Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: #14 DTRW TOUR - May 15 2019 - Mercedes-Benz Arena, Berlin, Germany #SPOILER#  (Read 17860 times)

Offlinegoldenheart96

• Lady writer
Hi everyone, I'm back home and can use a proper keyboard for typing again so I thought I'd share some of my thoughts about the Berlin show.

First of all, this must have been the first MK concert where I haven't seen one single familiar face. I've been following MK and attended his concerts since STP and have always met one or two fellow fans. Where was everybody? Felt strange to enjoy my post show drink alone. Probably the ticket prices are just too high this time so people attend less shows...?

As for the concert, I was a very happy fan afterwards. I expected the worst after reading some of the reviews from the shows in Spain but I thought Berlin was a great show. MK's playing seemed to be less sloppy than it was during the 2008 tour where, even as a non-guitar expert, you sort of always had the feeling he would hit a wrong note. I liked the "brassies", they enhance his songs, although I thought he often uses them to fill in the gaps were a guitar solo is missing. Anyway I was surprised I liked the sound, I was sceptical first because I've never been a fan of too much saxofone in MK's songs (I can't stand that overloaded version of R&J on On the Night). They do make the entire concert musically more interesting. Isn't this what we've been waiting for all those years? My personal highlight was Silvertown Blues, man, it really blew me away. A live version has LONG been overdue. Also great to hear Going Home played with the Les Paul. Prefer it a lot to the Schecter. Much rockier, richer sound. Matchstick Man was very touching. I liked the different drum beat on Bonaparte. Bacon Roll was a bit of a downer and got only very polite reactions. Still surprised he dug out MfN again, thought he hated it. Didn't miss Sultans or TR, heard them live plenty of times. Wouldn't have minded if he switched R&J and BiA with either two new songs or some old forgotten classics (I was just listening to Planet of New Orleans today and thought it would be so awesome to hear this live - well, a girl can dream, right?).

Speedway still works live, it has that special energy. I wasn't really sure when the stage rushing was going to start so I think I was the one initiating it. I was so excited I tripped, I think it was visible from the stage, LOL.

Seeing MK up close I thought he has really aged a lot since the last tour. Still, I'm not so sure if this will really be his last time around. Before Bacon Roll he said the first time he was in Berlin he was a young dude, now he's an old man and should retire. He really said that in German, Ich sollte in Rente gehen. But he also said he loves music so much, and rhetorically asked what to do. "I think I just play", was his answer to his own question. Then some drunk fanboy yelled "Don't stop til you're in the grave."  ::)

Well I don't know, he probably won't do big tours anymore... But that's okay. I've seen him so many times and met so many great people along the way - I'm just very thankful for all of that. But we'll see.

Oh btw, someone mentioned the sound and that it sucked. Well, I thought it was pretty good. I know venues that really are an acoustic nightmare - the Festhalle AND the Commerzbank Arena in Frankfurt for example  :disbelief The Mercedes Benz arena is one of the better halls IMO. By the way, the area around the arena surely has changed a lot. I saw Roger Waters there about a year ago and correct me if I'm wrong but I think those illuminated futuristic water fountains and all those restaurants at the "Mercedes Benz Platz" weren't there back then. Oh, Berlin is one big construction site and constantly changing - not to the best. Too many hotels, too many tourists. I spared myself the typical sightseeing spots this time and made a nice excursion to Potsdam instead. Now I'm back home, still have a few days off and time to proceed my experience. Looking forward to seeing MK one more time in Mannheim - and hopefully some familiar faces.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Thanks for your great review GoldenHeart.  I'm glad you enjoyed your show in Berlin - Mark seems to be getting into the swing of things about now.  I'm still unhappy about Speedway being a poor finale to the show but we can't have everything we want in life!

P.S.  Planet of New Orleans would most certainly be welcomed!  Yes please!  :P
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Many thanks for your review Goldenheart.   It's good to hear from you again and I'm glad that you enjoyed the show.  It's my turn today in Leeds and tomorrow in Newcastle and I'm really looking forward to seeing MK again!   :)

Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo

I can't stand that overloaded version of R&J on On the Night

Seeing MK up close I thought he has really aged a lot since the last tour.

Thanks for the review gaoldenheart96 I'm glad you enjoyed it. Personally I like the Romeo & Juliet from On The Night, and it is mainly because of Chris White's work, I think he is the best Brass instrument player Mark has ever worked with, I know thinks a lot of his current players, but for me Chris is the man.

I agree with the observation that Mark has aged since the last tour, he is looking like an old man now, which is not surprising given his age, but at least he has aged better than the members of The Rolling Stones, who have always looked like old men!!!
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinetobi777

• Local Hero
Oh btw, someone mentioned the sound and that it sucked. Well, I thought it was pretty good. I know venues that really are an acoustic nightmare - the Festhalle AND the Commerzbank Arena in Frankfurt for example  :disbelief The Mercedes Benz arena is one of the better halls IMO. By the way, the area around the arena surely has changed a lot. I saw Roger Waters there about a year ago and correct me if I'm wrong but I think those illuminated futuristic water fountains and all those restaurants at the "Mercedes Benz Platz" weren't there back then. Oh, Berlin is one big construction site and constantly changing - not to the best. Too many hotels, too many tourists. I spared myself the typical sightseeing spots this time and made a nice excursion to Potsdam instead. Now I'm back home, still have a few days off and time to proceed my experience. Looking forward to seeing MK one more time in Mannheim - and hopefully some familiar faces.

I guess that was me who complained about the sound. I've been in this arena about ten times and it was always bad or very bad. The only concert I liked the sound was last year (Jeff Lynne's ELO).
There might be venues that are much worse - but if I have to pay nearly 100€ for a ticket and get a bad sound, I can't be satisfied. Adding the bad organisation and the long queues
I try to avoid this location - but unfortunately many concerts take place there.

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
He looks thrilled.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 38 queries.