Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Why the Dobro on R&J ?  (Read 16351 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: Why the Dobro on R&J ?
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2019, 10:28:02 PM »
Best guess now that he's just decided he likes the sound.

He plays a National on Bonaparte so could use it if he wanted.

Strange as the selected guitar is the one that sound less similar to the original from all the guitars he could had chosen...

That's the point. He wanted a change, not a replica. He also playes a Les Paul on Going Home, which I think is just wrong, especially with such a distorted sound. But he wanted a change.
But the original recording of Going Home had a distorted sound, so it’s a change back to the original sound then. I like that distorted sound on that song. He did that i 96 too.

True. But for so many years it was played with a clean Stratocaster sound that that is the 'established' Going Home sound. To me anyway. And the original studio recording is as dull as all get out.

Of course that was the Schecter Stratocaster and not the Fender he uses these days.  I always felt his Schecter’s had a thicker and better sound for most songs.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2019, 11:44:50 PM »

Strange as the selected guitar is the one that sound less similar to the original from all the guitars he could had chosen...

That's the point. He wanted a change, not a replica. He also playes a Les Paul on Going Home, which I think is just wrong, especially with such a distorted sound. But he wanted a change.
But the original recording of Going Home had a distorted sound, so it’s a change back to the original sound then. I like that distorted sound on that song. He did that i 96 too.

True. But for so many years it was played with a clean Stratocaster sound that that is the 'established' Going Home sound. To me anyway. And the original studio recording is as dull as all get out.

Of course that was the Schecter Stratocaster and not the Fender he uses these days.  I always felt his Schecter’s had a thicker and better sound for most songs.

Lovely bell like tone on that guitar with the renowned F500Ts. I put a set of them in a build I was putting together last year, so hard to find these days,  and they are in my opinion the best sounding Strat pickups ever. Their range of tone is incredible...

OfflineBilly’s Tune

• Camerado
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2019, 10:07:31 PM »

And more recently, at the Local Hero musical, going home is played on a Les Paul, so he’s probably given that instruction for the musical so follows suit!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.034 seconds with 39 queries.