Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: #01 DTRW TOUR - Apr 25 2019 - Palau Sant Jordi, Barcelona, Spain #SPOILER#  (Read 106717 times)

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..

I think the real issue is one of timing. As you and I know Knopfler/Fingerstyle guitar is very precise and demanding, the slightest of errors can leave you looking a bit silly. That's what I've sensed from much of marks recent playing. It will be interesting to see what happens during the rest of the tour because it could just be 'rust' rather than age that we're picking up on.

Also note that on TR, for instance, he uses a much more overdriven guitar sound than previously. That makes things sound much more fluid and covers up moments of "imprecision". Same with Once Upon A Time.

Some may call it cheating, but I actually admire Mark for adjusting to reality and being able to make things work nonetheless. It would not work on Sultans, I think. It has and requires too many "twiddly bits" to be a proper version, and with a distorted sound it would sounds mushy.

I think the other thing we're forgetting is that in 'the day' 99% of marks solos were religiously practiced and drilled. In his solo career he has drifted away from this approach and likes to improvise more. This also probably accounts for the odd 'fall from the tightrope'...

hunter

I think the real issue is one of timing. As you and I know Knopfler/Fingerstyle guitar is very precise and demanding, the slightest of errors can leave you looking a bit silly. That's what I've sensed from much of marks recent playing. It will be interesting to see what happens during the rest of the tour because it could just be 'rust' rather than age that we're picking up on.

Also note that on TR, for instance, he uses a much more overdriven guitar sound than previously. That makes things sound much more fluid and covers up moments of "imprecision". Same with Once Upon A Time.

Some may call it cheating, but I actually admire Mark for adjusting to reality and being able to make things work nonetheless. It would not work on Sultans, I think. It has and requires too many "twiddly bits" to be a proper version, and with a distorted sound it would sounds mushy.

I think the other thing we're forgetting is that in 'the day' 99% of marks solos were religiously practiced and drilled. In his solo career he has drifted away from this approach and likes to improvise more. This also probably accounts for the odd 'fall from the tightrope'...

Good point. Which is why everything seemed so effortless before. To make the improvisation approach work and not turn into a mess, you really need to be on your toes and have a huge vocabulary at the ready.

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
I am currently listening to Sultans of Swing from Alchemy, and it FANTASTIC, Mark won't get back to that level again, but then again, he doesn't want to, he has evolved as a player and musician, which is something a lot of his contemporaries don't do. No matter how Mark plays, I would be happy at this concert, there is no other guitar player out there who does it for me like Mark Knopfler does. Like has been mentioned, his guitar playing is unique, his tone is wonderful, and the emotion he gets from the guitar is incredible, they are the things he has above any other guitarist I can think of. Legend.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
There is no doubt MK is 'The Master' .....
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinemilicz

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
I just watched Once Upon a Time in the West from this show on youtube and I gotta say it's disappointing.  One of my favorite songs, seeing it on the setlist really got me excited.  I hope he gets it sounding a bit more exciting by the time he rolls around to Milwaukee and Chicago.

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
I find it hard to be "dissapointed" by Once Upon a Time in the West" however he plays it. The fact he brought back such a huge song, and fan favourite from album 40 years ago is an amazing thing. Good on you son.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

hunter

I'm overwhelmed by being able to hear it live again after all these years. It could do with a slightly faster tempo, but the overall arrangement is wonderful.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
I'm really enjoying OUATITW very much, but I just wish he would yell out the Mother Mary line like he did on Alchemy!   It's only because I'm used to hearing it like that I suppose.   ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

hunter

I'm really enjoying OUATITW very much, but I just wish he would yell out the Mother Mary line like he did on Alchemy!   It's only because I'm used to hearing it like that I suppose.   ;)

Ditto. I guess he's trying to avoid karaoke mode at all costs.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
A soundboard recording is now on YT of the Barcelona concert.  Here is TR:

I really enjoyed it and I hope it returns occasionally during the rest of the tour.   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinecrimmer

• Camerado
  • BLUESY man Chris
cant believe this was almost a year ago , will have to relive this again on the 25th
SHANGR LA-2 concerts  KTGC-3 concerts 
ATRR- 1 concert GET LUCKY - 3 concerts
2011- 2 concerts PRIVATEERING- 6 concerts
TRACKER 6 concerts
DTRW Barcelona, leeds, Newcastle, RAH x2 ,Manchester, Birmingham,

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
Today a year ago we flew to Barcelona :)
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlinecrimmer

• Camerado
  • BLUESY man Chris
seems so weird that was a year ago, gonna get some Estrellas in and relive concert on the 25th , was lovely to watch up with everyone after the concert
SHANGR LA-2 concerts  KTGC-3 concerts 
ATRR- 1 concert GET LUCKY - 3 concerts
2011- 2 concerts PRIVATEERING- 6 concerts
TRACKER 6 concerts
DTRW Barcelona, leeds, Newcastle, RAH x2 ,Manchester, Birmingham,

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 43 queries.