Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Guitars used by Mark this tour?  (Read 41997 times)

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Re: Guitars used by Mark this tour?
« Reply #90 on: May 24, 2019, 05:43:31 PM »
The strat without a capo seemed to have a white pickguard. Difficult to be sure with concert lighting. But the one with the capo seemed to have the correct mint green pickguard. Also looked like a bit of figuring in the wood on the headstock.

Interesting stuff.....
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #91 on: May 25, 2019, 08:51:41 PM »
My trouble with Mark's "new" National is that it sounds nothing like National, especially on live recordings. It sounds like acoustic guitar with piezo, and that fact baffles me more than the actual transition to the new guitar. I remember listening to the audio version of Romeo played on the new guitar without video portion and I thought — wow, he decided to play it on regular acoustic! But it turned out to be new guitar.

I get it, it sounds like reso-phonic guitar, but not as much as National and this surprises me. National sounds like banjo and it's a part of the song.

Offlinevr46mk

• Lady writer
  • Early Bird
« Reply #92 on: May 25, 2019, 08:55:35 PM »
My trouble with Mark's "new" National is that it sounds nothing like National, especially on live recordings. It sounds like acoustic guitar with piezo, and that fact baffles me more than the actual transition to the new guitar. I remember listening to the audio version of Romeo played on the new guitar without video portion and I thought — wow, he decided to play it on regular acoustic! But it turned out to be new guitar.

I get it, it sounds like reso-phonic guitar, but not as much as National and this surprises me. National sounds like banjo and it's a part of the song.

Agree. I miss that sound...

Offlinediremark86

• Camerado
« Reply #93 on: May 27, 2019, 02:37:29 AM »

I was just having this conversation with Lis the last couple of days.

I couldn't agree more if you are referring to the Beard Deco Phonic 37 he is using on Romeo. It sounds just plain wrong. It really is a bizarre move to me, considering the National just might be the only guitar that has stretched his entire career until now. If he was concerned with the condition of his original (if he has in fact still been using it on recent tours) then a new one (even replicated aged) can be obtained from National, and I am sure they would give it to him.....

The sound would be way better off if he used the Beltano used on Heart Full Of Holes than the Beard....

hunter

« Reply #94 on: May 27, 2019, 05:45:50 AM »
I also agree. The new 'Beard' I'm sure is a wonderful instrument, but it is not the right sound for Romeo. Too soft. As far as I know, Mark hasn't used the original National live for quite some time now, but has used a copy. Am I right?

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #95 on: May 27, 2019, 10:34:33 AM »
I also agree. The new 'Beard' I'm sure is a wonderful instrument, but it is not the right sound for Romeo. Too soft. As far as I know, Mark hasn't used the original National live for quite some time now, but has used a copy. Am I right?

That kind of guitar is splendid to play slide. Actually is the one or very similar played by Jerry Douglas, who is the person who gave that guitar to MK.

You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinediremark86

• Camerado
« Reply #96 on: May 27, 2019, 02:24:37 PM »

I have seen it speculated but never confirmed. Regardless of the original or a replica, we want it BACK!!! Lol.

hunter

« Reply #97 on: May 27, 2019, 02:30:55 PM »

That kind of guitar is splendid to play slide. Actually is the one or very similar played by Jerry Douglas, who is the person who gave that guitar to MK.

Note that Jerry Douglas uses metal picks on his fingers, and probably has very thick strings, so he gets a different sound altogether than Mark, who plays with bare fingers. The National guitars have a much stronger mid-range it seems, so the sound is much sharper than a Dobro, which is made of wood.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #98 on: May 27, 2019, 07:34:58 PM »

I have seen it speculated but never confirmed. Regardless of the original or a replica, we want it BACK!!! Lol.

The National was last used 'Live' when I saw MK at Chalke Valley History festival on the 2nd July 2016 I believe....
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinekaleo74

• Camerado
« Reply #99 on: May 27, 2019, 09:36:11 PM »

Agree, sounded like a cover band trying to get the sound on an acoustic
If I realised that the chances were slim,
How come I'm so surprised when the tide rolled in

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #100 on: May 27, 2019, 09:57:03 PM »
Another weird thing last night.

John is doubling Mark's part on his cittern... And it was louder than Mark!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #101 on: May 30, 2019, 06:58:17 PM »

He started using the replica around 2006 or something like that.

Edit: I was right!  :)

http://www.oneverybootleg.nl/MK_guitars_national.htm
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 07:00:50 PM by border_reiver »
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

OfflineVincent Rapide

• Guitar George
« Reply #102 on: June 02, 2019, 04:11:36 PM »
So I have figured it out. Yesterday finally saw the show with my own eyes. He uses the 59 LP on WAM, MFN, BIA and GH. On OUATITW it's a 58 reissue

OK, so, I've been to a couple of gigs and watched a lot of videos posted online.

As far as I can see, the Original 58 Burst No 86811isn't on the tour. That's MK's absolute fave and I can only assume it's the value (probably £300,000+) that may be stopping him taking it on tour. It has a gold sticker at the back of the headstock that's been on there ever since he's owned it.

For BIA, MFN and a few of the others, I believe he's using an MK reissue. It just doesn't sound the same as the original 58 and the flame looks wrong. The plastics also don't match up to his 58.

Having looked at a lot of pictures etc online, I'm betting he's using the original '59 Burst for Why Aye Man etc. where there's a capo involved.
Why he's chosen to use that is anyone's guess, as that's probably worth as much as the much-loved 58.

On a final note, the majority of 59s were sprayed with dyes that were much less reactive to sunlight, which is why the 59 still holds a good deal of the red burst. The 58s were prone to fading, hence the almost tea tint of his original 58.

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #103 on: June 02, 2019, 08:22:16 PM »
No, as per my post above, reissue 59 for WAM, original 58 (I saw the sticker!) on OUATITW, YLT and Speedway, and reissue 58 on the encores.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #104 on: June 02, 2019, 09:18:19 PM »
I confirm that the LP used on WAM is different from all the ones used later in the show.

Look the at the pickup on the neck, it is set up the same way as the bridge pickup as you can see on the picture below (2019 shot) :

The others LP have the pickup set mirroring (2005 shot used for illustration) :

« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 09:24:28 PM by ds1984 »
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 40 queries.