Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: "Get Lucky" - Track by track  (Read 66865 times)

OnlineLeprechaun

• Local Hero
"Get Lucky" - Track by track
« on: August 08, 2009, 12:31:17 AM »
Like we all know, the whole album could be listened to due to a technical mistake for a couple of hours.

Did someone manage to hear some of the new tunes and could please write something about the sound / style - track by track? Is there a lot of the magic knopfleresque guitar playing? On an other discussion board someone wrote that "You can't beat the house" sounded very bluesy (being similar or reminding on the DS-track "Millionaire Blues")

Would be interesting to read about your feelings as we all are getting more and more excited till the album is out mid-september.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Re: "Get Lucky" - Track by track
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 01:14:18 AM »
very good point leprechaun.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinepamplina

• Camerado
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 01:35:32 AM »
Like we all know, the whole album could be listened to due to a technical mistake for a couple of hours.

Did someone manage to hear some of the new tunes and could please write something about the sound / style - track by track? Is there a lot of the magic knopfleresque guitar playing? On an other discussion board someone wrote that "You can't beat the house" sounded very bluesy (being similar or reminding on the DS-track "Millionaire Blues")

Would be interesting to read about your feelings as we all are getting more and more excited till the album is out mid-september.
BORDER REIVER: Fast and catchy track. One of the album highlights. The instrumental parts are very like an scottish reel. It would be my election for radio single.
HARD SHOULDER: Elegant and sophisticated, perhaps it recalls a bit to The Fizzy & The Still, but I like it much more.
YOU CAN'T BEAT THE HOUSE: I can't say it's bluesy... I can say IT IS a blues. It's the more traditional blues in Mark's career. Very good guitar licks, and excellent blues piano by Matt Rollings.
BEFORE GAS & TV: Slow scottish tune, very heart moving with excellent arrangement.
MONTELEONE: It could be the soundtrack of a 50's italian film. Fantastic atmosphere with the orchestra. A great track.
CLEANING MY GUN: It's the only rocker in the whole album. You can recall Boom Like That and Imelda. Great guitar parts.
THE CAR WAS THE ONE: Another elegant track, played with guitar pick.
REMEMBRANCE DAY: Very moving. If it don't bring you to tears, you're made of stone. The children chorus is truly beautiful.
GET LUCKY: You know it. Simply wonderful.
SO FAR FROM THE CLYDE: The best of the album, in my opinion. Mark's voice, the chorus, the celtic instruments, the Les Paul guitar.... all incredible, amazing, moving.... One of the master works from Mark.
PIPER TO THE END: Another master work. Incredible scottish sound. The end part (that fades) is the best instrumental in the whole album. Incredible. The celtic musicians in all their mastery.

It's the best album from the solo career? Possibly. Time will say.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 01:58:19 AM by pamplina »
Greetings from Cadiz, Spain :-)

Offlinegoldenheart96

• Lady writer
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 02:18:13 AM »
Just curious: Why did the other GL thread disappear? Did I miss something?  ???

OfflineTommyJ88

• Local Hero
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 03:11:05 AM »

I wrote my thoughts track by track on the thread that was deleted. I guess we're not allowed to say anything as the message at the top says "please do not discuss songs that have not been released yet". I really hope AMIT isn't turning into an over-moderated forum like MKNews. I came here to get away from that.

When a new album is released there will be people wanting to talk about it. Reviewers will have copies already and they will be describing the songs. If people can't talk about songs here then they will go elsewhere, and AMIT will start losing members like MKNews did.

If a magazine or newspaper includes a review, are we not allowed to post it? I mean, those songs haven't been released yet, so it would be against the rules, right?

If we hear a new song on the radio, I assume we're banned from talking about that?

I'm pretty sure even MKNews has allowed people to TALK about MK albums before they were released. There's a HUGE difference between posting/asking for links to mp3s and just talking about these songs.

I have visited the forums of a lot of different artists and their albums always leak before the release date, but only strictly moderated forums try to stop people discussing new material.

If the single is Remembrance Day then it's likely that Radio 2 will be playing it within a week or two. Will we not be allowed to talk about it?

This is depressing.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 07:52:14 AM »
Sorry, I'm confused!   ???    We are told (above) that we must not discuss new songs and then this thread appears, "Get Lucky" - Track by track"!      What are we to talk about??  ???

So Pottel, why this new thread?  It doesn't make sense! ::)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 08:23:12 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineJeroenvG

• Lady writer
  • Follow me on "twitter.com/vanDiemensLand"
    • Alles Muziek (Dutch)
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 08:35:40 AM »
Sorry, I'm confused!   ???    We are told (above) that we must not discuss new songs and then this thread appears, "Get Lucky" - Track by track"!      What are we to talk about??  ???

So Pottel, why this new thread?  It doesn't make sense! ::)

I don't understand this either.
News: the Get lucky on MK.com thread was removed. please do not discuss songs that have not been released yet - Pottel

And now we are going to discuss the new songs? Are we allowed now?
"I could play my accordion And charm all of the women And dance round the taproom With a chair in my teeth"

OnlineLeprechaun

• Local Hero
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 09:15:41 AM »
Thanks for telling us some more details about the new material.

Oh, I didn't know that there was another thread that has been closed before BUT it is not understandable for me.

I mean, this is a forum where people are free to express their feelings and opinions and since we are not insulting, discriminating or abusing each other or do not upload the whole album before release it is ok in my eyes.

So come on boys and girls, please let this forum be a real forum and not something strictly controlled. For that we have the official MKnews-forum. BTW, anyone knows other MK-forums that is recommendable??

OfflineMossguitar

• Camerado
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 10:23:25 AM »
Nice to see you on this forum too, Leprechaun! It's an extremely nice forum, all our old friends are here, discussing like we did back in the old days:-)

Therefor it's strange to see that we are not allowed to discuss the GL album. Remember that this is an unofficial and indipendent forum. Then it's never wrong to discuss anything we have heard, we know etc. as long as it's not about someones private life, discriminating, offending etc. If a country made it illegal by law, it would violate the European Human Rigts Convension article 10 about freedom of expression and corresponding regulations of the various international human rights convensions. Something totally different is to violate copyright law, but that will be illeagel after the release date too.

So please: let us be able to discuss what have heard, unreleased music included. It's not illegal or immoral. It's the opposite that is immoral.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 11:58:49 AM »
Just curious: Why did the other GL thread disappear? Did I miss something?  ???
No, GH, i took the liberty to delete it. coz the trend in the posts was going in the wrong direction. i hate deleting threads, and am still in guilt a bit with this one,

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 12:02:15 PM »
Nice to see you on this forum too, Leprechaun! It's an extremely nice forum, all our old friends are here, discussing like we did back in the old days:-)

Therefor it's strange to see that we are not allowed to discuss the GL album. Remember that this is an unofficial and indipendent forum. Then it's never wrong to discuss anything we have heard, we know etc. as long as it's not about someones private life, discriminating, offending etc. If a country made it illegal by law, it would violate the European Human Rigts Convension article 10 about freedom of expression and corresponding regulations of the various international human rights convensions. Something totally different is to violate copyright law, but that will be illeagel after the release date too.

So please: let us be able to discuss what have heard, unreleased music included. It's not illegal or immoral. It's the opposite that is immoral.
it was the level of some posts, accusing other fans that made me delete the thread. deleting it was maybe the wrong decision, could have also simply closed it, but hey, a lotta water under the bridge now. just keep it civilised.

Offlinegoldenheart96

• Lady writer
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 12:28:13 PM »
it was the level of some posts, accusing other fans that made me delete the thread. deleting it was maybe the wrong decision, could have also simply closed it, but hey, a lotta water under the bridge now. just keep it civilised.

Oh, I must have missed the accusing other fans part; but I'm glad it wasn't because some critical thoughts about GL were uttered because I think we should be open to criticism even though we all love MK's music.

OfflineMossguitar

• Camerado
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2009, 01:10:42 PM »
A resonable decision, Pottel, as long as it's not because we discussed the unreleased tracks. I see you changed the reasoning - good!  :D

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2009, 02:01:38 PM »
So here I go...

To me it
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Rollergirl

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2009, 02:08:56 PM »

Oh, I must have missed the accusing other fans part; but I'm glad it wasn't because some critical thoughts about GL were uttered because I think we should be open to criticism even though we all love MK's music.

No, it wasn't, it was a shame to delete the whole thread for that but there was some strange comments which did not have their place on this forum.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 40 queries.