Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Best Memories & Moments With MK/DS/NHB Tours & Shows  (Read 8643 times)

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
Re: Best Memories & Moments With MK/DS/NHB Tours & Shows
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2019, 12:01:22 AM »
IDUAD and Michaelangelo in 2006
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2019, 12:10:50 AM »
Being at Forum in Copenhagen '96 and singing along to that epic "Ole ole ole" with the whole crowd. First concert ever and oh what a memory.

Meeting MK in Malmö, twice.

London, 2002, Save the baby-gig. "Almost" DS :)

Being backstage as a guest of Mr Sonny L's at St Julien 2015 and watching one legend's concert from the back of the stage alongside another legend.
how did you get to be a guest there?
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2019, 12:54:34 AM »
Being at Forum in Copenhagen '96 and singing along to that epic "Ole ole ole" with the whole crowd. First concert ever and oh what a memory.

Meeting MK in Malmö, twice.

London, 2002, Save the baby-gig. "Almost" DS :)

Being backstage as a guest of Mr Sonny L's at St Julien 2015 and watching one legend's concert from the back of the stage alongside another legend.
how did you get to be a guest there?

PM
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

OfflineNeville Sherman

• Camerado
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2019, 07:28:27 AM »
Too many to mention for me, although not seeing him until Vancouver later this year. When that last song is played, whichever one it is, it will mean something special for me and there will be a tear in my eye! But the tears will be warm and will fall in a positive way. Seeing him around Europe both as the lead of DS and as the leader of his own crew over the year holds many memories. NHB at Ronnie Scotts in the 90's and being so close to the stage meant seeing his fingers dance and glide over the guitars just brought home what a special talent this man has and that he has been willing to share over the years is something special. But any concert, regardless of the setlist, when he walks out and takes that guitar in his hand you know you are going to witness something that means something to YOU personally and that is what I will miss. But ever so grateful for having witnessed what I have. Sigh! But as long as more music keeps coming, great!

OnlineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2019, 03:08:33 PM »
Great memories, keep 'em coming!!!
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2019, 04:25:46 PM »
I didn't get to see Dire Straits unfortunately, but I first got to see Mark in Bournemouth, 17th May 1996, but we got there late, and had to stand at the back, however we were directly in the middle of the stage, and the sound was great from where I was standing. I don't remember the set list but I remember being so nervous that I was finally going to see Mark live.

I had a great time seeing Mark on the Sailing to Philadelphia tour at The Royal Albert hall, it also my first visit there.

Another memory is being at the Brighton concert on the Get Lucky tour, that was the same gig that was used for the A Life in Songs documentary, I have tried looking for myself in the crowd, but can't see me, even though the camera is pointing my direction. If I remember correctly, that was the concert where Mark bought and presented Guy with a red Fender Strat, and accidently hit Danny on the head with it.

My other memory is from 2006, when I went to Newcastle for the first time, and it was to attend to Variety Club tribute lunch to Mark, and present him with the Silver Heart. Which was also my birthday, 19th October, so that was the best present ever, not many people can say they had lunch with Mark Knopfler on their birthday.  Also there were John Illsley, Jimmy Nail, Tim Healey, Alan Shearer, Peter Beardsley, although he had to leave early. But when I went to the bar for a drink, who was there too?only Mr Bruce Welch from The Shadows, I was star struck, but said hello to him, he shook my hand, and then heard some music starting, and hurried off saying "Is Mark about to play" I also remember Mark's mum being presented with a huge bouquet of flowers. I was sat at the table with other fans who bought tickets through MKNews, I don't know who they were, but they could be on this forum, if it was you, please let me know.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2019, 04:29:31 PM »
I didn't get to see Dire Straits unfortunately, but I first got to see Mark in Bournemouth, 17th May 1996, but we got there late, and had to stand at the back, however we were directly in the middle of the stage, and the sound was great from where I was standing. I don't remember the set list but I remember being so nervous that I was finally going to see Mark live.

I had a great time seeing Mark on the Sailing to Philadelphia tour at The Royal Albert hall, it also my first visit there.

Another memory is being at the Brighton concert on the Get Lucky tour, that was the same gig that was used for the A Life in Songs documentary, I have tried looking for myself in the crowd, but can't see me, even though the camera is pointing my direction. If I remember correctly, that was the concert where Mark bought and presented Guy with a red Fender Strat, and accidently hit Danny on the head with it.

My other memory is from 2006, when I went to Newcastle for the first time, and it was to attend to Variety Club tribute lunch to Mark, and present him with the Silver Heart. Which was also my birthday, 19th October, so that was the best present ever, not many people can say they had lunch with Mark Knopfler on their birthday.  Also there were John Illsley, Jimmy Nail, Tim Healey, Alan Shearer, Peter Beardsley, although he had to leave early. But when I went to the bar for a drink, who was there too?only Mr Bruce Welch from The Shadows, I was star struck, but said hello to him, he shook my hand, and then heard some music starting, and hurried off saying "Is Mark about to play" I also remember Mark's mum being presented with a huge bouquet of flowers. I was sat at the table with other fans who bought tickets through MKNews, I don't know who they were, but they could be on this forum, if it was you, please let me know.

Great memories, James!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineiorch82

• Local Hero
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2019, 09:29:21 PM »
In my case, Badalona 2001. First time ever seeing the master, first row of course. Tears falling through my face at multiple times, no other artist has been even close to that.

Some shows later, I would pick Madrid 2019. Beautiful set, feeling kind of dizzy knowing that there probably won't be more opportunities to repeat this. Knopfler has always had a big place in my life,  with diverse grades of intensity, but he's been always there, from the first time listening Alchemy OUATW in my dad's car to this last beautiful show.

God bless you Mark.

OnlineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2019, 10:31:18 PM »

That was my first MK show too!!! 17th May 1996....
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 10:34:39 PM by Knopflerfan »
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2019, 11:37:32 PM »
Of the numerous shows I've seen with DS and Mark over the years it would have to be the Beaulieu charity concert in 2002 with my dad. Blazing sunshine, his first and only MK concert, great gig as well....

Good times....

Offlinedvschend

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2019, 10:38:35 AM »
Best memories are Billy Connely introducing at Wembley at Nelson Mandela Tribute. For me that is to date their best performance (and it's missing TR!)). Also my first DS show in Feyenoord Stadium in '92.

And that first time I got to officialy shoot him (no as an official concertphotographer, it's not what you think) in Amsterdam in 2010.

So many memories.....and then is my first RAH still to come

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2019, 10:53:20 AM »
Too many to mention for me, although not seeing him until Vancouver later this year. When that last song is played, whichever one it is, it will mean something special for me and there will be a tear in my eye! But the tears will be warm and will fall in a positive way. Seeing him around Europe both as the lead of DS and as the leader of his own crew over the year holds many memories. NHB at Ronnie Scotts in the 90's and being so close to the stage meant seeing his fingers dance and glide over the guitars just brought home what a special talent this man has and that he has been willing to share over the years is something special. But any concert, regardless of the setlist, when he walks out and takes that guitar in his hand you know you are going to witness something that means something to YOU personally and that is what I will miss. But ever so grateful for having witnessed what I have. Sigh! But as long as more music keeps coming, great!
i remember sitting at that first row table, in that tiny ronnie scotts, being so close (similar to RAH, but different) was just amazing...
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinegoon525

• Camerado
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2019, 06:34:22 PM »
Like Neville and Pottel, the experience of being just a few feet from him at the front table in Ronnie Scott’s has to rank high. I wonder if we were there the same night?

OfflineStiglar

• Local Hero
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2019, 02:29:34 AM »
You guys have some amazing experiences!

Being on the other side of the world I have far less experiences,

However I did first see MK in 2005, it was a good show and i'll never forget hearing that guitar in person for the first time, surreal!

My highlight though was seeing MK in 2010 in Milan, I had been into other music for a few years and to be honest hadn't listened to MK a great deal for some time. I was travelling through and the show happened to be on as I was going through Italy, I thought why not and purchased some tickets. It was the best thing I ever did, It completely rekindled my love of MK and since I hadn't been following the tours (I still bought the albums) It was amazing to hear things like HFB and the arrangement of MT. The BR opening was absolutely excellent also. The weather was perfect, the venue was beautiful. never forget it! Hoping to catch another show this tour and say goodbye. Great thread!

Love Expresso

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2019, 09:56:44 AM »
Hamburg June 1996 Stadtpark Open Airs were both nights very special to me. The first one on Saturday in heavy rain throughout the show but a totally unexpected set with so many Dire Straits versions and 16 min Sultans. The second night in a warm summer Sunday night seemed to be second try but this time better. That was the first time I realized the set list thing, playing the same songs in the same order with even the same jokes. Never was much of a concert goer in general and had never thought about touring and setlist things. But we got A Night in Summer Long Ago which was cut the night before. Heard Long Highway the second time. I was literally on a high for weeks after those two shows. Also the sound on these shows was unbelievable good. At the second night last row seeing the soundboard guy reliving every note was something. I don't know how I got home after that,  totally in a trance.

First concert ever for me was Dire Straits Bremen 1991. When the curtain went away and Mark was really there I totally was in the tunnel. Different to many pictures he smiled more or less all the time  during the first four songs and he seemed to be such a small guy,  especially when he stood next to John. In my imagination he had to be bigger. He moved so much on stage which I also had not expected. I went to Munich during school holidays without a ticket only because of the chance to see him again and got lucky in buying one for Munich Olympiahalle 1991 after the show started outside the venue, although I missed Calling Elvis when I finally got into the hall. I got You and your friend and Tunnel of Love.

Bremen 1992 Open Air was a very huge impact. Together with that big stage and with around 10 friends (not fans, just friends who took the opportunity) and the lovely warm summer night it was an unforgettable experience.

All my shows from 2001 to 2010 were just ok compared to that in seeing back. I was searching for and wanting back the sensational feelings of the shows before but never got there again, although the fan and forum thing started, the albums were great and of course it was great to see him again every single time. It got also more of a habit to go to his shows. Generally, when the seated thing started, much of the magic was gone for me and it got more and more some sort of nostalgic thing. We knew we would never get what we really want and had arranged with his strange decisions in doing live touring programmes. Like disciples we never dared to leave him for that.

There is a big exception in the solo concerts however.
First and second  Night London 2013 was the best thing I ever experienced with MK, it was surreal and almost a outer body experience for me. Although having been in the RAH in 2010 before,  the magic of the building and Mark's presence totally made an outstanding momento for me which is not repeatable. It is also not recreatable with the recording which doesn't do it no justice at all. I never listen to the recording of my best MK concert. That made me learn and realize what it's all about. It's an experience. One experience. I do not any longer try to recreate that with repeated going to multiple shows. In 2015 Dublin, Hamburg and Munich were all disappointments.

One of the biggest impacts in my life with MK was not a live show but the first listening of the Sailing To Philadelphia album. I was at home from work for three weeks to recover from a pretty long medical surgery and was tired and somehow still under the influence of the narcotics all the time. Sounds funny but it had been my first time being anesthetized. I was not allowed to do very much so I listened to the album literally the whole day. I had been surprised by the release as I had not expected to hear from him anymore after the time gap since 1996. Internet only started in August 2000 for me when the first search I did was Mark Knopfler and the surprising info about the STP release turned up. When the album played for the first time it seemed every note and word went directly into my DNA and my brain and body forever. It was not about analyzing it track by track being critical about it being good or not. It was just a totally magic (again) and literally mind blowing experience, the complete 60 minutes of it. Never had that again. Often wondered if I would have loved the album the same when the medical thing had not happened before. One of the biggest MK moments for me, only comparable to May 1985, when with Brothers in Arms it all began when the vinyl suddenly turned up in our living room..

LE
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 10:08:59 AM by Love Expresso »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 40 queries.