Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Suggestion: How about making a setlist prediction game for the tour?  (Read 28578 times)

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
Re: Suggestion: How about making a setlist prediction game for the tour?
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2019, 07:17:54 PM »
setlist needs a major revamp to be interesting, way too 'copy and paste' the last tours
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2019, 09:03:39 PM »
So after some quick thoughts I came up with one setlist that should get a few songs in the right order.

My guess for the setlist:

1. Trapper man
2. Corned beef city
3. Privateering
4. Back on the dance floor.
5. Father and son / HFB
6. Slow Learner
7. One Song At A Time
8. Romeo and Juliet
9. Sultans of swing
10. Band Intro
11. Postcards From Paraguay
12. Speedway At Nazareth
13. Marbletown
14. So far away
15. Matchstick Man
16. Piper To The End

Play these and I'll be very happy  :D

God that would be a horrible set list.... way too much overplayed songs. The set needs a major refreshment
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2019, 11:44:30 AM »
one song at a time my favourite, would love band introductions around it , think it could work

Giving it more thought today, and yes I believe it could indeed work very well..... :clap

I think it could waste the best song personally.  I don't mind it before Postcards because that's a sleeper anyway but not One Song pleeeease!  I don't see it, especially as it's a new song and they'll have to concentrate to play it anyway. 

It could easily be done during Marbletown when you think about it but will probably be kept for Postcards.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2019, 11:46:29 AM »
setlist needs a major revamp to be interesting, way too 'copy and paste' the last tours

Isn't that what happens though?  And with the work on the musical ongoing they aren't exactly pressing on with rehearsals for the tour either, so expect autopilot yet again.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2019, 03:30:34 PM »

Isn't that what happens though?  And with the work on the musical ongoing they aren't exactly pressing on with rehearsals for the tour either, so expect autopilot yet again.

Whatever work is needed to be done in the musical will be end before March 19th which is the first representation. I don't know how a.musical works but my guess is that they will attend the first week just to check if everything works fine and if not, what to change and check if the changes work. I guess anything would be written in stone at the end of march, early April.

The first concert is April 25th if I recall well. 25 days of rehearsals are far too much than they really need to play nowadays Mk music. A DS tour would need some months but, MK music with session musicians instead of band members, that's what nowadays MK musicians are, sessions musicians, that would not take that much no matter if all the set is new.

The last tour in which they shaked the set was the Ktgc tour. Just check the period of rehearsals in Guy's forum and you'll discover that it was the same than usual.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2019, 03:33:44 PM »
Some of the songs I am expecting/hoping to be played, especially because there is a brass section, are:

In no particular order:

Trapper Man
Nobody Does That   *
Back On The Dancefloor
When You Leave    *
One Song At a Time
Heavy Up     *
Matchstick Man
Your Latest Trick   *
Coyote    *
Going Home  *
Basil
Speedway At Nazareth
Romeo & Juliet  *
Telegraph Road
Corned Beef City
Sultans of Swing
What It Is
Before Gas & TV/Yon Two Crows/Drovers' Road  -   One of these three

* = Songs with brass instruments.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 09:27:50 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2019, 03:35:42 PM »
Some of the songs I am expecting/hoping to be played, especially because there is a brass section, are:

Trapper Man
Nobody Does That   *
Back On The Dancefloor
When You Leave    *
One Song At a Time
Heavy Up     *
Matchstick Man
Your Latest Trick   *
Coyote    *
Going Home  *
Basil
Speedway At Nazareth
Romeo & Juliet  *
Telegraph Road
Corned Beef City
Sultans of Swing
What It Is

In no particular order

* = Songs with brass instruments.

That would be a brilliant setlist. Let's send this one to MK!
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2019, 03:40:27 PM »
I've added a couple more!    ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2019, 07:57:34 PM »

Whatever work is needed to be done in the musical will be end before March 19th which is the first representation. I don't know how a.musical works but my guess is that they will attend the first week just to check if everything works fine and if not, what to change and check if the changes work. I guess anything would be written in stone at the end of march, early April.

The first concert is April 25th if I recall well. 25 days of rehearsals are far too much than they really need to play nowadays Mk music. A DS tour would need some months but, MK music with session musicians instead of band members, that's what nowadays MK musicians are, sessions musicians, that would not take that much no matter if all the set is new.

The last tour in which they shaked the set was the Ktgc tour. Just check the period of rehearsals in Guy's forum and you'll discover that it was the same than usual.

And do you think Mark is rehearsed enough during the early shows?  Last tour he wasn't getting into his stride until late June IMO.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 08:01:18 PM by dmg »

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2019, 08:06:49 PM »
I think that for the last tour they didn't rehearse... They just tried the new songs, did a pass over the songs from the previous tour and spent one week as maximum doing that.

I hope that for next they spend at least two or three really working.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2019, 10:01:38 PM »
I think that for the last tour they didn't rehearse... They just tried the new songs, did a pass over the songs from the previous tour and spent one week as maximum doing that.

They would need at least a dress rehearsal for Guy's shirts!  :lol

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2019, 09:29:42 AM »

And do you think Mark is rehearsed enough during the early shows?  Last tour he wasn't getting into his stride until late June IMO.

Manchester 2015 was only the second show of the tour and one of the best -the  longest too!    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2019, 09:36:36 AM »

Manchester 2015 was only the second show of the tour and one of the best -the  longest too!    :)

And all the set consisted in songs that they had played hundred of times during the 2013, 2010 and 2008 tours, and five songs from Tracker.

Probably they rehearsed that five songs during three days or four, refreshed the "same old set" during other three or four days and that was all.

It's an easy way of prepare a tour, play songs you already played so many times that you can put autopilot in mode on.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2019, 09:37:38 AM »

They would need at least a dress rehearsal for Guy's shirts!  :lol

I bet are the same shirts from the last two tours, unless he grow fat and need to buy new ones, LOL

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2019, 09:45:46 AM »

And all the set consisted in songs that they had played hundred of times during the 2013, 2010 and 2008 tours, and five songs from Tracker.

Probably they rehearsed that five songs during three days or four, refreshed the "same old set" during other three or four days and that was all.

It's an easy way of prepare a tour, play songs you already played so many times that you can put autopilot in mode on.

Whatever you say, it was a great show and the audience loved it, including me!    This next tour, however, I hope for a huge shake-up, especially as it could be his last big tour!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 38 queries.