Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Live downloads  (Read 8043 times)

OfflineLadywriterontv

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Live downloads
« on: October 29, 2019, 02:08:26 AM »
Looking for advice on purchasing a live download from one of the shows in Europe. Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Re: Live downloads
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 09:17:51 AM »
I can only recommend the whole lot of downloads but here is the ongoing tour 'download' discussion  thread....
https://www.amarkintime.org/forum/index.php?topic=6399.0
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinevr46mk

• Lady writer
  • Early Bird
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 07:49:19 AM »
MSG is a must for you to have.
This is always going to be personal with different opinions, but I really like the Toronto recording, Mark in really good mood + BIA.

But, different people will recommend different ones

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 12:28:48 PM »
This is always going to be personal with different opinions, but I really like the Toronto recording, Mark in really good mood + BIA.

I'd agree that Toronto is a good show plus BIA makes it worth going for, however MSG is just an average show overall.  The original question was for a European show though!  :)
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 12:46:53 PM »
Pamplona and Leeds.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 01:21:34 PM »

I'd agree that Toronto is a good show plus BIA makes it worth going for, however MSG is just an average show overall.  The original question was for a European show though!  :)

I was at MSG but not an average show at all. Very good show, very good mood. And Wherever I go with Bonnie Raitt is a real special one.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 01:24:03 PM »
It's a different sensation when you are there and when you just listen the recordings...

I wasn't at Pamplona nor Leeds, but I listened to many recordings. These two are outstanding.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2019, 01:30:47 PM »
I  enjoyed both Leeds and Verona - it's difficult to say which I like best.  Both recordings are excellent.   Verona has the better R&J of the two and Leeds has Piper to the End.  :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2019, 04:59:18 PM »
I  enjoyed both Leeds and Verona - it's difficult to say which I like best.  Both recordings are excellent.   Verona has the better R&J of the two and Leeds has Piper to the End.  :)

I don't think Mark played R&J very well at all in Verona, which is a real pity considering the location.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2019, 07:16:50 PM »

I don't think Mark played R&J very well at all in Verona, which is a real pity considering the location.

OK, but I disagree.  I love it and hearing it played live in Verona was fantastic, in fact I was in seventh heaven hearing it being played so beautifully!   :)

So, I have just listened to it again for the zillionth time, wondering what you found not to your taste?   Was it the end solo, perhaps?  Well, to my ears it sounded one of the best I have heard on this tour, along with Milan, which is also excellent! 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 08:09:40 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2019, 08:19:46 PM »

OK, but I disagree.  I love it and hearing it played live in Verona was fantastic, in fact I was in seventh heaven hearing it being played so beautifully!   :)

So, I have just listened to it again for the zillionth time, wondering what you found not to your taste?   Was it the end solo, perhaps?  Well, to my ears it sounded one of the best I have heard on this tour, along with Milan, which is also excellent!

Although the final solo was by no means perfect (and none were great this year), it was his playing of the main tune that was poor, especially at the start where you just have to nail it, and it sounded terrible.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 08:24:36 PM by dmg »

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2019, 08:34:27 PM »

Although the final solo was by no means perfect (and none were great this year), it was his playing of the main tune that was poor, especially at the start where you just have to nail it, and it sounded terrible.

Listening again as I type and there is nothing about the main tune that I find terrible, even at the start.   Maybe I have cloth ears, but I am very happy indeed with this version of R&J, including the solo, which I can't fault.   Sorry, dmg!   ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2019, 12:07:28 PM »

Listening again as I type and there is nothing about the main tune that I find terrible, even at the start.   Maybe I have cloth ears, but I am very happy indeed with this version of R&J, including the solo, which I can't fault.   Sorry, dmg!   ;)

The bit a couple of seconds before the vocals start.  He misses a few notes, followed by sharply picking one louder than intended.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2019, 12:10:59 PM »

The bit a couple of seconds before the vocals start.  He misses a few notes, followed by sharply picking one louder than intended.

Yes, I did notice the one sharpish note, but no missed ones and it didn't spoil my enjoyment of the song, but it's still my favourite compared with the many others I have heard.   It's just nit-picking really.   :)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 04:16:57 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 37 queries.