Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Bill Forsyth dropped from the creative team  (Read 5368 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Bill Forsyth dropped from the creative team
« on: March 07, 2019, 12:36:04 PM »
I just read this article... I thought that Bill Forsyth was in the creative team and the book has been written by him, MK and David Greig...

https://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/edinburgh-theatre-denies-snub-to-local-hero-s-creator-over-new-musical-1-4884839

Edinburgh theatre denies snub to Local Hero’s creator over new musical

Bill Forsyth, the director of the original Local Hero movie. Picture: Michael Gillen

The theatre staging a new Local Hero musical has denied suggestions by the classic film’s writer and director that he has been sidelined from the production.

The Royal Lyceum, in Edinburgh, has insisted it is still hopeful Bill Forsyth will attend the launch of the show later this month – despite his claims that he was dropped from its creative team.

Forsyth helped develop the musical with the venue’s artistic director David Greig and Mark Knopfler, the musician and composer who created the original iconic soundtrack for the 1983 movie.

However, Forysth said he had been dropped by producer Patrick Daly, whe originally came up with the idea for the musical, which will be launched in Edinburgh before going on to the staged at the Old Vic in London next year.

Forsyth told The Times: “It’s not a show I’ll be able to see. It is sad, but they tried to turn me into an editor – ‘turn up and you can have your little say, but you’re not going to be creatively involved’.

“What he [Daly] said was I should stop working on the musical and not be involved in any more workshops. He said ‘you can turn up with the execs and play an editorial part at the end of the process’, which I didn’t take to at all. They wanted me to step back, be a good boy and keep smiling. I left in a state of shock.”

Greig, who has been working on the production for several years, said: “We were expecting Bill to come to previews and to be offering thoughts and notes and very much looking forward to welcoming him to the show.

“I can’t stress enough that there’s so much of him in it, not just the original. He was a deep part of the drafting of the stage show.”

A statement from the theatre said: “As Mark Knopfler developed a new score of 19 new songs, Bill Forsyth and David Greig worked closely together on several drafts of the script to ensure this transformation to the theatre retained the magic and essence of Bill’s film.

“As such, we’re sad and surprised if he has felt in any way excluded from the creative process.

“A world class creative team, director, designers and musicians have been assembled to create the show, all with Bill and Mark’s approval.

“When a new stage show begins rehearsals, it is this team which forms and shapes it for the theatre. John Crowley, the director, and the whole team have always considered Bill’s voice to be central and integral. Without it, any telling of Local Hero would simply not be possible.”
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
Re: Bill Forsyth dropped from the creative team
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 12:42:32 PM »
Another one:

https://www.scotsman.com/news/celebrity/local-hero-writer-frozen-out-of-edinburgh-musical-1-4884181

Local Hero writer ‘frozen out’ of Edinburgh musical

The writer and director of Local Hero claims he has been ‘frozen out’ of a musical based on the Scottish film classic.

Bill Forsyth has declared he will boycott the musical’s opening in Edinburgh later this month.

The 72-year-old claims he has been told he should “cease to be actively involved” in the new project after spending the past three years collaborating alongside playwright David Greig.

Forsyth confirmed to The Times he had broken off all communications with the producers, which includes Mr Greig and director John Crowley.

The film director said he had been left in state of shock at being cut off from the project.

“It’s not a show I’ll be able to see,” Forsyth told the national newspaper.

“It is sad, but they tried to turn me into an editor – ‘turn up and you can have your little say, but you’re not going to be creatively involved’.”

The show is the first time Local Hero has been adapted for the stage.

Dire Straits legend Mark Knopfler has create new music for the reimagining of Local Hero.

First released in 1983, the original film tells the story of an American oil company representative who is sent to the fictional village of Ferness on the west coast of Scotland to purchase the town and surrounding property for his company.

Forsyth won the 1984 Bafta award for best direction for his work on the film.

The stage show’s opening is at the Lyceum Theatre in Edinburgh on 23 March, but Forsyth said he would not be going.

He said he had not been involved since the decision was made last year to drop him from the creative team, claiming he had only received one email since from Mr Greig.

“What he said was, I should stop working on the musical and not be involved in any more workshops,” Forsyth said.

“He said ‘you can turn up with the execs and play an editorial part at the end of the process’, which I didn’t take to at all.

“They wanted me to step back, be a good boy and keep smiling. I left in a state of shock.”

Greig told The Times he was “very sad” to hear Forsyth’s claims of being excluded from the process.

“I will immediately be getting in contact,” he said.

“We were expecting Bill to come to previews and to be offering thoughts and notes and very much looking forward to welcoming him to the show.

“I can’t stress enough that there’s so much of him in it, not just the original.

“He was a deep part of the drafting of the stage show.”

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 12:43:43 PM »
And this one, for subscribers:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bill-forsyth-cut-out-of-local-hero-musical-9tb0h9785

Bill Forsyth cut out of Local Hero musical

It is one of the most eagerly awaited theatre productions of recent years but there will be one notable absentee at its world premiere.

Bill Forsyth, the writer and director of the film Local Hero, has said that he has been frozen out of a musical based on the film and will boycott the opening in Edinburgh this month.

Forsyth, who has spent the past three years collaborating on the show with the playwright David Greig, has been told that he should “cease to be actively involved” in the project.

His role as co-writer had been reduced to making editorial suggestions once rehearsals are completed. He has now broken off all communication with the producers, who include Greig, and the director John Crowley.

Forsyth, 72,…

Want to read more?
Subscribe now and get unlimited digital access on web and our smartphone and tablet apps, free for your first month.

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 01:22:52 PM »
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/entertainment/lyceum-insist-filmmaker-bill-forsyth-welcome-at-world-premiere-of-local-hero-1-4883880

Lyceum insist filmmaker Bill Forsyth welcome at world premiere of Local Hero

PRODUCTIONS with the potential to become a landmark piece of theatre are few and far between, however, Local Hero, a co-production between the Royal Lyceum and The Old Vic gas the capacity to become just that.

A stage adaptation of the 1983 film, co-written by David Greig and Bill Forsyth, with new music and lyrics by Mark Knopfler, Local Hero is a wry comedy about a man who sets out to buy a beach, but ends up losing his heart to a village.

This week, however, Forsyth claimed to have been left in state of shock after being cut off from the project.

“It’s not a show I’ll be able to see,” Forsyth told a national newspaper.

“It is sad, but they tried to turn me into an editor - ‘turn up and you can have your little say, but you’re not going to be creatively involved’.”

The Royal Lyceum, however, still hope Forsyth will have a change of heart and attend the World Premiere next week.

A statement released by the Company to the Evening News stating, “It’s a real privilege to work with Bill on bringing his beloved story, Local Hero, to the stage.

“As Mark Knopfler developed a new score of 19 new songs, Bill Forsyth and David Greig worked closely together on several drafts of the script to ensure this transformation to the theatre retained the magic and essence of Bill’s film.

“As such, we are sad and surprised if he has felt in any way excluded from the creative process.

“A world class creative team, director, designers and musicians have been assembled to create the show, all with Bill and Mark’s approval.

“When a new stage show begins rehearsals, it is this team which forms and shapes it for the theatre. John Crowley, the director, and the whole team have always considered Bill’s voice to be central and integral. Without it, any telling of Local Hero would simply not be possible.

“Bill has been engaged with all script developments, and invited to attend each workshop, and to all key rehearsal dates.

“He has also received requests to take part in press interviews and appearances, visits to Pennan and Banff with cast and crew and of course, an invitation to dress rehearsals, previews and opening night.

“We sincerely hope Bill will be with us on opening night.

“The Lyceum and its partners would be so proud to share with him the experience of seeing his wonderful story in its new life on stage.”

Local Hero, Royal Lyceum, Grindley Street, 14 March-4 May, 7.30pm (matinees 2pm), £18-£68, 0131 248 4848

Offlineskydiver

• Camerado
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 01:51:41 PM »
How sad…

but thanks for keeping us updated on everything going on in Edinburgh

now this explains why he was absent from the last pics.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 01:56:40 PM by skydiver »

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 02:03:21 PM »
How sad…

but thanks for keeping us updated on everything going on in Edinburgh

now this explains why he was absent from the last pics.

Actually they could had made all of it without Bill Forsyth but it was very nice from David Greig to call him and work with him in the book with MK.

I find rare that after that, the musical director decided to leave him out...  :(

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 02:46:02 PM »
Musicals and movies are completely different things, I'm actually surprised Bill couldn't get it and cooperate as asked. Looks like his ego didn't allow him not to be in control.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 07:27:22 PM »
Sounds harsh...

BUT

Bill Forsyth has been washed up creatively for a LONG time. More than 30 years since he made a good film and when you listen to him being interviewed it's clear he has lost any creative spark.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.028 seconds with 38 queries.