict at this point, but there are only a few I really don't like.  I skip these:

Just a boy (can't get over how Mark thinks he can get away with this inferior copy of JD)
When you leave (classy but boring)
Floating away (really can't get into this)
Slow learner (Zzz...)
Heavy up (it's not for me)
Rear view mirror (it's quirkiness has worn thin)

So when I take these ones out and add the fab bonus tracks I still have a great album there. 

OSAAT is one of the all-time greats though, is it not?
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2018, 12:41:25 PM »
Well one week later and I listened to the opening track, two singles and presumably the main star of the album (One Song At A Time) only once. Nothing's changed dramatically, I still think it's not the best collection of songs AND arrangements Mark would've put out at this moment (don't even start me talking about the cover picture).

I do enjoy tracks 3, 4, 5, track 7 (Bacon Roll) more than others, tracks 9, 11, 12 and Every Heart In The Room and Matchstick Man. More or less half of the album. Some tracks like Rear View Mirror is something I would listen in the background while doing stuff. Yeah...

It's a good result in my book, because from the artists of older generation usually you'd be lucky to like 2 songs from the new album.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2018, 01:22:04 PM »
Really enjoying it here too.  I've got all of them on my iTunes and listen on headphones as I'm on my computer to you 'orrible lot!  ;)

A few skippers now though because I start getting really strict at this point, but there are only a few I really don't like.  I skip these:

Just a boy (can't get over how Mark thinks he can get away with this inferior copy of JD)
When you leave (classy but boring)
Floating away (really can't get into this)
Slow learner (Zzz...)
Heavy up (it's not for me)
Rear view mirror (it's quirkiness has worn thin)

So when I take these ones out and add the fab bonus tracks I still have a great album there. 

OSAAT is one of the all-time greats though, is it not?

Oh dear, skippers already for you then chap... I love the way there is a good variety of songs rather than one genre. Love the way the album plays in that there are a few brighter, melodic and also quieter, reflective songs. Agree wholeheartedly that OSAAT is a masterpiece and will become an all time great.... Just need to hear this fab song live now!!!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 38 queries.