Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: DTRW - One week in....  (Read 23709 times)

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Re: DTRW - One week in....
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2018, 01:24:05 PM »
Yes I agree. DTRW is another Great Album with a lot of tracks very amazing. OSAAT is also for me a Number One in all MK' s discography.
All the rest, chart, reviews, sure that I read all, good or not, but is not really important for me.
This is time, after so much waiting, to enjoy with this new album of my favourite, the Best Musician of all time, Mr Mark Knopfler  :clap
+1000 :)
OSAAT is a masterpiece, the best of Border Reiver rythm and Piper to the End emotion blended together.

Fabulous words!!  :clap :thumbsup
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2018, 01:25:30 PM »
Agree... This is a good album, I find it way better than Tracker..

Is it only me who thinks of the tour EVERY DAY?! I can't wait anymore, I need 2019  :lol

No, you are most definitely not the only one!!!  :wave
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2018, 02:12:38 PM »
Well one week later and I listened to the opening track, two singles and presumably the main star of the album (One Song At A Time) only once. Nothing's changed dramatically, I still think it's not the best collection of songs AND arrangements Mark would've put out at this moment (don't even start me talking about the cover picture).

I do enjoy tracks 3, 4, 5, track 7 (Bacon Roll) more than others, tracks 9, 11, 12 and Every Heart In The Room and Matchstick Man. More or less half of the album. Some tracks like Rear View Mirror is something I would listen in the background while doing stuff. Yeah...

It's a good result in my book, because from the artists of older generation usually you'd be lucky to like 2 songs from the new album.

Bacon Roll is maybe the only original song in the album, all the rest is recycled stuff in a brilliant way
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

OfflineMarkus

• Camerado
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2018, 02:19:56 PM »

Bacon Roll is maybe the only original song in the album, all the rest is recycled stuff in a brilliant way
I don't think so.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 10:22:56 AM by Markus »
Markus

MK DTRW Tour : Germany - Mannheim - SAP Arena - 2019-Jul-06

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2018, 02:23:15 PM »
Well one week later and I listened to the opening track, two singles and presumably the main star of the album (One Song At A Time) only once. Nothing's changed dramatically, I still think it's not the best collection of songs AND arrangements Mark would've put out at this moment (don't even start me talking about the cover picture).

I do enjoy tracks 3, 4, 5, track 7 (Bacon Roll) more than others, tracks 9, 11, 12 and Every Heart In The Room and Matchstick Man. More or less half of the album. Some tracks like Rear View Mirror is something I would listen in the background while doing stuff. Yeah...

It's a good result in my book, because from the artists of older generation usually you'd be lucky to like 2 songs from the new album.

It's easy to compare songs to each other if you seek to do so.  Just A Boy is an obvious rip-off mind you.  Just enjoy them in their own right.  :)
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2018, 02:35:06 PM »

It's easy to compare songs to each other if you seek to do so.  Just A Boy is an obvious rip-off mind you.  Just enjoy them in their own right.  :)

I think the album is pretty good overall, 2nd tier/row as I wrote in another thread, there are several good songs but at the same time they are mostly recycled stuff and after only 1 week I basically already know the album perfectly, there's nothing new to discover
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2018, 05:32:28 PM »
Really enjoying it here too.  I've got all of them on my iTunes and listen on headphones as I'm on my computer to you 'orrible lot!  ;)

A few skippers now though because I start getting really strict at this point, but there are only a few I really don't like.  I skip these:

Just a boy (can't get over how Mark thinks he can get away with this inferior copy of JD)
When you leave (classy but boring)
Floating away (really can't get into this)
Slow learner (Zzz...)
Heavy up (it's not for me)
Rear view mirror (it's quirkiness has worn thin)

So when I take these ones out and add the fab bonus tracks I still have a great album there. 

OSAAT is one of the all-time greats though, is it not?

Oh dear, skippers already for you then chap... I love the way there is a good variety of songs rather than one genre. Love the way the album plays in that there are a few brighter, melodic and also quieter, reflective songs. Agree wholeheartedly that OSAAT is a masterpiece and will become an all time great.... Just need to hear this fab song live now!!!
Of course it would be nonsense if OSAAT was not played live, but... Remember that we are talking about the man who couldn't be bothered to play Silvertown Blues, The ragipieker's dream, Punish the Monkey, So far from the Clyde, Long Cool Girl and Basil live, and who only played 5.15am and Yon Two Crowd a couple of times ! So I would not bet my life on it...:/

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2018, 05:38:18 PM »
the live setlist needs a huge revamp

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2018, 05:53:31 AM »
So with just over a week now gone by since the official release of DTRW, I have to say personally I just cannot put this album down! My MK Strat has come out of its case for some serious playing!!

I'm with you in that it has inspired me to want to pluck a string again. This record (for me) is getting a lot more play than Tracker ever did, or does. In my own multiverse, I'd delete GOYS and BR and add ALL the bonus songs for the best record since BIA or (my own version of) Privateering.

There are a lot of threads right now, best 5 this, best album that; for consistency (no skippers) I really love Shangri La, Kill to Get Crimson, Privateering and this new one. Happy problems to debate indeed :)
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

OfflineStiglar

• Local Hero
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2018, 10:05:46 AM »
I was quite a big fan of tracker, I much preferred it to privateering and get lucky,

I think I like DTRW equally as much as tracker, I love songwriting on the album, there's only a couple of tunes on there that I see myself skipping on occasion. I actually really like BOTDF , I think i'm in the minority there! haha! There's some production choices on the album that make me scratch my head a bit, but overall I think it's a very very strong album. I've come to really enjoy My Bacon Roll, I love the cryptic lyrics and just seems quintessential MK to me,

Very excited about the tour, I think adding the brass is interesting and I have a theory/suspicion there's going to be some extended jams that rely on the trumpet/sax a bit. Perhaps to potentially replace something like TR that relies on the guitar heavily for the big outro.... Just a theory of course. I'm really looking forward to them shaking up the setlist a bit.

Offlineskydiver

• Camerado
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2018, 10:44:46 AM »
I was quite a big fan of tracker, I much preferred it to privateering and get lucky,

I think I like DTRW equally as much as tracker, I love songwriting on the album, there's only a couple of tunes on there that I see myself skipping on occasion. I actually really like BOTDF , I think i'm in the minority there! haha! There's some production choices on the album that make me scratch my head a bit, but overall I think it's a very very strong album. I've come to really enjoy My Bacon Roll, I love the cryptic lyrics and just seems quintessential MK to me,

Very excited about the tour, I think adding the brass is interesting and I have a theory/suspicion there's going to be some extended jams that rely on the trumpet/sax a bit. Perhaps to potentially replace something like TR that relies on the guitar heavily for the big outro.... Just a theory of course. I'm really looking forward to them shaking up the setlist a bit.

You have summed up my thoughts perfectly!

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2018, 11:03:35 AM »
I love all 19 new songs, and the two cover songs he did days ago for BBC radio are great, as well.  I made my right choice to have bought three concert tickets in 2019 to see him live !!!

I hope to meet you in Verona, allen!   :)

Thanks, we will meet, fingers crossed.  Need to buy a litho and a tour programme, as well.   And a T-shirt, and some pins, and ...

Good luck with that. Verona is the last show in Europe and usually most of those items are sold out some weeks before. It happened to me in Barcelona last year, I had to buy something for a friend but I couldn't as many items of merchandise were already sold out :(
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineallen

• A Mark in Time
  • Founder
  • Romeo
  • La KnopflerTK
    • A Mark in Time
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2018, 12:01:37 PM »
I love all 19 new songs, and the two cover songs he did days ago for BBC radio are great, as well.  I made my right choice to have bought three concert tickets in 2019 to see him live !!!

I hope to meet you in Verona, allen!   :)

Thanks, we will meet, fingers crossed.  Need to buy a litho and a tour programme, as well.   And a T-shirt, and some pins, and ...

Good luck with that. Verona is the last show in Europe and usually most of those items are sold out some weeks before. It happened to me in Barcelona last year, I had to buy something for a friend but I couldn't as many items of merchandise were already sold out :(

Ah, in that case, I have to ask friends to help me out with this.  Thanks for the info.
My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2018, 10:07:26 AM »
After listening to the album for two weeks, I have now deleted two tracks - Just a Boy and Heavy Up and added the three bonus tracks.  I now have almost the perfect MK album and it flows much better with Nobody's Child now followed by When You Leave and not interrupted by Just a Boy!    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineMarkus

• Camerado
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2018, 10:33:59 AM »
Down The Road Wherever is a masterpiece!

Beautiful compositions, vocals and guitar by Mark, brilliant band musicians, excellent sound, perfectly arranged and produced.

I listen to the album every day and except for "Nobody Does That", they are all great songs.
Markus

MK DTRW Tour : Germany - Mannheim - SAP Arena - 2019-Jul-06

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 36 queries.