Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Goodbye speech  (Read 15647 times)

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
Re: Goodbye speech
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2019, 09:53:07 AM »
Did anyone else notice the subtle dig at MK on Alan Clarkes web site in his 'news' section.....

I don't really check his website as I don't care much for his attitude. But you mean this part?

"Congratulations to two fellow Geordies who were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this year: Bryan Ferry and Paul Thompson from Roxy Music. I was there last year when “significant” members of Dire Straits were inducted. Our event took place in Cleveland, Ohio, and a good time was had by all, which didn't include Mark Knopfler who didn’t show up, and who hadn’t arranged for someone to induct those of us who did, which was a first in the history of the event. But that didn’t spoil what was a pleasant few days in the US during which I received the rather weighty award, see below,  caught up with some old friends, discovered Jon Bonjovi is a fan, and did some serious shopping in Manhattan."

It was that but also the first line where he mentions some of his 'peers' retiring....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2019, 10:05:29 AM »
Did anyone else notice the subtle dig at MK on Alan Clarkes web site in his 'news' section.....

I don't really check his website as I don't care much for his attitude. But you mean this part?

"Congratulations to two fellow Geordies who were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this year: Bryan Ferry and Paul Thompson from Roxy Music. I was there last year when “significant” members of Dire Straits were inducted. Our event took place in Cleveland, Ohio, and a good time was had by all, which didn't include Mark Knopfler who didn’t show up, and who hadn’t arranged for someone to induct those of us who did, which was a first in the history of the event. But that didn’t spoil what was a pleasant few days in the US during which I received the rather weighty award, see below,  caught up with some old friends, discovered Jon Bonjovi is a fan, and did some serious shopping in Manhattan."

It was that but also the first line where he mentions some of his 'peers' retiring....

This?

" While I hear talk of retirement from my contemporaries, I’m struggling to find time to fit in a holiday. Not that I’m complaining…"

What an ego!!   Me, me, me!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 10:07:42 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2019, 10:40:27 AM »

This?

" While I hear talk of retirement from my contemporaries, I’m struggling to find time to fit in a holiday. Not that I’m complaining…"

Yep Superval. Its why I posted the comment in here under the goodbye retirement talk. Quite a nasty little dig really.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2019, 11:36:26 AM »

This?

It's his website, "me" looks like the correct way to talk in your site.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2019, 11:46:21 AM »
Yes, what if he also say it in London "good bye London", does it means that he wouldn't play even small residence in London in the future?

This will be interesting to hear what he will say in the British concerts.  First one in Leeds we will find out, then at the O2 for London.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2019, 12:37:08 PM »
Alan Clark - and you are who?? Is all that's needed to say really?
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2019, 02:56:58 PM »
It is ironic that Mark stopped Dire Straits because it all got to big, and this tour he has more musicians on stage than any of his previous solo tours, so maybe he feels he is getting back to it being to big again, so I truly believe this to be the last big scale tour, but I also believe he will perform some shows in a much more scaled down situation.

As for Alan Clark, he should realise how lucky his "career" has been, and he seems very two faced, being with Guy and John at the RRHOL, then slating Mark. And I think Jon Bon Jovi is more a fan of Mark, as I remember he stated once how he wished he has written Romeo & Juliet, and he used the line "I can't sing a love song, like the way it's meant to be" in his song Always, which also has the Romeo character.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 03:32:36 PM by qjamesfloyd »
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2019, 07:18:51 PM »
It amazes me that Alan Clark always end in all conversations.

If he read us he would be satisfied!

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2019, 08:57:05 PM »
What did he say in Madrid, by the way?

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2019, 09:05:18 PM »
What did he say in Madrid, by the way?

The same.

OfflineDave

• Guitar George
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2019, 06:05:23 PM »
Watching the Nelson Mandela 70th birthday tribute concert in 1988 on tv as a kid I was bitten by the DS/MK bug. Following DS/MK ever since and as someone once said before this music became the soundtrack of my life as well. I was blown away when I first heard Once Upon A Time In The West on Alchemy and bought my first guitar the next day. Still play in a band today... I might consider myself as a fan. And I am a happy fan.
I am happy and thankful:
- because MK delivered another album that I like
- because I managed to get tickets for what happens to be the last big tour
- that OUATITW is played as this closes the circle for me
- with my Portobelle Road Gin that arrived this week and is a souvenir in our living that reflects years of joy
- with the set list as it comes
- following this forum and feel like being sort of present at each show.

Enjoy!

Did I already tell you I am happy? ;)

OnlineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2019, 08:35:18 PM »
Watching the Nelson Mandela 70th birthday tribute concert in 1988 on tv as a kid I was bitten by the DS/MK bug. Following DS/MK ever since and as someone once said before this music became the soundtrack of my life as well. I was blown away when I first heard Once Upon A Time In The West on Alchemy and bought my first guitar the next day. Still play in a band today... I might consider myself as a fan. And I am a happy fan.
I am happy and thankful:
- because MK delivered another album that I like
- because I managed to get tickets for what happens to be the last big tour
- that OUATITW is played as this closes the circle for me
- with my Portobelle Road Gin that arrived this week and is a souvenir in our living that reflects years of joy
- with the set list as it comes
- following this forum and feel like being sort of present at each show.

Enjoy!

Did I already tell you I am happy? ;)

I have this concert on a VHS cassette. Unfortunately, it was not broadcast in my country. Beautiful memories Dave:)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Love Expresso

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2019, 11:36:48 PM »
I listened to Tracker this afternoon for the first time in ages and it struck me suddenly that the ones like Mighty Man, Broken Bones and especially Heart of Oak get a new meaning for me in the light of Mark's current state. Might be obvious but I never found a personal MK relation in Mighty Man or Broken Bones so much but thought of them just as portrait songs. Heart of Oak would perfectly fit into the set from this tour if it was easier on the vocal part.

LE

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2019, 10:03:06 AM »
Oh yes, he could bring back Mighty Man into the set. A mighty song.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2019, 01:54:36 PM »
in this interview he says it is all about time, and that he prefers wrting and recording to touring, simply because of the effort and time going into that.
https://www.nzz.ch/feuilleton/mark-knopfler-der-meister-der-subtilen-virtuositaet-ld.1478866
also says it will be mostly the international touring that will cease, so i understand he will do a "Clapton" and only play the RAH or something similar.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 40 queries.