Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: #18 DTRW TOUR - May 21 2019 - Royal Albert Hall, London, UK #SPOILER#  (Read 19283 times)

OfflineDarling Pretty

• Lady writer
  • DS Fan since April 1987-Miami Vice episode S02E03
Still think he will do gigs here and there.
Maybe 1 or 2 in each country. London. Berlin. Amsterdam. New york. Thats it. No special guests tonight?
Love will find a Way

Offlinecold on the tollgate

• Guitar George
Guy said thee were no guests tonight so it’s unlikely there’ll be a surprise

Offlinezigner

• Guitar George
Have only listened to a handful of versions, but tonight's Silvertown was the best I've heard by far.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
The "retirement" speech for this show didn't include any message that this was the last tour, unlike what he has said in most of the prior shows.  He said he thought about retiring, but couldn't because he loved the music too much.   A change of heart?   Or just a watered down version to avoid disappointing the audience?

The latter is what I am leaning to personally.  He might be thinking his original speech was too downbeat for a concert situation.  :-\
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinevr46mk

• Lady writer
  • Early Bird
Brothers in arms is BACK!!!

OfflineWaterline Man

• Lady writer

Hope it stays in for Dublin in Friday 👍
If it aint broke dont fix it!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms

Nice....
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineGuitarjack

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Wonder whether he'll play it tomorrow?

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
Wonder whether he'll play it tomorrow?

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

until now, same set with BIA or PTTE, no surprise tonight no surprise tomorrow I suppose  :think

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
Sat on the train home after the gig tonight and I have to say that there are some mixed emotions running round in my head right now.

Sound wise I thought it was patchy. I was sat 4 rows from the front, centre left arena. At times the sound was sublime, you could hear every last chime bar and cowbell. Other times marks voice seemed lost in the mix,  and at times (especially on r&j) some of the more acoustic sounds were lost.

The guitar sounds themselves were extraordinary. Overall good.

The concert itself. MK looks like he's really trying to bring it and he played some decent stuff tonight. But also several nasty greenies, especially right at the start of wam with a total foul up of bladen races! I've also never seen him mess up words like he did in speedway tonight singing the 2nd to last verse twice.

Our man is on the wane but he's still there shoulder to the wheel trying his best.

From a happy and sad longtime MK fan.

Offlineknopflertom

• Camerado
Sat on the train home after the gig tonight and I have to say that there are some mixed emotions running round in my head right now.

Sound wise I thought it was patchy. I was sat 4 rows from the front, centre left arena. At times the sound was sublime, you could hear every last chime bar and cowbell. Other times marks voice seemed lost in the mix,  and at times (especially on r&j) some of the more acoustic sounds were lost.

The guitar sounds themselves were extraordinary. Overall good.

The concert itself. MK looks like he's really trying to bring it and he played some decent stuff tonight. But also several nasty greenies, especially right at the start of wam with a total foul up of bladen races! I've also never seen him mess up words like he did in speedway tonight singing the 2nd to last verse twice.

Our man is on the wane but he's still there shoulder to the wheel trying his best.

From a happy and sad longtime MK fan.

For me wam was superb, better than in Barcelona!
Greetz Tom

Dortmund , Cologne 2015 done
Barcelona, RAH 21st, Oberhausen

Offlinegoon525

• Camerado
I too would have to give a slightly mixed report. Sound wise, guitars generally good, but both WAM and CBC suffered a little from an over-emphasised rather muddy bass. WAM was ok, given one or two errors, but I really don’t rate CBC that high as second song, I suppose the one thing it does do is maintain an upbeat momentum, but I’d much rather hear Dance Floor or What It Is in this slot.

Once Upon a Time was terrific, as was Silvertown, as was MfN. These three made up for the loss of Sultans and TR. I don’t think Heart Full of Holes works all that well as a live song, despite a good arrangement. The biggest problem with it is that MK's voice was having an off night, evident from early on when he seemed to have a frog in his throat in WAM. He just can’t carry Heart with his voice in this condition.

There are now so many in the band that I’d have been happy if he’d skipped the intros, they go on interminably.

The show achieved lift-off from Silvertown (superb - how can it have taken him 18 years to realise this would be a good song live), Speedway excellent (I didn’t notice the repeated verse; if I’m honest it’s not a song where I take much notice of the words!); Money great, and the final Going Home pretty bulletproof, and now a bit nostalgic for those of us who heard it in Edinburgh in a different context a couple of months ago.

Before that, I’d been rather hoping for Brothers rather than Piper. Why? Because while Pioer is a very good song, Brothers is a masterpiece. But I’m afraid not so much tonight. I’m no guitar expert, but I felt he was using the wrong guitar (did dmg or someone write about this the other day?) and as a result it seriously lacked the usual romance and emotion. Didn’t come off for me, and I’d rather have had Piper than this Brothers, perhaps the weakest of the dozen or so I’ve heard him play live.

All in all, despite my reservations, a very good show, and the audience left happy. Relative to previous solo tours (I’ve seen them all) I’d say about 7.5 out of 10.

Offlinedvschend

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
For me this was way better than last week in Cologne. His voice wasn't that good though, but it was really the crowd that gave so much energy. And what about this venue. Even a dull song (for me) like "My bacon roll" became interesting cause of the lighting of the stage. This was probably my last time I saw him live and to me this was the perfect closer on his own turf. Despite my doubts of dropping TR earlier on this tour, I'm glad I was there.

For those who want more pics, there are more (and a review in dutch) on my site https://reviewnl.wordpress.com/
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 07:57:43 AM by dvschend »

hunter

I have only watched clips, but my impression is that this quote from the Leeds gig review very well sums up where Mark 'is at' at the moment:

Instead, the Glasgow-born guitarist let his fingers mostly do the talking across a two-hour-plus set that ran the near-breadth of his career, taking in songs on a near 40-year journey stretching back to 1979, with the sort of performance that arguably more than anything played to his strengths as an arranger of melody and mood more than anything. (emphasis mine)

I think Mark is wise doing what he does, steering clear of attempts at the guitar dazzlery of yesteryear.

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
Imelda May was at the concert last night, even if she wasn't on stage  :)

https://twitter.com/ImeldaOfficial?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 40 queries.